Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,366 posts in this topic

Just spoke with two people from my hometown last night.  One is 37, no underlying conditions.  The other is my cousin, 39, at-risk (amputee, cancer survivor, and-and-and).  Both fully vaccinated.  Know of others that are even younger and healthier who are fully vaccinated.  (This is in the US, for anyone in the back.)

While the idea of prioritizing people was a good one in the beginning, especially vaccinating the elderly and those who care for them first, at this point with half of all Berliners not responding to invitations, it's possibly time to open up the vaccination centers for all that want it.  I'm comfortable with being lowest priority, but at this point, with so many reluctant invitees, it's time to let everyone who wants to, get the jab. 

4 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Just spoke with two people from my hometown last night.  One is 37, no underlying conditions.  The other is my cousin, 39, at-risk (amputee, cancer-survivor, and-and-and).  Both fully vaccinated.  Know of others that are even younger and healthier who are fully vaccinated.  (This is in the US, for anyone in the back.)

While the idea of prioritizing people was a good one in the beginning, especially vaccinating the elderly and those who care for them first, at this point with half of all Berliners not responding to invitations, it's possibly time to open up the vaccination centers for all that want it.  I'm comfortable with being lowest priority, but at this point, with so many reluctant invitees, it's time to let everyone who wants to, get the jab. 

I read somewhere that they are starting to close vaccination centers in some parts of the US because those who wanted the vaccine already got it.  In other areas, they don't have enough.  Some people are driving for hours to get it.  A friend who lives in Austin told me that in order to get an appointment there, they have two days per week that you can log in to their website at 17:45 to be put in a pre-queue.  Then you wait all evening until your number comes up and once it's up, you have 10 min. to make an appointment and nobody actually tells you how this works, you have to figure it out.   She, her husband and 17 yo. son all got their shots by now.  Daughter is too young.

I don’t believe that 🇺🇸 or 🇩🇪 or 🇨🇭will reach herd immunity.  I know plenty of educated folks here who are taking the “wait and see” approach.  One of them told me today “It’ll be interesting to see how you fare.”  Such persons often qualify their statements to let you know they aren’t anti-vax or anti-science, just cautious.  😐  They tell you they come from “hardy stock.”  So do I.  As I’ve mentioned my GG lived to be 111, while the drinkers and smokers only last until the 90s.  😂 I’m still getting my jabs.

29 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I'm comfortable with being lowest priority, but at this point, with so many reluctant invitees, it's time to let everyone who wants to, get the jab. 

Someone at work made 2 appts.Quite possible here in BW with 2 email adresses and the second is 4 days after the 1st.He´s keeping both appts in case he can´t make the first one.

Fucking idiot basically and I wonder how often this happens.

Also when I went for mine when you get checked in at the beginning the soldier has a list and on that list was 4 or 5 appts crossed out while others left uncrossed.I wonder if those crossed are the ones where people just didn´t turn up.

I don´t think they should just open it up in BW because there are still needy people not yet vaccinated because the system to get an appt is so fucked up.

10 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

They tell you they come from “hardy stock.”

OMG and while I am often considerably less "wokey" than many of my peers, I have to say that this statement is so nauseatingly ablelist that it's hard to know where to begin!

First, don't tell me at 50 that you're of "hardy stock."  Tell me that at 95.

Second, wow, way to not give a shit about everyone else that isn't so (theoretically) lucky.

I've almost, but not quite yet reached middle age and despite lifelong hypochondria never been seriously ill a day in my life.  Never fainted, never threw up from the flu, never spent a night in the hospital, never been operated on, etc.  All that notwithstanding, I don't overestimate the powers of my immune system against Covid, and have zero interest in fucking around and finding out.

Lots of people come from decidedly sickly stock, and it is a blessing of the age of enlightenment that we treat these people also as humans with the right to live, and don't drown them in the river at birth.

This "hardy stock" shit has irritated me on more than one occasion. 

They should start fining people for making appointments and not showing up unless they have an excuse from their doctor.

37 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I don’t believe that 🇺🇸 or 🇩🇪 or 🇨🇭will reach herd immunity.  I know plenty of educated folks here who are taking the “wait and see” approach.  One of them told me today “It’ll be interesting to see how you fare.”  Such persons often qualify their statements to let you know they aren’t anti-vax or anti-science, just cautious.  😐  They tell you they come from “hardy stock.”  So do I.  As I’ve mentioned my GG lived to be 111, while the drinkers and smokers only last until the 90s.  😂 I’m still getting my jabs.

When the poll started on here about whether people are planning on getting the vaccine, only 50% were planning to get the vaccine when available while another 30% wanted to wait for a year to check if the first group arm would fall off.  At current, our poll stands at 65% saying yes and about 20% saying they'll wait and see.  In the general public, it's currently only 49% saying hell yes, gimme the shot while you have 15% saying no and never with the rest being somewhere in between.  So yeah, I'm not too optimistic about reaching herd immunity either.

There’s a young man I teach in one of my companies and I can’t bring up the topic of Covid with him anymore.  From the beginning, he has refused to accept that this is a problem.  He refused to wear a mask until he was forced to by the supermarkets.  His company provide self-tests so the employees can come to the office once or twice a week (there are only 9 of them in the company). He refuses to take a test because it goes against his belief, so he’s permanently working from home, which his bosses don’t particularly like. He has made it very clear to everyone that he will not be getting a vaccination, and neither will he allow his daughters to get it. He has also said that we’re idiots if we do get vaccinated. 

