Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,389 posts in this topic

show of hands, do we really even need two corona threads anymore?    It seems like everyone just posts whatever they want wherever they want anyway, and maybe that's not the end of the world.  The only reason I haven't closed or merged them is because it doesn't seem to make much difference if there are one or two, as long as there aren't twenty.

Thoughts?

@dessa_dangerous  The line between the two threads definitely has blurred, but there is still a line.  The other thread seems to have become mostly memes.  This thread has ventured into conspiracy theory and hyperbole on a number of occasions, but it is still a bit more informative than silly.

I would prefer to keep the threads separate.

(edit)  Sorry, I seem to have got mixed up about the threads - THIS thread is the silly meme thread, the OTHER thread is a bit more informative.

16 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

show of hands, do we really even need two corona threads anymore?

It seems like everyone just posts whatever they want wherever they want anyway, and maybe that's not the end of the world.

The only reason I haven't closed or merged them is because it doesn't seem to make much difference if there are one or two, as long as there aren't twenty.

Thoughts?

Yes, no (I don't), are you serious, yes.

Keep 2 threads, I agree with the others that the separation is a bit blurred, but that thread is 240 pages and this one is 120, that would be a huge thread if combined.

"Table For One"

Bord För En restaurant consists of a single table and chair in a field (Credit: Credit: Bord För En)

Sweden's single-diner restaurant:

When Sweden implored its citizens to socially distance themselves, one couple answered that call to duty in an unconventional way.

The romantic picture of sitting in a lush meadow surrounded by blooming wildflowers and dining from a picnic basket might conjure up thoughts of Instagram lifestyle influencers, who tend to be mostly female. But for Linda Karlsson, her novel dining idea’s main demographic has surprised her.

“Men,” she said. “It has been almost only men who have booked the table.”

“The table” she refers to is, in fact, her new restaurant Bord För En (Table For One), which opened on 10 May. Located in Ransäter, a tiny rural town tucked in the Swedish countryside in Värmland, around 350km west of Stockholm, it consists of a sole wooden table and single chair set in her garden overlooking a verdant pasture. A candle and bouquet of wildflowers finish off the demure table setting.

The story behind this new venture is as sweet as the setting. When Karlsson’s elderly parents wanted to visit her during the current Covid-19 situation, she and her partner, Rasmus Persson, needed to devise a way of sharing a meal with them without compromising their health. Since they couldn’t sit at the same table for safety reasons, they decided to set up a table outside in the garden to “remotely dine” with Karlsson’s parents while they conversed through the window.

BBC

Misinformation about the origins of Covid-19 is far more likely to be spread by pro-Trump, QAnon or Republican bots on Twitter than any other source, according to a study commissioned by the Australia Institute’s Centre for Responsible Technology.

In late March, when the coronavirus pandemic was taking hold in the US and across much of the rest of the world, two researchers at Queensland University of Technology, Timothy Graham and Axel Bruns, analysed 2.6m tweets related to coronavirus, and 25.5m retweets of those tweets, over the course of 10 days.

They filtered out legitimate accounts from those accounts most likely to be bots, which can be identified when they retweet identical coronavirus-related content within one second of each other...

the rest