Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

3,734 posts in this topic

It's beginning to look like the 'second wave' may be past its peak in Germany

Concerning the number of death on one day:

https://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/plus224618085/Corona-Uns-droht-ein-Mega-Lockdown-auf-Basis-unbrauchbarer-Zahlen.html 

(article is behind a paywall)

WELT: Mr Häussler, how meaningful do you think the number of covid deaths published daily by the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) is?

Bertram Häussler: Hardly meaningful. The figures that the RKI publishes every morning are on average more than three weeks old. They do not reflect yesterday, as is often communicated via the media, but the past weeks.

WELT: Can you give a concrete example?

Häussler: On 15 January, the RKI reported that 1113 new deaths had been transmitted. We at the Institute are not only able to trace back when these deaths were transmitted to the RKI, but also when they occurred, i.e. the actual time of death. To do this, we compare two publicly accessible databases of the RKI. There you can see that on 14 January just 20 people died out of the 1113 reported on 15 January.

Every second death occurred before 27 December, on average 3.2 weeks earlier. In various newspapers, however, one can read that these people died in the last 24 hours.

Häussler:In the case of new infections, the doctors and laboratories report directly to the health department. This does not result in any significant delays. With the death figures, however, it is different. This is also due to the doctors in the hospital who do not fill out a notification form from the RKI according to the Infection Protection Act after a death, although they are actually legally obliged to do so.

Many hospitals are working to the limit, so this obviously goes unnoticed. If doctors only fill out the death certificate, which is then forwarded to the registry office and from there to the health department, it takes a few days. After that, however, the biggest problem comes for the staff at the health office.
 They have to match the death with a suspected case reported by a doctor and a positive result reported by a laboratory. Only when both are available can the deceased person be transmitted to the RKI as a covid-dead person according to the Infection Protection Act. This assignment is time-consuming and requires time that the health department does not have.

The staff mainly have to follow up on contacts of infected persons who ultimately pose a risk to their environment. Already deceased persons are probably not the first priority.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

That explains that the number sometimes look weird.

7 hours ago, optimista said:

So, three weeks on from Xmas-New Year, the shit is really hitting the fan and they are dropping like flies.

Anyone notice that all our attention is being directed to the vaccination effort ?

rather than...?

I did notice that they stopped showing the R-rate on TV and replaced it with vaccination numbers instead.

I'm also flummoxed about how much attention Spahn's recommendations and how the importation of the vaccine has been handled are getting in the media.  As if it matters one flickety flack at this point.  Just get it in here.  Why they need a scapegoat to explain why they are doing as best they can with the information and resources they have (which I actually do really believe) is beyond me.

I think she means that because there was a loosening of rules around Christmas it is therefore notable that there are many deaths happening now.

Thing is Christmas jollies, at least around here, were cancelled anyway.

Distraction and diversion tactics. The death toll in UK is spiralling. They've got the army in the hospitals cos the staff are falling like flies. When it goes quiet that's when you really have to worry.

Speaking of essential travel -

A group of 26 British skiers is in isolation in a French resort after 16 tested positive for Covid.

Villagers in the tiny commune of Vallorcine, in the Chamonix Valley, have branded the party “irresponsible” for escaping UK lockdown to go skiing.

The Brits, described as gap-year students who paid £8,900 each for the 10-week ski course, arrived in France by road, air or train between January 13 and 17.

Some were delayed after they were stopped from boarding a Eurostar train at London St Pancras in breach of coronavirus restrictions and were forced to find other means of travel or forgo the trip.

The students, mostly aged 18 to 20, were booked on a British Association of Snowsport Instructors course with Peak Leaders in Verbier, Switzerland.

But due to a ban on people entering Switzerland directly from the UK, organisers arranged instead for the group to travel to France.

here

Covid: Vaccinated people may spread virus, says Van-Tam

People who have received a Covid-19 vaccine could still pass the virus on to others and should continue following lockdown rules, England's deputy chief medical officer has warned.

Writing in the Sunday Telegraph, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam stressed that scientists "do not yet know the impact of the vaccine on transmission".

He said vaccines offer "hope" but infection rates must come down quickly.

Matt Hancock said 75% of over-80s in the UK have now had a first virus jab.

Both the Pfizer-BioNTech and Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccines require two doses, and figures so far reflect those given the first dose.

The health secretary told the BBC's Andrew Marr that around three quarters of care homes had also been vaccinated.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

A group of 26 British skiers is in isolation in a French resort after 16 tested positive for Covid.

Villagers in the tiny commune of Vallorcine, in the Chamonix Valley, have branded the party “irresponsible” for escaping UK lockdown to go skiing.

The Brits, described as gap-year students who paid £8,900 each for the 10-week ski course, arrived in France by road, air or train between January 13 and 17.

Several things jump to mind about this report, first off if the slopes are open then it is hardly surprising that people from all over will want to ski and risk bringing in covid. Secondly I do hope the organisers can be prosecuted for something, they appear to have circumvented a travel ban and ignored isolation requirements. Thirdly what were the "students" themselves thinking of particularly as some were not allowed to board the Eurostar and were smuggled out by other means, I would also assume someone paying 8,900 GBP for a ski course is not your regular one on student loan!

Kid#1's boyfriend's GP mum has advised them both to get a Pulsoximeter - to quickly and easily measure blood oxygen levels - she reckons that the unexpected deaths in healthy young people of Covid are largely due to loss of oxygen in the blood which is not detected until too late.

I have no idea how true this is, but the thing costs around 20-25€ so I thought I would share her wisdom, especially since it is not a bank breaking investment for most. 

Yep.  This has really helped people.   In the UK, people would ring 111,  the NHS advice line,and be told unless they were really coughing and having difficulty breathing just to hang in there.  Thing is, some people were just getting very low on oxygen without realising it, just feeling tired and sleepy.  And then suddenly dead, or taken to hospital in such a poor condition it was too late to do much.  This contributed to the high death rate in the UK in the spring.  

5 hours ago, fraufruit said:

The Brits, described as gap-year students who paid £8,900 each for the 10-week ski course

Students with £8,900 available for a vacation?  Wow.  I must have studied the wrong subject.

I havn't paid that much (per person) for a vacation in my entire life (granted the vacation on Hawaii 14 years ago was not cheap but still nowhere near that sum).

5 minutes ago, HEM said:

Students with £8,900 available for a vacation?  Wow.  I must have studied the wrong subject.

I havn't paid that much (per person) for a vacation in my entire life (granted the vacation on Hawaii 14 years ago was not cheap but still nowhere near that sum).

I assume the parents of these particular students have thick wallets.