Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,101 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

In Iceland they've been doing two tests, one when you arrive and another 5 days later.  During the 5 days, you should be in quarantine.  Tourists are rather likely to use the time for sightseeing as many of them are only staying 5-6 days in the first place.

Apparently in Iceland, if they are sightseeing, that, along with going for a drive, using public transport, going to another town, or tourist attractions, restaurants or bars or gatherings of any size is not allowed. Even entering grocery stores and pharmacies is also forbidden during the quarantine period. Although you can go for a walk if there are only a few people about. If you've had the full course of any vaccine, the rules don't apply and no quarantine is required.

Down here in Austria, you need a negative test to be allowed in, and must quarantine for 10 days, but if you get another negative test after 5 days, quarantine stops. Mind you, hotels are all shut except for essential travel. You can still get supplies from groceries and chemists yourself while in quarantine, but have to always wear FFP2 masks in any shops, as do we all here. There are no exceptions yet for people fully vaccinated, they must quarantine too at the moment. My son and I had our first AZ shot today, the second will be in mid-June.

Was just reading that in France also dentists and vetenarians are allowed to vaccinate. Let's hope the dentist doesn't mix it up with an anaesthetic in the mouth 🤔.

15 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Was just reading that in France also dentists and vetenarians are allowed to vaccinate. Let's hope the dentist doesn't mix it up with an anaesthetic in the mouth 🤔.

A little ketamine from the vet could be a fun ride... (joking! Ketamine is an animal anaesthetic used as a party drug by humans).

More seriously, andybody familiar with injection techniques can *administer* a vaccine. The includes nurses in the US - unfortunately, German nurses were frequently barred from given injections, that's gradually changing.

There was a glitch in the vaccination appointments software and yesterday hundreds and hundreds of people had an appointment at 5:20 pm in the vaccination center in Berlin Tegel former airport.   The line seemed to be more than 1 km long from the pictures I saw and it took a couple of hours of fast pacing vaccination to get rid of the line.

Now, from the pictures I saw, it looked like almost all were youngish people, definitely not 80+ or 70+.    I really hope those people were all high priority workers or the chronically ill people with priority because it really looked fishy.

21 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Now, from the pictures I saw, it looked like almost all were youngish people, definitely not 80+ or 70+.    I really hope those people were all high priority workers or the chronically ill people with priority because it really looked fishy.

Interesting, I spoke yesterday to an old couple I know who live in Potsdam just down the road from Berlin, he is 87 and has just had his first jab, she is 82 and has an appointment for the first jab in mid April. Very fishy!

1 minute ago, keith2011 said:

Interesting, I spoke yesterday to an old couple I know who live in Potsdam just down the road from Berlin, he is 87 and has just had his first jab, she is 82 and has an appointment for the first jab in mid April. Very fishy!

Being old and not being vaccinated yet around here has no conspiracy theories.   You were supposed to be proactive and go to the website and book the appointment (if that was a good plan for 80+ people is another discussion).  If you did that you would have received your first jab the latest the first half of March.   Except if you were unlucky and your appointment was cancelled when they stopped vaccinating with AZ, like it happened to my buddy and his wife, they had to rebook and have now appointments for the first jab in mid April.

In the meantime they started vaccinating again with AZ and I saw yesterday in the local newspaper they were asking people in the approved groups to make their bookings because there were tons of AZ free slots.

But your friends should probably be vaccinated in Brandenburg so the rules and logistics might be different and I have no idea.

Brandenburg is on the 70s group now. Apparently they sent out individual letters to mop up the 80+ group who hadn't yet had it. 

I'm very glad that a lot of younger people in the permitted occupations are getting it. 

20 hours ago, kaju said:

Apparently in Iceland, if they are sightseeing, that, along with going for a drive, using public transport, going to another town, or tourist attractions, restaurants or bars or gatherings of any size is not allowed. Even entering grocery stores and pharmacies is also forbidden during the quarantine period. Although you can go for a walk if there are only a few people about. If you've had the full course of any vaccine, the rules don't apply and no quarantine is required.

I've been seeing photos lately of hundreds of people in big groups watching the volcano. Not much distancing.

14 minutes ago, Feierabend said:

Brandenburg is on the 70s group now. Apparently they sent out individual letters to mop up the 80+ group who hadn't yet had it. 

I'm very glad that a lot of younger people in the permitted occupations are getting it. 

Could be that is it, they did say they were sent letters with the appointments recently.

so. It's Mardi Gras again in my neighborhood.  Really a party feeling in the streets.  Groups thronging the canal, zero distance.  In front of the businesses where things are being sold to-go, groups of people huddle close together, drinking (alcohol--isn't that still forbidden?), smoking (for me seems hazardous because you're putting your in-public, unwashed hands more or less inside your mouth every time you take a drag), hugging and chatting.  Inside the businesses are what appear to be employees PLUS homies, in any case, people not appearing to do any work but sitting close to each other at the bar of the closed-to-the-public establishment, unmasked, smoking, drinking and chatting.  Groups of people gathered around spätis, masks around chins.

