Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,012 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Because the faster tests give too many false negatives.

Yer it seems strange these tests are actually allowed anywhere consider the amount of false results.

1 hour ago, mtbiking said:

I’m putting you on ignore and thus making a good day a tiny bit better.

I can tell you, after some weeks, the feeling stays. It is better :) - the first and only time I have ever used the function, but by golly, so worth it B)

I hope your parents get to you safely and have a lovely time with the grandchildren. Seems like a win/win to me. 

What‘s the trans word for „it „ then, Keleth?

Strange modern world...😴😟

32 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Germany have decided these test are OK for entry into/out of country. I must say I have used both tests and must say less frustrating getting resulting in 10mins then waiting 48hrs with a  bigger dent in the travel budget wallet and my doctor said they were sufficient when I discussed this week with them

37 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Doesn't change the fact that they are inaccurate. Just more convenient.

my test had a 96.35% sensitivity 96.8% specificity. The German authorities and my doc felt that was accurate enough. 

13 hours ago, burningtiger said:

my test had a 96.35% sensitivity 96.8% specificity.

Wow! I hadn't heard about a quick test with those numbers. Must be something new.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

27 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Wow! I hadn't heard about a quick test with those numbers. Must be something new.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

fraubat actually the specificity test was 99.9%.  Curious what  information/source are you referring to in your post that these tests are inaccurate? 

SERIOUS LOCK DOWN ADVICE
Everyone PLEASE be careful because people are going crazy from being locked down at home!

I was just talking about this with the microwave and the toaster while drinking my Pepsi, and we all agreed that things are getting bad.

I didn’t mention any of this to the washing machine, because she puts a different spin on EVERYTHING!! Certainly couldn’t share with the fridge, cause he’s been acting cold and distant!

In the end, the iron straightened me out!

She said the situation isn’t all that pressing and all the wrinkles will soon get ironed out!

The vacuum, however, was very unsympathetic… told me to just suck it up!

But the fan was VERY optimistic and gave me hope that it will all blow over soon!

The toilet looked a bit flushed but didn’t say anything when I asked its opinion, but the front door said I was becoming unhinged and the doorknob told me to get a grip!!

You can just about guess what the curtains told me..: they told me to “pull myself together!”

We will survive!!

59 minutes ago, burningtiger said:

Curious what  information/source are you referring to

It has been all over the place for some months that the quick tests were giving too many false negatives. My news feed, the TV news and a couple of my doctor friends. All along, many companies have been working on improvements and it sounds like some have been successful.

Here's one blurb 

No test is 100% accurate, but the molecular tests are considered to be more accurate than the antigen tests, according to available research.

According to the FDA, an antigen test cannot “definitively rule out active coronavirus infection,” but positive results are “highly accurate” (negative results may require a confirmation test).

Is is from Oct. 1 so there have been improvements.

A long thread detailing how stupid a certain covid "expert" is.

He`s a "listen to the science" person  who has been wrong on almost all of his predictions but when challenged on them either denies he was wrong,lies or just ignores the challenges.

You could read his stuff and believe him as he uses graphs etc to make it look very professional but in reality it`s total bollocks.

22 hours ago, Keleth said:

Yer it seems strange these tests are actually allowed anywhere consider the amount of false results.

You can always go for the more expensive PCR test for your peace of mind . If you are travelling into Germany borders now, they give you both options I opted for cheaper test approx 200 euro  less over 2 tests and feel with 97%+ accuracy was enough for my needs however I appreciate people have different views on this topic

22 minutes ago, burningtiger said:

You can always go for the more expensive PCR test for your peace of mind . If you are travelling into Germany borders now, they give you both options I opted for cheaper test approx 200 euro  less over 2 tests and feel with 97%+ accuracy was enough for my needs however I appreciate people have different views on this topic

I`m not talking about peace of mind.

I`m talking about being allowed into a country because of the results of a test that is known to have a high % of false negatives.

2 hours ago, Keleth said:

I`m not talking about peace of mind.

I`m talking about being allowed into a country because of the results of a test that is known to have a high % of false negatives.

where is the evidence for high% false negative? be curious to learn more