Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

3,734 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Fair enough. But individuals could and should take responsibility for themselves and their entourage. Blaming the government passes the buck nicely and is much easier than isolating where possible, painful though that is.

And again!

Covid is clearly out of control in the UK but I do not see what more can be done from the government or why things are much better in France currently but much less good in Germany (1143 deaths yesterday)? Both UK and Germany did too little too late perhaps, I don't know, I just hope the vaccines work!

On 30/12/2020, 13:20:03, fraufruit said:

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

thanks so much everyone. My father is since yesterday officially cured of Corona and can now leave the house. For him it felt like having a common cold. My mom will get tested next week for antibodies, if the test is positive they’re buying tickets to fly here in the next days 😀 

22 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

thanks so much everyone. My father is since yesterday officially cured of Corona and can now leave the house. For him it felt like having a common cold. My mom will get tested next week for antibodies, if the test is positive they’re buying tickets to fly here in the next days

:huh: Is the travel necessary? I thought there was a lockdown and that all travel was to be avoided. Or has this changed again?

21 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

:huh: Is the travel necessary? I thought there was a lockdown and that all travel was to be avoided. Or has this changed again?

if they have the antibodies they’re almost certainly immune and it’s their own decision to come here (our house is big enough thankfully) for some months and be with the grandkids while we work. It doesn’t break any rules as far as I know. 

45 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

if they have the antibodies they’re almost certainly immune and it’s their own decision to come here (our house is big enough thankfully) for some months and be with the grandkids while we work. It doesn’t break any rules as far as I know. 

As long as they quarantine, register as residents and take out health insurance, as then they will need the vaccines. 

And your key word is almost. I thought total immunity wasn't possible, especially with mutations. 

Whatever the situation, the general advice/recommendation is to avoid all unnecessary travel to prevent further spreading. ;) 

12 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

As long as they quarantine, register as residents and take out health insurance, as then they will need the vaccines. 

And your key word is almost. I thought total immunity wasn't possible, especially with mutations. 

OK, show me the law, black on white, saying that Schengen space EU members  (not foreigners like the brits) are currently not allowed to travel to Germany and stay with their closest family for a couple months and I’ll advise them not to come. Even your first point is as far as I understand irrelevant as there’s no need to quarantine if you arrive with a negative test max two days old.

It has nothing to with being in Schengen or not. Ireland is in the EU but not in Schengen for example. And all non-Germans are foreigners in Germany, whether EU or non-EU. 

Obviously they don't have to quarantine if they have a negative test result that is accepted by the Germans. 

They are supposed to register with the Gemeinde though, IF they intend to stay for more than 90 days, regardless of nationality, otherwise how will they get the vaccine? Unless you can buy it. 

As for not being allowed to travel to Germany, you need to check the restrictions shorty before purchasing tickets and travelling so as not to be caught out. Restrictions can change from one day to the next depending on outbreaks and mutations, as we have seen recently. :) 

Whatever the situation, the general advice/recommendation is to avoid all unnecessary travel to prevent further spreading. ;) 

1) if they come  they won’t be here for longer than three months

2) they’ll get the vaccine either here or in all likelihood when they get back home, money to buy it is by the way not a problem even if it were necessary, which it isn’t.

3) I generally know the law and what I’m doing quite well, so you can stop the bullshit - I already gave you a chance to prove me wrong.

11 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

if they come  they won’t be here for longer than three months

they’ll get the vaccine either here or in all likelihood when they get back home, money to buy it is by the way not a problem even if it were necessary, which it isn’t.

You didn't mention that the stay was going to be less than three months in your earlier post. 

I didn't know that tourists in Germany could get the vaccine here. 

You need to consider the time frame carefully if it is possible though, as there is the second dose to think about. ;) 

7 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

1) if they come  they won’t be here for longer than three months

2) they’ll get the vaccine either here or in all likelihood when they get back home, money to buy it is by the way not a problem even if it were necessary, which it isn’t.

3) I generally know the law and what I’m doing quite well, so you can stop the bullshit - I already gave you a chance to prove me wrong.

They are ok to travel

"Die Reisewarnung ist kein Reiseverbot. Reisende entscheiden in eigener Verantwortung, ob sie eine Reise antreten."

More info here:

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/ReiseUndSicherheit/covid-19/2296762

@mtbiking ...  Contact your local Geminde and ask them their views/stance on this... 

I think I know where you live.. and if its right, I think your parents would be safer and better protected/cared for where you live...

Point two... Stop feeding that troll.. 

Have you found the law in question yet or is your focus now on how to get a vaccine which is not compulsory and likely doesn’t really bring anything to people who already have the antibodies the vaccine develops? I’m putting you on ignore and thus making a good day a tiny bit better.

1 minute ago, mtbiking said:

Have you found the law in question yet or is your focus now on how to get a vaccine which is not compulsory and likely doesn’t really bring anything to people who already have the antibodies the vaccine develops? Oh, and 😄 

Which law? :unsure: I never mentioned any law. 

10 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

Have you found the law in question yet or is your focus now on how to get a vaccine which is not compulsory and likely doesn’t really bring anything to people who already have the antibodies the vaccine develops? I’m putting you on ignore and thus making a good day a tiny bit better.

Wise choice :) 

2 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Change of mind???

No... sensibillity prevails...      "Leave parents in war-zone " or bring to a relatively lesser "war zone"...

As a HUMAN.. you may have understood my post... But to poke fun and try and make me look like a hypocrit..  you won...    This Thursdasy clap will be for you!

58 minutes ago, lunaCH said:

justIt has nothing to with being in Schengen or not. Ireland is in the EU but not in Schengen for example. And all non-Germans are foreigners in Germany, whether EU or non-EU. 

Obviously they don't have to quarantine if they have a negative test result that is accepted by the Germans. 

They are supposed to register with the Gemeinde though, IF they intend to stay for more than 90 days, regardless of nationality, otherwise how will they get the vaccine? Unless you can buy it. 

As for not being allowed to travel to Germany, you need to check the restrictions shorty before purchasing tickets and travelling so as not to be caught out. Restrictions can change from one day to the next depending on outbreaks and mutations, as we have seen recently. :) 

Getting crazy now for travelling over borders & testing now (although I am all for safe travel) - I figured going over to UK for two week visit to see close of kin will now  involve 4 tests costing around Euro 250- one before departure, another 5 days after self isolation if want to finish it early and then coming back to Germany another test before departure and another 5 days after if you cannot self isolate for longer. I think they are all cheaper faster antigen tests although UK authorities insist on expensive longer PCR test seen quoted at Euro 150, why the inconsistenty?? I am curious if anyone is stll considering going travelling nowdays across borders with this excruciating testing regime

U.S. loses 140,000 jobs in December. First decline in eight months stems from record coronavirus surge

The U.S. lost jobs in December for the first time in eight months as the coronavirus bore down on the economy again and forced businesses to resort to more layoffs.

The government and private sector shed 140,000 jobs last month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said Friday.

The decline in employment was the first since last April, when the U.S. lost a gargantuan 20.8 million jobs in that one month alone.

The economy is still missing some 10 million jobs that existed before the onset of the pandemic, with little prospect that they’ll be recovered any time soon.

Another failure of planning and effort by a Republican POTUS leaves a cleanup for a Democratic one. Nothing new there. The GOP is the epitome of failed social and economic policy.

22 minutes ago, burningtiger said:

I think they are all cheaper faster antigen tests although UK authorities insist on expensive longer PCR test

Because the faster tests give too many false negatives.