Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,512 posts in this topic

So my phone was updated to support face unlocking while wearing a mask, I tested several times at home, it worked like a charm.   Then I went yesterday to the supermarket and when it came the time to pay the damn thing didn't unlock, I had to remove my mask for 2 seconds after the thing failing like 5 times.  Damn technology, lol.

P.S., First world problems, I know.

31 minutes ago, Krieg said:

So my phone was updated to support face unlocking while wearing a mask, I tested several times at home, it worked like a charm.   Then I went yesterday to the supermarket and when it came the time to pay the damn thing didn't unlock, I had to remove my mask for 2 seconds after the thing failing like 5 times.  Damn technology, lol.

Don't you have a backup password? One that doesn't require your face?

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

Don't you have a backup password? One that doesn't require your face?

Yes, but for payments only face ID or fingerprint are safe.  Or at least that's how it is configured.  The fingerprint reader is on the screen and it is not the best either.

2 hours ago, cybil said:

Still seeing REWE workers with only the thin plastic shield instead of a cloth mask, even ones working at the meat/cheese area where they work with the unpackaged food and they work in the same Kreis as my place of work, so why isn't my boss mentioning this as an option for us? I have to ask him, I just can't get a hold of him for a few seconds even to ask. 

My neighbour's manager didn't have a clue, neither did her doctor at first until she insisted he (the doctor) inform himself. So best go to your doctor and ask whether you are eligable for an excemption note (Befreiungsausweis) due to your breathing problems and if so then show it to your manager. 

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

Why not use the watch?

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Why not use the watch?

I do have a smartwatch but it does not have NFC, it is still working very well so I am do not plan to replace it just because of that.   I saw there are now rings with NFC and that would work nicely and they are not so expensive, but all the ones I saw looked extremely tacky.

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

Never happened with my EC card.

Just sayin.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Never happened with my EC card.

Just sayin.

You still have to touch the terminal to put your PIN, I guess.

I actually keep the card on the pocket, out of the wallet. If the amount is below 20€, I use wireless payment with the card. Above, I have to insert the pin, but I use the card's corner to press the keys. Then I put the card back into that specific pocket. As I only use the card 1-2 per week, by the next time I touch it, any potential virus on the surface is already gone.

22 hours ago, hellfire99 said:

Why are you tired, Cybil? 

Because she works at Maccers behind a fryer, and is getting less than 70% of the oxygen she should be getting and that makes her tired.

Was that an actual question - therefore you are quite stupid, or a pretend question, in which case really mean? 

Of course there won't be an actual answer to that but sheesh.

Some people. 

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

I actually keep the card on the pocket, out of the wallet. If the amount is below 20€, I use wireless payment with the card. Above, I have to insert the pin, but I use the card's corner to press the keys. Then I put the card back into that specific pocket. As I only use the card 1-2 per week, by the next time I touch it, any potential virus on the surface is already gone.

So you don't touch anything in the store the whole time you're shopping? Do you pick up your wine with the card?  :D

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

So you don't touch anything in the store the whole time you're shopping? Do you pick up your wine with the card?  :D

The payment terminal is touch by a lot of people.  The comparison does not make any sense.  It is not like all the customer are walking around touching every single item in the shop.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

That's why I shop at 8am, Monday. The vast majority of items is still untouched since at least Saturday 20:00.

But the keypad...as Krieg said, everyone going through the cashier is touching it!

8 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I don't buy that.  They say viruses can live a very short period of time on the notes, but when you pay something the money is touched by two people in a matter of seconds.  And the cashier is a center point for a bunch of people.