Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,013 posts in this topic

No flu this winter so far, I had the jab last autumn, but have had a couple of light colds with cough despite ffp2  mask wearing and not going out much with hardly any social contact! I do wonder how effective mask wearing really is, or more to the point how effective a ffp2 mask is at protecting the wearer?

3 hours ago, fraufruit said:

That was not the flu. The flu usually lasts around 2 weeks or so.

Well, in that case, I guess I haven't had the flu since I was a kid.

12 hours ago, john g. said:

Can't help wondering.. has anyone had the flu in the past 12 months or so? Nobody talks about it anymore.

I haven't had the flu at all in the 14 years I've lived here. Could partly be due to living somewhat in the sticks and being retired

1 hour ago, Wulfrun said:

I haven't had the flu at all in the 14 years I've lived here. Could partly be due to living somewhat in the sticks and being retired

Nah, it's the Weißbier.

14 hours ago, john g. said:

Can't help wondering.. has anyone had the flu in the past 12 months or so? Nobody talks about it anymore.

I have had a couple of light touches of scratchy throat and cough, but nothing more.  I don't know if I agree that "nobody talks about it anymore," operative word being "it."

I have noticed people talking about how they haven't been sick.  This shouldn't be a great mystery.  People have learned to wash their hands at key points in their day.  We have turned our whole lives upside down precisely to reduce the risk of disease transmission.  It's working.  Erm, obvi.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 hours ago, keith2011 said:

No flu this winter so far, I had the jab last autumn, but have had a couple of light colds with cough despite ffp2  mask wearing and not going out much with hardly any social contact! I do wonder how effective mask wearing really is, or more to the point how effective a ffp2 mask is at protecting the wearer?

A couple of light colds could be caused by anything--changes in temperature, allergic reactions (allergies come and go all the time), simple inflammation, or, you wash your hands less often/less thoroughly than you could.  I know a few people who've contracted Covid despite claiming to have masked and distanced properly.  However, a dirty finger in the eye or on the mouth, or on the cell phone, or after coming inside from being outside, whatever, can go quickly and perfectly unnoticed by a person who is distracted or not terribly obsessive about such things.  

I'd like to add the previously legal CLOTH masks did not protect the wearer!!

You still could get COVID that way, so don't knock the correctly masked people who still caught it.

This exactly why FFP2 masks now are mandated - the finer filter works BOTH ways, protecting the surroundings and the wearer. I love the damn masks.

2 hours ago, Findus said:

May be an image of 2 people and text that says 'Half a million Americans have died of COVID-19 and GOP legislators mock the requirement to wear masks in the state house of West Virginia. What is wrong with these people?'

Well, it is West Virginia and the intelligence bar is low.  When I worked in northern Virginia, one of my dimwitted coworkers frequently made weekend trips to his home town in West Virginia to visit his parents.  He raised the IQ of both states when he did this.

This evening the BBC TV News reported that as a result of the decision by Germany not to use the AstraZenica Covid vaccine on people over 65 and a poor uptake by under 65 year old health workers has resulted in more than 1 million doses of it in stock and sitting idol while the Pfizer-BionTech one is in short supply and  has still not reached all the over 80s.:angry:

MADNESS.

On 25/02/2021, 11:10:20, dessa_dangerous said:

People have learned to wash their hands at key points in their day.

Pity we all had to learn the hard way. But your observation is spot on. This is the first winter I got through in about 15 years where I have not been sick AT ALL. Amazing. Or not.

Along with vaccination, hand washing is the single most important thing the species can do to protect its health. We (the herd) know it but didn't do it.

German radio news said the government is planning to permit meeting of five (5) people again starting next Monday!
The ruling isn't official yet, but in my experience "plans" in German media are implemented exactly that way not much later.

You heard it here first. :D

Already heard it but, as you said, not official yet. Should be decided at the conference tomorrow. 

Not sure I will do it, though.

I don't want to meet with people.

My question is, when do they open Bauhaus and Hornbach?

Here in Baden-Württemberg the garden centers are open, why not the DIY's?

Is it because this state is govened by the Greens?

34 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I'm pretty sure they opened Bauhaus and garden centers today in Bavaria.

Sadly they are still closed in Niedersachsen although some let you order and collect it, hopefully they will open properly  soon.