Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

3,841 posts in this topic

My father has just tested positive. He’s a fit 69 year‘s old and so far has little to show for symptoms, but I can’t avoid feeling very upset. My parents have been isolating as well. He says he must have caught it shopping eight days ago.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Ditto...and no residual effects 

Was reported Mr Amstrad himself lost his older brother and sister to Covid over the last two weeks.

Also had the first death in my kind of first row (people I actually know rather than friends of friend's etc), one of my teachers from way back. Was in an old folk's home, was ill with other conditions but covid was the final straw as they say.

Decent guy, (almost) unlimited patience, really good teacher. 

We also have the grandmother of a friend who has covid and has shown no symptoms whatsoever. Was tested positive, got tested again to check, positive. Whole family breathed a sigh of relief.

19 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

We also have the grandmother of a friend who has covid and has shown no symptoms whatsoever. Was tested positive, got tested again to check, positive. Whole family breathed a sigh of relief.

Are they hoping she will succumb and leave them something?:D

14 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Are they hoping she will succumb and leave them something?:D

Lol... :lol:

German hospitals facing dire financial shortfall

Faced with rising numbers of coronavirus patients, and therefore postponing routine operations to keep beds free, the German healthcare system is in a tense situation. And now the alarm has been sounded: Germany’s hospitals are running out of money.

Hospitals in Germany running out of money

“If the federal government does not significantly increase aid, hospitals will no longer be able to pay their employees’ salaries in the first quarter of 2021,” said the President of the German Hospital Society, Gerald Gaß, on Wednesday. “The money that we usually get from standard care is missing.” 

Hospitals in Germany are in a particularly tight financial situation because of operating restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic. By postponing routine operations and surgeries to keep beds free for COVID-19 patients, they are losing out on a significant chunk of their regular income. Gaß said that this was pushing hospitals into a “dramatic situation.”

Federal government’s rescue package insufficient

The Hospital Society is therefore urgently demanding more funding - a so-called “liquidity safeguard” - from the federal government. In mid-December, the Ministry of Health unveiled a new rescue package for hospitals in Germany, whereby compensation payments were to be handed out to clinics that forewent routine medical interventions to keep beds free. 

I've been wondering how many billions life insurances have had to pay out over corona deaths here and elsewhere. They must be hurting.

17 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I've been wondering how many billions life insurances have had to pay out over corona deaths here and elsewhere. They must be hurting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/those-dying-from-covid-19-are-least-likely-to-own-life-insurance-11601285400

In addition to this, if excess deaths rather than deaths are examined, things don't look so bad for life insurers. 

Germany has around 33k COVID deaths in 2020.   In a normal year, Germany has around 850k deaths, or just over 1% of the population. 

Ten things to ponder as 2020 draws to a close.
1. The dumbest thing I bought this year was a 2020 planner
2. 2019 Stay away from negative people. 2020 Stay away from positive people (might roll this on into next year 🤪)
3. The world has turned upside down. Old people are sneaking out of the house and their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors.
4. This morning I saw a neighbour talking to her cat. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her.
I came to my house and told the dog....we had a good laugh
5. Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit. Pyjamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
6. Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands?
7. I never thought the comment “I wouldn’t touch them with a 6-foot barge pole” would become a national policy but here we are!
8. I really need to practice social distancing... from the fridge
9. I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to the garden. I am tired of the living room
10. Never in a million years could I have imagined I would go up to a bank clerk with a mask on and ask for money.

Piss-ups and breweries. Yet again. :angry:

One wonders if they are capable of scratching their own arse when it itches. This is beyond pathetic.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

Well this seems rather fucked up.

https://www.gponline.com/gps-hit-grossly-unfair-plan-delay-follow-up-covid-19-jabs/article/1703513

I can understand them wanting to get everyone their 1st dose as quick as possible but the worrying bit is that Pfizer/Biontech have said that no tests on their vaccine have been done to show one dose will last longer than the originally planned 4 weeks.

Irresponsible and scary if you ask me. Given the design and testing of the vaccine they could be running a risk, like with failing to take the complete dose of antibiotics in the recommended time,  that the virus might mutate into a resistant form. Or even if it gives protection against the worst effects there could be a lot more people around who appear well but can still pass the virus on to others.

3 hours ago, Keleth said:

Pfizer/Biontech have said that no tests on their vaccine have been done to show one dose will last longer than the originally planned 4 weeks.

We do know that at least one nurse got infected after her first dose.

I've also heard that the vaccine might become an annual jab like the flu vaccine to cover the mutations.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I've also heard that the vaccine might become an annual jab like the flu vaccine to cover the mutations

As I understand it that is just speculation, at this point nobody is sure how long immunity (whether from the vaccine or after recovering from the virus) will last, or indeed if mutations will become resistant.

31 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Irresponsible and scary if you ask me. Given the design and testing of the vaccine they could be running a risk, like with failing to take the complete dose of antibiotics in the recommended time,  that the virus might mutate into a resistant form. Or even if it gives protection against the worst effects there could be a lot more people around who appear well but can still pass the virus on to others.

It is sort of playing into the anti vaxxers and conspiracy theorists hands.

2 hours ago, keith2011 said:

As I understand it that is just speculation

Absolutely. Everything about this virus and vaccines is speculation at this point.

Well, except that so many people have died from it or are left with lifelong complications.