Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,017 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Shorty recently had contact to an old acquaintance, who gave her all of her best tips for making a FFP2 mask more comfortable to wear:

- first tip being to take the first two layers on the insdie out of it, discard the second one, and put the first, soft one, back in - helps you to breathe more easily!

- second tip being to take a pin and poke lots of tiny holes in the mask, once again, to help you breathe more easily!

I can only say that I am flabbergasted!!!

:o

We cut the strap off close to the mask at the bottom and tie the 2 ends together. Then you put that behind your head. It still has a good seal all around. Learned that at my dentist's office.

Much more comfortable. Breathing through them was never a problem for us.

I couldn't take wearing them correctly.  I just stopped pressing it down around the bridge of my nose and it's much more comfortable.  Honestly, it seems like 99% of people are wearing them that exact same way too, whether they realize they're wearing them wrong or not. 

For some reason mine does not really fit snuggly over my nose. When I breath out the air goes straight upwards and in to my eyes..

On 2/17/2021, 10:11:28, dessa_dangerous said:

I couldn't take wearing them correctly.  I just stopped pressing it down around the bridge of my nose and it's much more comfortable.  Honestly, it seems like 99% of people are wearing them that exact same way too, whether they realize they're wearing them wrong or not. 

I wear glasses so I have to press them down around my nose, otherwise my breath leaks out from under my specs, and steams them up

Government actions ‘unlawful’ when awarding billions in Covid contracts - High Court

The government acted “unlawfully” by failing to be open about the awards of Covid-related contracts worth billions of pounds, judges have ruled.

A challenge was brought by the Good Law Project to failures by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) to disclose details and award notices for contracts entered into during the pandemic.

Multimillion pound contracts were handed out during the first stage of the pandemic, for supplies of PPE, face masks, and gowns.

The legal challenge sought a declaration that the government had breached its own transparency rules, thwarting the usual scrutiny of public spending. The DHSC fought parts of the case, citing the emergency of the pandemic as the reason it could not meet the usual rules.

At the High Court today, Mr Justice Chamberlain ruled against the department, finding Health Secretary Matt Hancock “never admitted that his failure to publish contract provisions in accordance with the timescales in the Transparency Policy was unlawful.

Can't help wondering.. has anyone had the flu in the past 12 months or so? Nobody talks about it anymore.

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

Can't help wondering.. has anyone had the flu in the past 12 months or so? Nobody talks about it anymore.

You ever thought that maybe masks,lockdown and social distancing have reduced flu cases.

Or are you joining your friends who are on the "Covid is no worse than the flu" path ?

You don`t post a comment like you just did without there being a meaning for it.

What was your meaning behind that comment ?

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

- I got vaccinated!

But yes, Keleth is right to say that social distancing and masks make a HUGE difference, even to the amount of colds and snuffles that we get!

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

I had the flu last week, but it was nothing to talk about-just a 24-hour bug. I have not have Covid, nor have I had the vaccination.

Which friends? It had just occurred to me. 
Quite simply, no one mentions they have the flu. 
I am the same- bit of a cough here, runny nose there and my first thought is " Covid??? "

Didn't use to think that. I used to think flu or a cold etc.

5 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

- I got vaccinated!

But yes, Keleth is right to say that social distancing and masks make a HUGE difference, even to the amount of colds and snuffles that we get!

It is always a good idea to stick away from anyone coughing away near you - on the S-Bahn, in a shop , on a street- whatever.

Pre-Covid time rules still apply👍

29 minutes ago, JN53 said:

I had the flu last week, but it was nothing to talk about-just a 24-hour bug. 

That was not the flu. The flu usually lasts around 2 weeks or so.

26 minutes ago, john g. said:

It is always a good idea to stick away from anyone coughing away near you - on the S-Bahn, in a shop , on a street- whatever.

Good idea but impossible. How do you know when someone is going to cough/sneeze/etc.?