Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,521 posts in this topic

I am convinced, Lorelei! I am going back to work tomorrow and staying at home!🥱😷🙏🏻
I can multitask!

I didn't know I was missing this, but it just makes me realize that what Britain really needs is a Jamaican PM.

Big up!

3 hours ago, alderhill said:

I didn't know I was missing this, but it just makes me realize that what Britain really needs is a Jamaican PM.

Britain really needs a real PM...

OK. this is the part when it gets scary as shit to me -

Michigan has been one of the hardest hit states in the country during the coronavirus pandemic. As a result, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer issued strict stay-at-home orders — but not all residents are happy about them. People who disagree with the forced shutdown of many businesses and public spaces have made their displeasure known with ongoing protests at the State House. And, in the case of a barber shop in the town of Owosso, an armed militia is on guard outside to prevent the police from coming inside and shutting it down.

here

So if a crack house selling drugs has armed people around it, the police just won't go in and bust them.

There seems to be some confusion, especially with my many friends who live in and around my childhood home of Hay-on-Wye which sits right on the border of England and Wales. So I thought this might help.

In Wales you should stay at home unless you need to go to work in England. When you cross the border please be alert. There is no requirement for being alert at any time in Wales.

If you do travel to work in England please only use the bus as far as the border where you should either start walking or use a bicycle for the remainder of your journey.

In Wales you should not travel to exercise unless you travel to exercise in England when, as long as you are alert you`ll be fine as long as you haven’t travelled on your way to the border and you`ve stayed home whilst you are travelling. You will be asked for a certificate in England to prove your alertness. The English can travel to exercise as long as they don’t cross the border where they`ll be arrested for being alert but not at home.

In Wales it is important to realise that essential travel now also includes buying Dahlias and other essential flowers.

In England gardening is not classed as essential but you still need to be alert when you are not being allowed to shop for well rotted manure.

On June the 1st if your Welsh child attends an English school, as long as they are alert, they can go to school as long as they stay at home whilst at school. If you are on the English side of the border and your child goes to a Welsh school they can't because they should stay home even though they are alert and don’t need to stay home because they don’t live in Wales.

In July everyone in Cusop is opening a pub to cater for the thirsty hordes of Welsh who will flout the rules and not stay at home, go to the English pop up pubs and then be arrested in England on the way back to the border for not being alert after 10 pints of cider or in Wales for not being at home irrespective of the state of alertness.

/s

...and remember "Be alert!"

Coronavirus may never go away, World Health Organization warns

The coronavirus "may never go away", the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned.

Speaking at a briefing on Wednesday, WHO emergencies director Dr Mike Ryan warned against trying to predict when the virus would disappear. He added that even if a vaccine is found, controlling the virus will require a "massive effort"

Almost 300,000 people worldwide are reported to have died with coronavirus, and more than 4.3m cases recorded.

The UN meanwhile warned the pandemic was causing widespread distress and mental ill health - particularly in countries where there's a lack of investment in mental healthcare.

The UN urged governments to make mental health considerations part of their overall response.

On 5/11/2020, 9:47:09, SpiderPig said:

Today is my mothers funeral and yet I sit here many hundreds of KM away un-able to attend !  

Sorry mate!:(

My cousin died some weeks' ago and she's been put in a queue to be buried...family haven't heard back since. A HUGE mortuary has been erected in East London/Essex (Wanstead flats) where body has been taken. Family say it is heart-wrenching to see how many bodies are being transported there on a daily basis. WTF is going on?????

12 minutes ago, dom said:

Sorry mate!:(

My cousin died some weeks' ago and she's been put in a queue to be buried...family haven't heard back since. A HUGE mortuary has been erected in East London/Essex (Wanstead flats) where body has been taken. Family say it is heart-wrenching to see how many bodies are being transported there on a daily basis. WTF is going on????

You read this then you read the numptys who still consider it no worse than flu season,or want to let it run through the country unchecked.Some people are unbelievable.

38 minutes ago, Keleth said:

You read this then you read the numptys who still consider it no worse than flu season,or want to let it run through the country unchecked.Some people are unbelievable.

only picture I could find of the mortuary

Latest News in Wanstead Flats in Greater London, England ...

On 5/13/2020, 6:14:48, Keleth said:

Saw an interview from UK TV with a politician talking about the relaxing of the lockdown ( May have been Hancock).

They were talking about visiting grandparents.

Apparently you can visit your grandparents but only actually meet them 1 at a time and you have to leave 10 mins between visits.

Can anyone actually explain the science behind this ?

I can try, but it's based on an article I read and I am not a doctor or even especially well-read on disease control or spread.

The theory is that you're more likely to pick up the virus from extended time spent with a single infected person than from being briefly exposed to lots of different people who may or may not be at different stages of an infection.

The more ill the infected person, the more contagious they are.  The "viral load" of each patient varies throughout the duration of their illness.  As with most viruses, a person is the most contagious in the couple of days before they begin showing symptoms and at the height of their illness.  That means that their breath, mucous and saliva have more viral copies per ml than when their body has fought it off a bit more.

I read different estimates of how many "units" of corona one needs to become infected, or rather, that 50% of the population needs to become infected.  We'll take 1000 for now.  The theory is that when you are with the Evil One who is to grant you your entry to Coronatown, if the person is asymptomatic they may breathe out 50 copies per breath.  In order for you to get sick, they need to breathe directly into your face 20 times, or sneeze directly into your mouth once, or stick their finger into your eye twice, you get it from here I hope.

So the idea is also that the infected droplets tend to drop to the floor and can become aerosol if sneezed, but mainly that you need to spend a considerable amount of time with an infected person to get sick yourself.  Walking past three infected people on the street even if they are actively ill is supposed to pose relatively little risk.

The link to this article was posted not long ago by a TTer but which one it was escapes me at the moment.

2 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I can try, but it's based on an article I read and I am not a doctor or even especially well-read on disease control or spread.

The theory is that you're more likely to pick up the virus from extended time spent with a single infected person than from being briefly exposed to lots of different people who may or may not be at different stages of an infection.

The more ill the infected person, the more contagious they are.  The "viral load" of each patient varies throughout the duration of their illness.  As with most viruses, a person is the most contagious in the couple of days before they begin showing symptoms and at the height of their illness.  That means that their breath, mucous and saliva have more viral copies per ml than when their body has fought it off a bit more.

I read different estimates of how many "units" of corona one needs to become infected, or rather, that 50% of the population needs to become infected.  We'll take 1000 for now.  The theory is that when you are with the Evil One who is to grant you your entry to Coronatown, if the person is asymptomatic they may breathe out 50 copies per breath.  In order for you to get sick, they need to breathe directly into your face 20 times, or sneeze directly into your mouth once, or stick their finger into your eye twice, you get it from here I hope.

So the idea is also that the infected droplets tend to drop to the floor and can become aerosol if sneezed, but mainly that you need to spend a considerable amount of time with an infected person to get sick yourself.  Walking past three infected people on the street even if they are actively ill is supposed to pose relatively little risk.

The link to this article was posted not long ago by a TTer but which one it was escapes me at the moment.

Ok I understand that.

However they seem extreme measures when those grandparents could regularly have a cleaner in the house.

It really does seem that the UK are going at this totally half arsed.

I have followed your instructions carefully, Keefy.

I have chopped the chillies. What was the second part again?