Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,634 posts in this topic

No dignity, no future: Boris forsakes leadership to protect Cummings

5ecb7e4c7a946_BJsock.jpg.e951ff04fcd8c63

Look on the bright side: at least we’ve had it confirmed who is actually running the country these days, and it isn’t the prime minister. Boris Johnson is no more than Dominic Cummings’s sock-puppet. A fairly shabby one at that. The reality is that without Classic Dom, there could be no Boris. All that Boris really amounts to is a parasitical ball of compromised ambition fuelled by a viral overload of neediness and cowardice. There is no substance or dignity left within the prime minister. His only instinct is his own survival.

1 hour ago, Wulfrun said:

This will only improve Boris` standing with his base.

You see it everywhere in comments,all his supporters believe it`s only the "Leftwaffe" (ooh a nickname harking back to WWII,surprising eh)and "Remoaners" who believe Cummings did any wrong.

Whataboutism is also very prevalent as in when Keir Starmer made a statement about it the comments (Many from "journalists") were all about his prosecutorial record rather than actually the case in hand.

If Cummings had come out and said "yer fuck it I did wrong but I just wanted to be with my family during my illness" then most people would have said yer ok don`t do it again,but instead he doubles down and then Boris says he was only doing what good parents do,ergo any parent who didn`t do it isn`t a good parent.

It's not so much Cummings that's the problem as Boris Johnson's reaction to it. By not kicking Cummings out he's kicking a hole in public trust in the government's rules on lifting (and possibly in due course reimposing) lockdown measures, and people flouting the rules because of their lack of trust in government could ultimately end up killing even more people.

But Cummings is clearly a law unto himself. His wardrobe alone seems a clue. He was on the news today slouching out of Downing Street in an orange sweatshirt and jogging pants with stripes down the side. OK for mooching around at home but for going to work in Downing Street in possibly one of the most influential positions in government?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a member of the royal family (the Queen? the Queen Mother? can't remember) said that she always dressed smartly to meet the public as they did the same for her. I suspect that Cummings' mode of dress, no doubt at complete odds with that of colleagues, while holding this public position could well reflect not just contempt for the media's opinion of him but of public opinion and ultimately of the public itself.

Oh, Lorelei, the poor man probably can't see what clothes he chose. He had to do the drive to Barnard Castle to check his eyesight, don't you know?!  (As he claimed in the press conference he gave this afternoon.)

The excuses get more and more surreal  ... 

1 hour ago, Feierabend said:

Oh, Lorelei, the poor man probably can't see what clothes he chose. He had to do the drive to Barnard Castle to check his eyesight, don't you know?!  (As he claimed in the press conference he gave this afternoon.)

The excuses get more and more surreal  ...

Haha, yes, that must explain it! The press conference was like a dog digging a very big hole. Will be curious to see how the media reacts. The political cartoons should be interesting.

A couple of existing Guardian cartoons on the subject:

It stinks … Because you're exceptional

Here seems fine to stop and take a leak

27 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

2159704A-51B2-47A3-B7EF-A73BBD156744.jpe

It really IS difficult to know who to believe any more! Scientists don’t necessarily agree with each other. Some are saying “ end of the world if this or that doesn’t or does happen.”

Others are saying “ what a load of crap.”

And others are having affairs with someone across town!😷

35 minutes ago, john g. said:

It really IS difficult to know who to believe any more! Scientists don’t necessarily agree with each other.

Yes but I haven`t seen any scientists who said it`s not dangerous unlike  the other "experts" who believe it`s either not dangerous or doesn`t actually exist.

4 hours ago, Lorelei said:

It's not so much Cummings that's the problem as Boris Johnson's reaction to it.

It to me shows how weak he is personally.Cummings is his advisor ffs not some elected official.

There appears to be many holes in Cummings story but he has the bare faced nerve to stand in front of the press and double down.

Also wtf is a govt adviser doing giving a statement and press conference at No10 ?

Got to admit the absolute best was though the fact he tested his eyesight by putting his child and his wife in car and driving for 30 miles.

Who other than a sociopath would think of doing that,unless of course he`s lying but there`s no way that could be the best excuse he could come up with if it wasn`t true.

10 hours ago, john g. said:

It really IS difficult to know who to believe any more! Scientists don’t necessarily agree with each other. Some are saying “ end of the world if this or that doesn’t or does happen.”

Others are saying “ what a load of crap.”

And others are having affairs with someone across town!😷

Well, you don't  listen to any of these folks.

Republican political operatives are recruiting “extremely pro-Trump” doctors to go on television to prescribe reviving the U.S. economy as quickly as possible, without waiting to meet safety benchmarks proposed by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to slow the spread of the new coronavirus.

The plan was discussed in a May 11 conference call with a senior staffer for the Trump reelection campaign organized by CNP Action, an affiliate of the GOP-aligned Council for National Policy. A leaked recording of the hourlong call was provided to The Associated Press by the Center for Media and Democracy, a progressive watchdog group.

CNP Action is part of the Save Our Country Coalition, an alliance of conservative think tanks and political committees formed in late April to end state lockdowns implemented in response to the pandemic. Other members of the coalition include the FreedomWorks Foundation, the American Legislative Exchange Council and Tea Party Patriots

Beach goers helping the US to achieve herd immunity:

https://www.businessinsider.com/beaches-packed-memorial-day-weekend-crowds-flout-social-distancing-warnings-2020-5?r=DE&IR=T

Massive crowds gathered at beaches over Memorial Day weekend, drawing warnings from authorities on Sunday about people disregarding the coronavirus social-distancing rules and risking a resurgence of the virus.
In the Tampa area along Florida's Gulf Coast, the crowds were so big that authorities took the extraordinary step of closing parking lots because they were full.

In Daytona Beach, Florida, gunfire erupted Saturday night along a beachside road where more than 200 people had gathered and were seen partying and dancing despite the restrictions.

I did not use the "Only in America.." thread, since I am pretty sure this will also happen in Europe.

There were also many huge pool parties, cookouts, etc. with no distancing or masks. In my own state, SC, there was a big disco party with about 100 but it was on private property so the law enforcement couldn't do anything about it. 

So all the lockdown, lost jobs, etc. just don't matter any more for those that have been doing the right thing.