Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

3,846 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

So, how the fuck did Sir Major Tom manage to get Corona?    

Walking in his garden as joggers went by with no masks.

3 hours ago, PandaMunich said:

AOK claims it wasn't a mistake.  I phoned them this morning and they said they were asked to filter out people with certain past diagnosis' so I guess my past bronchitis put me in that group.

Received a letter from Die Bundesregierung today. In the letter it states that if I present said letter to my local Apotheke along with my ID, before 6th January 2021, I can get 15 masks, free of charge.

The letter goes on to say that the 2 enclosed certificates will allow me to collect further masks, 12 with each certificate over different

periods.. Unfortunately there are no certificates enclosed.

As it happens I bought 50 masks early on, and they are FFP2 standard.

10 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

Received a letter from Die Bundesregierung today. In the letter it states that if I present said letter to my local Apotheke along with my ID, before 6th January 2021, I can get 15 masks, free of charge.

The letter goes on to say that the 2 enclosed certificates will allow me to collect further masks, 12 with each certificate over different

I'd report that plus enclose a copy of the bill and of the envelope (postmark!)...

Oops, even though the though the letter was too late for the first masks I just found the certificates, they'd slipped out onto the floor :huh:

21 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

My letter said 15 masks total, 3 that I could have picked up with my ID before January 6th and a further 12 per 2 vouchers, 6 per each voucher for a 2€ co-pay.

BMJ lashes out at 'state corruption' and 'suppression of science' in UK

ONE of the world’s oldest and most respected medical journals has published a damning attack on the UK Government, saying “science is being suppressed for political and financial gain” in the mould of “some of history’s worst autocrats and dictators”.

The journal argued that Covid-19 had “unleashed state corruption on a grand scale”, and that politicians and industry are guilty of “opportunistic embezzlement”.

The British Medical Journal (officially the BMJ since 1988) published the article, entitled “Covid-19: politicisation, ‘corruption,’ and suppression of science”, in its most recent edition.

In an unusually political intervention, the journal accuses the Government of claiming to “follow the science”, when in reality: “Government appointees are able to ignore or cherry pick science - another form of misuse - and indulge in anti-competitive practices that favour their own products and those of friends and associates.”

Written by executive editor Kamran Abbasi, the article highlights “at least four examples of suppression of science or scientists” from the English Government’s pandemic response.

The first of these is the initial secrecy of the Government’s SAGE advice, which was only made public after a press leak.

The revelation that Dominic Cummings was allowed to sit in on these meetings while “public health, clinical care, women, and ethnic minorities” were under-represented is highlighted in the BMJ piece.

Abbasi points to scientists being told not to speak to the media, and the suppression of key paragraphs from Public Health England (PHE) reports, before accusing PHE of attempting to block the publication of a scientific report into the efficacy of antibody tests procured by Westminster.

The BMJ said the science shows that in the “real world” these tests’ performance “falls well short of claims made by its manufacturers”, something that the Government and PHE were trying to suppress.

They ask: “Why was it important to procure this product without due scrutiny?”

The BMJ goes on to highlight that this suppression of science is “not new or a peculiarly British phenomenon”, comparing Boris Johnson’s Government’s actions with that of Donald Trump’s in the USA.

“Globally,” it adds, “people, policies, and procurement are being corrupted by political and commercial agendas”.

In a thinly veiled attack on Johnson’s Tories, Abbasi finishes: “Politicisation of science was enthusiastically deployed by some of history’s worst autocrats and dictators, and it is now regrettably commonplace in democracies."

14 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

Call me cynical, but I don’t find this behavior particularly new, surprising, or limited to the UK and the US. Science is a business as corruptible as any. 😕 Is it worse now, or are we just seeing what was formerly more hidden from our view? 🤷‍♀️

That's pretty much what Abbasi says in the last paragraph.

43 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

In a thinly veiled attack on Johnson’s Tories, Abbasi finishes: “Politicisation of science was enthusiastically deployed by some of history’s worst autocrats and dictators, and it is now regrettably commonplace in democracies."

32 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

That's pretty much what Abbasi says in the last paragraph.

I’ve spent the past 40 years living primarily in academic communities.  Research has to be funded, 💰 talks, and people will find all kinds of ways to justify bad behavior.  It’s simply human nature.  My uncle the physicist was an idealist who joined the Peace Corp and taught in Fiji instead of heading to Nam, followed by a career at the FDA that ended 20 years ago. He was seriously disturbed by some of what he saw.  😕

On 01/02/2021, 09:41:13, SpiderPig said:

So, how the fuck did Sir Major Tom manage to get Corona?    

Sounds as if he caught it in hospital.

Captain Sir Tom Moore tested negative for Covid after trip to Barbados, family confirms

Tom was admitted to hospital on January 12. Whilst in hospital he received a pneumonia diagnosis.

In addition, as with other patients, he was tested regularly for Covid-19.

On January 22, Tom was discharged from hospital back to the family home where he felt most comfortable.

Unfortunately he was left still fighting pneumonia and tested positive for Covid-19 that day - more than three weeks after his holiday.

He remained at home, cared for by family and medical professionals, until he needed additional help with his breathing.

Captain Sir Tom Moore tested positive for coronavirus after a 10-day stay in hospital and didn't catch it on his Barbados trip, family reveal

• Family said Captain Sir Tom Moore had regularly tested negative for Covid-19 until he visited hospital
  • Only after a ten-day stay for pneumonia was he discharged on January 12 and then tested positive that day
  • A family spokesman revealed Captain Tom's pneumonia battle meant he had not had the coronavirus vaccine

above 65 there's a one off vacination but people with health problems may be administered a jab every 5 years.

The Crony Ratio£800 Million in COVID Contracts to Donors WHO Have Given£8 Million to Conservatives

Government contracts worth £881 million have been awarded to individuals who have donated a total of £8.2 million to the Conservative Party in recent years, Byline Times and The Citizens can reveal.

These contracts span across the various projects undertaken by the Government during the Coronavirus pandemic – from the procurement of personal protective equipment (PPE), to the provision of laptops for school children forced to study from home.

There is no evidence that the Government awarded these contracts in direct exchange for the donations; no monthly meeting where ministers assigned departmental work to the highest bidder. Rather, the Conservative Party has promoted the idea of outsourcing public services to private companies in recent decades – an ideology that has been ruthlessly applied during the COVID-19 crisis.

Private companies therefore see a commercial benefit – supplemented by the Conservatives’ low-tax mantra – to help the party to win power: the donations roll in, the party gets elected, and public sector contracts in turn roll out to the market.

This isn’t a question of wrongdoing on the part of the companies – they are simply acting in their commercial interest. The question is about a system that positively encourages large contributions to political parties from private individuals and firms, yet does not prevent these very same companies from acquiring, if only by coincidence, high-value Government work.

This process has of course been put on steroids during the Coronavirus pandemic, when Government contracts worth some £18 billion have been outsourced to the private sector in less than 12 months.

Here are some of the individuals and firms to have benefitted.

Absolutely brilliant! Brought tears to my eyes. Give the dad a knighthood and the little felines a big squeeze. Beautifully executed. I hope this one goes viral. And the dad at the end...