Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,700 posts in this topic

One oddity I found is Canada, specificly Ontario has now put in place a mask mandate. I'm pro masks but it strikes me as really odd that they did this 3 months in and at the stage when the virus is mostly beaten. I mean why did they not do this in the very early stages. 

I went into the mini- market this morning and saw a friend of ours shopping in there  wearing a mask. “ It was reimposed this morning by the Greek Govt since they decided to let British tourists in.”

😟😷

In an interview with Fox News’s Chris Wallace that aired Sunday, President Trump defended his handling of the coronavirus pandemic — with incorrect data that had to be corrected by Wallace — and insisted that Joe Biden wants to defund the police, which Wallace disputed. The White House was unable to provide any evidence for the claim.

Trump continued his long effort to minimize the risk from COVID-19, insisting “I’ll be right eventually” that the coronavirus will disappear on its own, an assertion he first made on Jan. 22 when he said, “We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

“I'll be right eventually. I will be right eventually. You know I said, ‘It's going to disappear.’ I'll say it again,” Trump declared to Wallace.

More than 140,000 Americans have died of COVID-19, as the national death rate has ticked up to almost 1,000 a day. Many states had their deadliest seven-day stretches over the last week. Trump and his allies have pointed to increased testing for the spike in cases, but in many areas the positivity rate is much higher than it is in most other countries.

Wallace, considered the most independent-minded Fox News anchor, did his best to hold Trump accountable during the interview, which was conducted late last week on the White House grounds outside the Oval Office. But it was a largely futile effort, as Trump deflected uncomfortable questions about COVID-19 by returning to his favorite statistic, about how the U.S. has “the best testing in the world.” 

“But, sir, testing is up 37 percent,” Wallace said.

“Well, that's good,” Trump responded.

Wallace: “I understand. Cases are up 194 percent. It isn't just that testing has gone up, it's that the virus has spread. The positivity rate has increased.”

At that juncture, Trump resorted to claiming that the coronavirus isn’t actually all that bad: “Many of those cases are young people that would heal in a day. They have the sniffles and we put it down as a test. Many of them — don't forget, I guess it's like 99.7 percent, people are going to get better and in many cases they’re going to get better very quickly.” 

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield said last week, “I do think this fall and winter of 2020, 2021, are probably going to be one of the most difficult times that we’ve experienced in American public health.” 

“I don't know and I don't think he knows. I don't think anybody knows with this. This is a very tricky deal,” Trump said. 

To support his dismissal of scientific expertise on the pandemic, he cited misleading speculation, early in the pandemic, that it might disappear in the summer. 

“Everybody thought this summer it would go away and it would come back in the fall,” said Trump. “Well, when the summer came, they used to say the heat — the heat was good for it and it really knocks it out, remember? And then it might come back in the fall. So they got that one wrong.”

The first prominent person to make that claim was Trump himself, back in February, when he said, “Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”

Oh, there's more.

Even though some people seem to not get very sick with covid, doctors have said that those patients also show lung damage on x-rays.  In Icelandic news today they say that many people who weren't very sick with covid are now applying for rehab weeks later saying they haven't recovered, they are always tired, they have lung problems. In some cases they are worse now than they were when they got it.

I read The Guardian piece in JohnG's link and shake my head at the meaningless noises coming from the UK and the Spanish governments. Do they still not get it??

"The UK government has advised against all but essential travel to mainland Spain" = MEANINGLESS. People are still free to go. And will surely do so.

"...all people arriving from Spain from Sunday will have to self-isolate for two weeks." How will they enforce this?

"The government also urged employers to be understanding towards staff who have to self-isolate" = MEANINGLESS

Spain said on Saturday it was a safe country with localised, isolated and controlled outbreaks of the coronavirus.

Will it stay that way if they are constantly importing tourists?

I wouldn’t want to be a North Korean border guard right now.. heads will roll ( literally?).. 

Defected North Korean returned after 3 years to spread corona?😟

Just wondering what the lie of the century is? Plenty of competition! https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53541730