This guy has a degree in chemistry, he’s clever and has a good position in his company.  We often discussed the situation of covid in the past, but we’ve had to stop.  I’ve tried to discuss it calmly with him, but he always has a good reason, in his head, as to why it’s all bullshit and an infringement on our freedoms.  Even when my friend’s husband died of Covid, he claimed that it was probably a bacterial infection he picked up when he was on a ventilator, that’s when I decided not to go near the subject with him again.  I also know that he’s not the only one who thinks like this, he has a wide circle of friends and I believe a lot of them feel the same. 

I have some facebook friends who post stuff like that.  It's all a conspiracy etc.  I haven't bothered discuss it with them.  I saw two ex coworkers posting on facebook.  One got the shot and the other was telling him that he would have been a good fit in 1930's Germany, obedient citizen.  I really don't know why people are so crazy about it.  Even if covid were a hoax, why are they afraid of the vaccine?  Loads of people got it and are still fine.  Sure, some think there is a computer chip or some surveilance involved and they are posting that from their cell phone with GPS location :)

I was disappointed to learn that some very good friends of ours, a couple in Slovenia, also don't believe in the vaccination which leads me to believe they are corona deniers as well. We spend a lot of time with them in the summer. Their boat is on the same pier as ours. They are older and she is German and he is Slovenian. They live in Ljubljana and are quite well off. I'm really flummoxed. Now I have to decide whether to hang out with them or not this summer when/if we do get to go to our boat. Mind you, we always meet up outside in one cockpit or another or for outdoor dining. Problem is that my immune system is severely compromised. 

So sad and hard choices. 

Just got an Email!!! Appt in early May!!! Is it weird that I am really excited? I must be losing it. 

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I was disappointed to learn that some very good friends of ours, a couple in Slovenia, also don't believe in the vaccination which leads me to believe they are corona deniers as well. We spend a lot of time with them in the summer. Their boat is on the same pier as ours. They are older and she is German and he is Slovenian. They live in Ljubljana and are quite well off. I'm really flummoxed. Now I have to decide whether to hang out with them or not this summer when/if we do get to go to our boat. Mind you, we always meet up outside in one cockpit or another or for outdoor dining. Problem is that my immune system is severely compromised. 

So sad and hard choices. 

Indeed, tough choices. If you are compromised, then you have to be careful, of course. Or maybe just have to avoid them.
Do you know if they are Covid deniers or just wary of a newly produced vaccine ( whichever one ) with unknown possible long term side effects? You write “ which leads me to believe they are corona deniers.” That is not necessarily the same thing.

I mean, Govts keep changing their recommendations as well. “ This one for the under 60s, this one for the over 60s etc”.

We should all stay alert but also critical of anything any Govt tells us. Common sense. 

31 minutes ago, john g. said:

Do you know if they are Covid deniers or just wary of a newly produced vaccine ( whichever one ) with unknown possible long term side effects?

This...

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

also don't believe in the vaccination

Doesn´t seem to show concern over the side effects etc of the vaccine.

Why should she do what you say?

Cv 19 is here and it here to stay...     

We are taught to clean our teeth from the age of 18 months and yet we are rewared when to tooth fairy leaves a shilling under our Pillow!!!  

go figure...

Because it is fraufruit who has to deal with whether to meet her friends. Not you or I.

Fraufruit can also ask them about their teeth and their experience with tooth fairies. 
I no longer have enough teeth to ask that question!😂

I feel all corona deniers should be made to do volunteer work in the hospitals to get a first hand experience of people gasping for air. Right now eg in India, there are so many dead people from Corona that there are long delays at the crematoriums to burn the bodies.

My mother, my sister and her husband, my niece, my friends, their families are all down with Corona.

Corona is a reality, and vaccination ( good, bad, effective, less effective ) is our only hope.

Check out this story: ‘The system has collapsed’: India’s descent into Covid hell https://flip.it/psF-QW 

@john g. It seems that Fraufruit is concerned that they will pose a threat to her compromised immune system if they don't get vaccinated. And quite rightly so. What they believe about covid - 19 is neither here nor there in this aspect..

8 hours ago, RajeshG said:

I feel all corona deniers should be made to do volunteer work in the hospitals to get a first hand experience of people gasping for air. Right now eg in India, there are so many dead people from Corona that there are long delays at the crematoriums to burn the bodies.

My mother, my sister and her husband, my niece, my friends, their families are all down with Corona.

Corona is a reality, and vaccination ( good, bad, effective, less effective ) is our only hope.

Check out this story: ‘The system has collapsed’: India’s descent into Covid hell https://flip.it/psF-QW 

It's the same in Brazil. I don't understand how Corona deniers can close their eyes and insist Corona is harmless or doesn't exist. These scenes should be shown on our TV screens several times daily. 

The guy I'm talking about doesn't deny that Covid exists, he just doesn't believe it's as bad as people think.  Yes, lots of people could get it and yes, some will die, but most will recover, so, in his mind, what's the problem, this happens every year with the flu.  He doesn't agree that the measures being taken are right.  In his opinion, masks don't work, tests aren't accurate and the vaccine is too new to be trusted.  

He could lose his job over this, and that's the part I don't understand.  If and when things settle down, part of his job is to travel around the world attending events and trade fairs to promote his company and their products. If he doesn't believe in the measures, that is his choice, but if he doesn't have a vaccine, he may not be able to do his job.