Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

3,744 posts in this topic

I have the access road to our little housing addition in plain view from my home office. A plain white delivery van just drove up to the neighbors. Not one of the regular parcel services, but probably the kind that also delivers appliances. Three strapping young men with impressive beards in the small cab, none of them wearing masks, and the masks would probably not seal even if they chose to wear one. One of them jumped out, grapped a largish box from the cargo hold and stuck the delivery papers in his mouth. He rang the bell and left sans box and papers (well, I don't like my neighbors anyway). 

To my understanding, this is not legal, since there is no way they can keep the 1.5 m if three of them sit side by side, so they should have to mask up. Yet, they are unafraid of being stopped by the police who prefer to ticket customers in supermarket parking lots that don't already put on the mask inside their cars or ride a bicycle onto the lot, not yet masked up because their glasses would fog if they did. 

Every half decent engineer knows to go after the big contributors to the error budget first and not worry about small fry. Yet our politicos again get the wrong end of the stick.

9 minutes ago, capslock said:

Why is this topic in international affairs? (sorry if this has been discussed before, came late to the party)

Global pandemic, perhaps?

Bavaria: Starting next Monday, you have to wear an FFP2-mask in stores, for "click&collect" and on public transport.

Söder: "There are enough masks available, even a surplus!"

Rossmann: none, DM: none.

Our pharmacy has reserved some for us - price: EUR 3,95/piece; handling (I asked said pharmacist): 10-15 minutes (or less if they get moist), dry in between, usable up to 8 hours... Waiting time at the cashier of the Edeka next to the pharmacy: up to 20 minutes.

34 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

Bavaria: Starting next Monday, you have to wear an FFP2-mask in stores, for "click&collect" and on public transport.

Söder: "There are enough masks available, even a surplus!"

Rossmann: none, DM: none.

Our pharmacy has reserved some for us - price: EUR 3,95/piece; handling (I asked said pharmacist): 10-15 minutes (or less if they get moist), dry in between, usable up to 8 hours... Waiting time at the cashier of the Edeka next to the pharmacy: up to 20 minutes.

This is already being discussed on the coronavirus thread.

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

This is already being discussed on the coronavirus thread.

Information doesn't hurt, and my comment fulfills the topic of this thread.

Just now, fraufruit said:

You are right. I just didn't see the point in a whole new discussion.

Maybe discussing face-operations for making the masks fit better would be more on topic here? ;)

" 10-15 minutes (or less if they get moist) "

fake info

The journal of the German pharmacists:

There are no specific recommendations for the wearing time of FFP2 masks for private individuals. However, there are occupational health and safety recommendations on how long an FFP2 mask can be worn without interruption. The Robert Koch Institute (RKI) also follows these recommendations: "According to occupational health and safety guidelines, the continuous wearing time of FFP2 masks is limited for healthy people (see manufacturer's information, usually 75 minutes with a subsequent 30-minute break) in order to minimise the worker's exposure to the increased breathing resistance," the RKI explains on its website.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I can only meet one person at a time, because of the stricter lockdown in Germany. I thought about it and this is now my schedule:

Monday: Anastasia

Tuesday: Jennifer

Wednesday: Cinzia

Thursday: Anna

Friday: Julia

Saturday: Amanda

Sunday: rest day

My brother who lives on Mallorca said that one of the new measures is no speaking in public transportation allowed. 

What's next? No farting in public since this could spread the virus too?

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

My brother who lives on Mallorca said that one of the new measures is no speaking in public transportation allowed.

In practice its the same on the Hamburg S-Bahn only voluntarly - people stare at their smartphones instead of speaking to each other.

1 minute ago, HEM said:

In practice its the same on the Hamburg S-Bahn only voluntarly - people stare at their smartphones instead of speaking to each other.

Here in the Munich, U-Bahn and S-Bahn travelers have been voluntarily avoiding viruses for years by not talking to each other!;)

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

No farting in public since this could spread the virus too?

Oh dear. I think you have just revealed another cultural difference... I know Germans fart freely in public... and the Dutch too? (Some of us are raised to nip it in until we are in private... people suffering with anal fissures are exempt, of course.)

And I think this is why I still read TT. For the insight. :lol:

38 minutes ago, optimista said:

Oh dear. I think you have just revealed another cultural difference... I know Germans fart freely in public... and the Dutch too? (Some of us are raised to nip it in until we are in private... people suffering with anal fissures are exempt, of course.)

And I think this is why I still read TT. For the insight. :lol:

"Wherever you be let your wind go free, in church or chapel let it rattle."

Old saying favourite of my grandmother (English).

Yes, we used to chant it. But we still didn't actually fart in public.:lol: