Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,017 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Manchester Uni have erected fences around halls of residence. Students are ‘now only able to leave through a single exit guarded by security, as part of measures aimed at controlling the spread of coronavirus during the new lockdown’

:huh: How are emergency services supposed to get in and out? 

Why oh why did BoJo think that sending students back to halls was a cunning plan after the summer? 

Sad that it comes to this, but so inevitable. They just don't think the rules are about them.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Those are movable fences like they use around construction sites, etc. Easy enough to move.

Still an extra barrier where clearly easy access, as opposed to massive hassle, is essential - in an emergency every second counts. 

I wonder if the situation is actually legal. Seems like a makeshift prison to me. Ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Oh man what a brilliant idea!

Universities are already ring fencing students minds lest they get influence by crazy dangerous radical ideas such as freedom of speech, freedom of thought, debate, democracy etc. but honestly, they really need to put up a firewall around the internet. Can you imagine the disaster if someone were to stumble across Lockdown Skeptics and started asking questions. Horrible!

Well Done Manchester Uni!  :lol:

Problem resolved, no more ring fences around these students minds though still nothing left in their wallets for the next 10+ years.:rolleyes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-54833331

Was watching an interview with Swedish Swedish epidemiologist Anders Tegnell and he made an interesting comment about epidemiologists (hat tip for google for figuring out what I meant) and how they will always go for the worst case scenario. Yesterday France joined Wales and  announced that all small shops must close, so what messages are European governments sending out?

DO NOT GO OUT STAY HOME

SHOP ONLINE

So where do people first go when they want to order online, Amazon! And once you get in the habit of shopping online it's very difficult to go back. Why would I drive to the store to buy a box of Q Tips when Amazon will deliver it for free the next day!

**end rant**

51 minutes ago, Tim Hortons Man said:

Why would I drive to the store to buy a box of Q Tips when Amazon will deliver it for free the next day!

Particularly when the price on Amazon is often lower than the ones in physical stores. 

It could also be argued you're doing something for the environment, as it's one less car trip clogging up the streets and polluting the air. :)

More corona in the White House. I hope they fumigate that place before the Bidens move in.

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has tested positive for COVID-19, ABC News has learned.

In addition to Meadows, at least four White House staffers are positive for COVID-19 along with one campaign staffer. One of those positive is Nick Trainor, the Trump campaign battleground states director.

Meadows has been around the president and first family all week, including spending time at campaign headquarters twice this week. He was on a trip with the president on Tuesday and at the campaign headquarters again on Wednesday, plotting what's next for the Trump campaign.

the rest

I have been running the Corona-Warn App on my phone for many months now.  It has, on a couple of occasions, come up with a „1 Begegnung mit niedrigem Risiko“ notice, although the overall status has never been anything different than Green/„Niedriges Risiko.“

The App automatically updates every 24 hours, so when this has happened I have simply assumed that the previous day I had some brief encounter or walk-by with someone who has reported a positive test.   This is what the info for the App states, IIRC.

This morning I got another of these notices.  Here‘s the thing though - during the last approx 40 hours, I have been completely alone in my home.

@Space Cowboy  In another forum I frequent it was speculated that possibly being in the same general vicinity as neighbors that have had dodgy contact could influence the result on the app.  Do you live in an apartment, by chance?

@dessa_dangerous I do live in an apartment.  However, it is Neubau, with pretty thick concrete walls, floors, ceilings.  I certainly can‘t „see“ my neighbors‘ Bluetooth devices, and the app is supposedly limited to 1,5 meters.

Kid#, who has been in isolation for almost two weeks after a fellow tenant tested positive, was informed by her UK app after an entire week had gone by that she should isolate ;)

No wonder things are a bit dodgy over there!

15 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

I have been running the Corona-Warn App on my phone for many months now.  It has, on a couple of occasions, come up with a „1 Begegnung mit niedrigem Risiko“ notice, although the overall status has never been anything different than Green/„Niedriges Risiko.“

The App automatically updates every 24 hours, so when this has happened I have simply assumed that the previous day I had some brief encounter or walk-by with someone who has reported a positive test.   This is what the info for the App states, IIRC.

This morning I got another of these notices.  Here‘s the thing though - during the last approx 40 hours, I have been completely alone in my home.

Apparently it means you have been in contact with someone who after you had contact with them tested positive for the virus but you were more than a certain distance from them and for a very short amount of time etc.

You may have had that contact 2 or 3 weeks ago and it`s only now they`ve tested positive.

On 11/7/2020, 12:12:05, Space Cowboy said:

I don't mean to alarm you, but ... ghosts. With coronavirus. Ectoplasm must be a magnet for any airborne virus droplets. I'm sure Alex Jones has a rant about it.

14 hours ago, john g. said:

A waste of their lives. 

"Fur farming" should really be illegal. Disgusting.