Müller won't pull the Notbremse and it's clear to me why.  In a study I posted here some time ago about the difference between hand washers and non-hand washers it found that there are some people (around 50% of any given population IIRC) who don't respond to being TOLD something is dangerous or that preventive measures are necessary--they won't consider invisible or hypothetical things a threat until they themselves or someone close to them has suffered consequences.  In short, many people won't take the rules seriously until the situation is so dire that they are terrorized into compliance.  Before that point, no chance.

We are fucked. 

6 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Müller won't pull the Notbremse and it's clear to me why.

1) Its Berlin

2) Bunch of lefties...

For the life of me I can't see how you connect "a bunch of lefties" and a resistance to following corona-regeln, which around these parts is regarded as a decidedly right-wing trait. 

shrug.

8 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

For the life of me I can't see how you connect "a bunch of lefties" and a resistance to following corona-regeln

Because the left (especially in Berlin) is anti-authoritarian and doesn't think laws apply to them? 

15 hours ago, HEM said:

1) Its Berlin

2) Bunch of lefties...

More like a bunch of anti-system anarchists.

To me it is like this:

- I am going to live in the heart of the rebellious part of the city.  Because it is full of cool anarchists and nice cafes and bars. And lots of arts.

- Corona Time

- Why the heck are these anarchists not playing ball?  Why are the cafes and bars opened? Why is the Major not doing anything?

And as far as I know, those districts are not always leaning to the left in a massive majoritarian way.  But it is true plenty of those anarchists would prefer to vote left because they have no real choice.  And that's probably why SPD wins in most of them.  If you even consider SPD as "leftist".

P.S., In the mean time, nothing happens in my boring neighbourhood, way too boring.

P.P.S. Leftist here.  Lived with the hipsters for some time.   In case I am accused of the opposite.

if I were to hazard a guess, the thing that defines/unites resistance to adhering to the rules is individualism (not always evil, but often not very useful, in some cases downright hazardous to the health and well-being of others), selfishness, a lack of willingness/understanding that we all have to take care of each other, we have to protect and support the weakest, etc.

To me these are things that usually go hand-in-hand with conservatism--every man for himself, and whoever has not managed to pull himself up by his bootstraps can blame himself.  Don't ask me to help/care about the weaker or more vulnerable, they're no concern of mine, it's not my responsibility to take care of them.  

Which to my mind is completely anathema to everything left-wing ideas stand for or are trying to achieve.

Not to mention the ostentatious displays of Reichsflaggen at corona demos.  Leftists won't be caught dead at those demos because they don't march with Nazis.  If a critical view is to be taken of the rules then in a different form, but still always with the mask on.  Punkt. 

You have it half way right (no pun intended).   Most leftists wouldn't join the Corona-demos.  But in Berlin plenty of "leftists" are not following the rules either or at least following them only when they really have to and ignoring them the rest of the time.  And they have different reasons for disagreeing with them, lots of them because they want the hard party back, if is funny how Berghain became the symbol of politics for some people.     Just use common sense, go outside, the city is literally full, almost like nothing is happening.  Do you really think all those people outside having fun are all the CDU and AFD gang?  Specially in your neighborhood, I would bet most of them are not.  

If one thing the Pandemie has shown us is that political views are not written in stone.   I myself am so fed up with the current situation that even if I am a leftists to the core I changed my mind about a few things and understand that critical times can't be handled with the same mentality as when everything is OK.  I am not calling for a dictatorship to take control, but some temporarily changes should be done to the laws in order to react to the situation.  And while the Infektionsschutzgesetz is there already, it was done in the typical German way that fast reaction is still not possible.

People want something to be done but at the same time less restrictions.  It does not compute.

I agree with much of what you say and please note that I was not the original person who decided to politicize the matter.  The only thing I initially stated was that a study has found that some people's brains are wired not to take abstract threats seriously.  Then others came around and blamed "the left," which was simply too absurd to leave uncommented upon, although I did consider it.

Well, to be fair, "the left"is in power in Berlin and they are not doing much.  Probably because if they do something their "base" will be angry.   So nothing different from Trump and the MAGA people, only the other way around.   

But it is my personal opinion that left parties win in the hip districts because the anarchists feel closest to the left, not because they really believe in the left ideas (but they might support a few of them).    Plenty of the typical Berlin post-hipsters live in their own world, they have found the way to have a happy life with little and they were OK in their small sheltered boxes until sh*t hit the fan and they had to face real life.  So they refuse to take responsibilities and the city refuse to make them do it.  In the mean time the party goes on.

Notice with "anarchists" I do not mean the punk living on the streets.   I guess anyone living in Berlin would easily understand what I mean.   Berlin political ideals of the core of the hip districts can't be implemented in real life.   And the city instead of bringing them some dosis of reality they encourage them, for example the crap law to freeze the rents, which will most probably do down sooner or later and do more damage and making the situation worse.