Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,366 posts in this topic

I went to the Baumarkt today to finally get some flower boxes. Fairly few customers were around!

I did my research - the radio *yesterday* reported the hardware stores were about as busy as on a Saturday.

Looks like the people already got their hardware needs covered by now. :D

My mother-in-law is a teacher (in BaWü) so has official priority for a vaccine. Some of her students have had coronavirus while in the room with her, discovered after the fact. Though luckily (from masks and the power of Stoßluften) she did not catch it, and lately it's mostly online for her anyhow.

Anyway, on Monday she finally went to the nearest centre with stock, an hour away (they live in Freiburg, not an isolated forest dorf). After the initial hey-ho, the told her she cannot get a vaccine after all. Why? She is 64 and a bit, and the vaccine set aside for teachers is only for people up to age 64. She'd have to be at least 15ish years older to be eligible for the other one, apparently. 

What now? No one really seemed to know.

But I also recently met someone vaccinated. Went to view a house rental and the lady showing us around (80+) told us she had been jabbed just that morning.

11 hours ago, alderhill said:

Anyway, on Monday she finally went to the nearest centre with stock, an hour away (they live in Freiburg, not an isolated forest dorf). After the initial hey-ho, the told her she cannot get a vaccine after all. Why? She is 64 and a bit, and the vaccine set aside for teachers is only for people up to age 64. She'd have to be at least 15ish years older to be eligible for the other one, apparently. 

My understanding that she should be allowed to get it as long as she hasn't turned 65 yet. 

https://www.rki.de/SharedDocs/FAQ/COVID-Impfen/gesamt.html

11 hours ago, alderhill said:

What now? No one really seemed to know.

She should try contacting her local Gesundheitsamt and/or the state Gesundheitsministerium for written confirmation that she is allowed to get it.

So annoying, I'm eligible for the jab because of my profession which I practice part time, but am too old for the AZ which is the one on offer to us.  When will they update their data? The jab has now been given to huge numbers of the elderly in the UK and their hospitalisation rates have fallen dramatically.

Read the Twitter thread in the article. The foreign secretary could easily clear up any confusion by simply stating what percentage of UK manufactured vaccine has been exported by manufacturers on UK soil. He won't though.

The answer is zero or virtually zero whereas the manufacturers based in the EU have exported about one third of their output to date, including to the UK.

I'm getting really sick of the UK's spin in this. They contractually obligated AZ not to export anything until the UK's needs were met but then criticise individual EU countries which have seen similar death rates (Italy) from blocking exports using different legal means, but not even imposing a blanket ban.

Charles Michel is entirely correct, there's more than one way to block exports. The UK government chose to do it contractually.

2 hours ago, murphaph said:

Charles Michel is entirely correct, there's more than one way to block exports. The UK government chose to do it contractually.

I would say there is a big difference between expecting a company to fulfil  its contracts than stopping a company fulfilling its contracts by banning exports (as Italy did).

You live in Germany you must know that contracts have nothing to  do with fairness.

The UK banned exports of a whole raft of medicines used to treat Covid as early as last year, regardless of what civil contracts were in force. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say!

Wales First Minister Mark Drakeford has been told to “respect the office” of the Prime Minister after he was shown to say Boris Johnson “really, really is awful” in a documentary.

The Welsh Labour leader made the comments following a Cobra meeting over Zoom back in December with Mr Johnson, who is heard saying he wanted to “urgently” discuss the implications of a lorry travel ban into France.

The footage, broadcast in an S4C film on Sunday about Mr Drakeford’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, cuts away from the meeting for “confidentiality rules” before the first minister reappears and remarks: “Dear me, he really, really is awful.

“Imagine that some deadly new variant of the virus had been discovered in France and they were trying to persuade us that there was no need to take any action to stop French lorry drivers from driving across the continent.”

On Monday, the leader of the Welsh Conservatives in the Senedd Andrew RT Davies criticised Mr Drakeford’s comments, saying they were not “a good look” for him.

My mother should get her first vaccination dose tomorrow.

AZ.

grrrrrrrrrrr

Bloody bums -
That's what the Germans get for sending
always their scrap to Europe.
Flintenuschi should take care of her daddy Ernst Albrecht -
or look after his grave...
WTF

Can't be arsed to google him.
Still hate him.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has urged countries not to pause Covid vaccinations, as several major EU member states halted their rollouts of the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab.

It said there was no evidence of a link between the vaccine and blood clots.

Germany, France, Italy and Spain joined smaller nations in halting vaccinations as a precaution while checks are made.

The WHO's vaccine safety experts are meeting on Tuesday to discuss the jab.

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) will meet on the same day and is due to draw conclusions on Thursday. It has also said the vaccine should continue to be used.

There have been a number of cases in Europe of blood clots developing after the vaccine was administered.

However, experts say these were no more than the number of blood-clot incidents typically reported within the general population.

About 17 million people in the EU and the UK have received a dose of the vaccine, with fewer than 40 cases of blood clots reported as of last week, AstraZeneca said.

Link

The list of European countries pausing their rollouts of the AstraZeneca vaccine is growing following multiple reports of blood clots developing in people after vaccination. Sweden became the latest nation to suspend use of the shot. 

Meanwhile, the European Commission has said that the EU will receive over 200 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine produced by BioNTech and Pfizer in the second quarter of this year.

And finally, the number of coronavirus cases in Germany grew 20% in the past week as lockdown restrictions are gradually eased.

This and more in today's newsletter. 

Stay healthy and informed! 

DW's Asia team