Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,101 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Metall said:

Oh God... now the German media are dropping hints foreign travel may be restricted or forbidden... I can't decide if it's "too little, too late" or " too much, but useless" ...

There's been a de facto ban for ages already, don't you think?

For all practical purposes, unless you're retired or otherwise independent and have lots of time to kill, who has time to quarantine at both ends of a trip abroad?  

but it's true that the terms they start dropping in the media are a pretty accurate indicator of what will actually happen.  That's why it seems like the Ausgangssperre (sp?) and strict lockdown are coming.  In other news, in my other haunts of the internet, my guess is already coming true--people now want the hard lockdown and are asking why it isn't happening/hasn't already happened yet.  People are simple and predictable.  You say you're going to do something, then backtrack on it, there's bound to be people who will jump up and demand to know why you didn't follow through.  I still think this whole act is just to prime people for the idea of a really hard lockdown and to get them to convince each other of its potential benefit before lowering the boom.  

49 minutes ago, silty1 said:

For all practical purposes, unless you're retired or otherwise independent and have lots of time to kill, who has time to quarantine at both ends of a trip abroad?  

A warning is not the same as a ban. The advice is not to travel abroad. Mallorca, is a no-risk area, so no local quarantine required. The same upon return in Germany.

1 hour ago, silty1 said:

A student of mine headed off to the Dominican Republic last Saturday for 2 weeks.  He will quarantine for however long is required when he gets back, while working from home, as so many people are doing anyway.

That's great for him.  I would have to stay at home on unpaid leave for however long it takes, because my desired destination is a risk area, which btw also requires two weeks on arrival.  So there are some people travelling, sure.  No surprise that the majority are not.

That's the point, it works for some people, it doesn't for others.  Personally, much as I would love to visit my family in Ireland, I don't want to sit in an plane for 2 hours with other people there and back, it's not worth the risk to me.

The risk in the plane doesn't bother me, it's all the time like I said at either end.  Too high a barrier. 

I am already frustrated with the situation and the lack of actions to improve.   It is proven that what we are doing is not enough, so why don't we do something different?   Other countries have successfully tried other strategies.   Like doing short hard lockdowns, even Merkel used the same terminology as Singapore at least once when announcing the now defunct 1-5 lockdown, she called it "Circuit Breaker".    We could try doing 1 week hard lockdowns and then open things again for 1 week, letting people shop for whatever they need in that week.  Maybe extending the opening hours, opening on Sundays, letting companies hire extra stuff with flexible contracts for those extra hours and keep the normal employees under Kurzarbeit and reduced hours.  We could allow restaurants to open and put all their tables outside on the sidewalk.  And so many things we could do if we were flexible.   But no, we continue doing this crappy lockdown that is not really a lockdown, you go outside and the streets are full, here there is even traffic jam every day in the morning and late afternoon.  And meanwhile most shops closed or handicapped with the crappy "online booking", so we are forcing most people to buy everything from damn Amazon and making Bezos richer and richer.  And Amazon probably do not pay any local taxes.   I really thought Germany was the land that could handle this properly, because people are used to rules and pragmatism.  But no, at the end individualism is more important and we can't risk our "freedoms".   We could be flexible for some months, make things better for everyone and in one year we could go back to living in crystal castles.  But no.  And whatever the government do it will be wrong, if they do harsh lockdown then we want our freedoms, if they don't do harsh lockdown then why the heck they didn't do anything about it.

Everything you describe is exactly what Germany isn't. It's not fast moving, flexible, pragmatic or forward thinking. It's taken this long to get contactless payments. They still can't get click and collect up and running, even after a year of this shit. And the vaccination program...well...

Germany is solid, dependable, good at what it knows and does. But this pandemic has exposed it's weaknesses. They killed it at the start of this thing, but the inability to move fast is now leaving it lagging.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Mallorca, is a no-risk area, so no local quarantine required.

How can a place that is taking visitors from diverse locations be no risk? Are those negative tests fool-proof?

@ Gman: That is an excellent description. Can you do one for the Brits ?

Anyone who thinks Germany's vaccination programme is slow hasn't seen France. Sorry about the one-upmanship...

9 minutes ago, theGman said:

They still can't get click and collect up and running

This x 1000

In UK since like forever you can do your supermarket shopping from the Internets and you go there and just collect it.    Covid was the perfect opportunity to implement something like this, but nope, because first they allowed supermarkets to operate as per normal, so why change?  And second because to implement click&collect you might need more employees, difficult when discounters run a whole supermarket with 1 or 2 employees.

So many lost opportunities.

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

While your argument is valid I see no connection with what happened.  The purposed and failed lockdown was just 5 days of lockdown in which 3 days were public holidays.   So if that's the plan what's the real hard sell?   To have a 1 day lockdown on a Sunday?

There is absolutely no connection with what happened.

Read Dessas post then what you from me quoted.I did not say this happened I was answering Dessa theory.

58 minutes ago, theGman said:

Everything you describe is exactly what Germany isn't. It's not fast moving, flexible, pragmatic or forward thinking. It's taken this long to get contactless payments. They still can't get click and collect up and running, even after a year of this shit. And the vaccination program...well...

Germany is solid, dependable, good at what it knows and does. But this pandemic has exposed it's weaknesses. They killed it at the start of this thing, but the inability to move fast is now leaving it lagging.

Dictionary

inertia
/ɪˈnəːʃə/

noun

1. 1.
    a tendency to do nothing or to remain unchanged.
    "the bureaucratic inertia of the various tiers of government"

3 hours ago, silty1 said:

That's great for him.  I would have to stay at home on unpaid leave for however long it takes, because my desired destination is a risk area, which btw also requires two weeks on arrival.  So there are some people travelling, sure.  No surprise that the majority are not.

Then there are the local rules.  I often go walking in 🇨🇭, a “risk area”.  Those who live on the border here are allowed to.  But I’m not supposed to cross border shop or go in someone’s house.  Same for them.  People are doing what they want.  No control is occurring. 

3 hours ago, silty1 said:

Of course there are a few places you can fly to that don't have quarantine.  The list of places where you actually to have to quarantine upon return is pretty long, though. 

If I fly anywhere and back through my home airport (ZRH) Germany has no knowledge of it.  No one would be the wiser if I didn’t register or quarantine.  I have not done this and I am not recommending it.  But I know it can/does occur.

12 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

If I fly anywhere and back through my home airport (ZRH) Germany has no knowledge of it.  No one would be the wiser if I didn’t register or quarantine.  I have not done this and I am not recommending it.  But I know it can/does occur.

But you need a neg Covid test to fly into CH?

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

But you need a neg Covid test to fly into CH?

Within 48 hours before you depart from the risk area.  So someone who takes the test can still catch it and bring back over unfortunately.  

2 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Within 48 hours before you depart from the risk area.  So someone who takes the test can still catch it and bring back over unfortunately.  

In Iceland they've been doing two tests, one when you arrive and another 5 days later.  During the 5 days, you should be in quarantine.  Tourists are rather likely to use the time for sightseeing as many of them are only staying 5-6 days in the first place.