Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,537 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has already been asked—just wondering, does anyone know if there is any disruption in mail deliveries from the US to Germany? One of the (unfortunate) few that's waiting for the stimulus funding by mailed check—as I just found out. Thanks in advance!

UK scientists condemn 'Stalinist' attempt to censor Covid-19 advice

Government scientific advisers are furious at what they see as an attempt to censor their advice on government proposals during the Covid-19 lockdown by heavily redacting an official report before it was released to the public, the Guardian can reveal.

The report was one of a series of documents published by the Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage) this week to mollify growing criticism about the lack of transparency over the advice given to ministers responding to the coronavirus.

However, large blocks of text in the report, produced by SPI-B, the Sage subcommittee providing advice from behavioural scientists on how the public might respond to lockdown measures, were entirely blanked out.

Several SPI–B members told the Guardian that the redacted portions of the document contained criticisms they had made of potential government policies they had been formally asked to consider in late March and early April.

One SPI-B adviser said: “It is bloody silly, and completely counterproductive.” A second committee member said: “The impression I’m getting is this government doesn’t want any criticism.”

17 hours ago, Keefy said:

,The interiors for "The Name of the Rose" were filmed at Kloster Eberbach in the Rheingau...some of the buildings are in a remarkable state of preservation and are used as a hotel/hospitality suites. 

I drove past that today...  a lovely part of Germany...  

10 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

A second committee member said: “The impression I’m getting is this government doesn’t want any criticism.”

Must be the new guy.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I drove past that today...  a lovely part of Germany...  

It is indeed, and, according to legend, it's where Germany discovered the secrets of late-picked wine.

The monks at Kloster Eberbach apparently had to wait for permission from the Abbott of Fulda before picking the grapes. One year, the messenger from Fulda was seriously delayed (the legend does not say why). By the time he arrived, the grapes were dried out and rotten.

"OK, brothers, the Abbott says you can pick 'em."

"Is the Very Reverend Father out of his tiny mind? Look at this for a crop...seems that Satan has already burnt the things to smithereens!"

But the dutiful monks duly picked the grapes and made the wine, and to their surprise it turned out to be delicious...rich and honey-flavoured.

Anyway, that's the legend....but actually what happens is that the late-picked grapes can be subject to "Edelfaul"/"Noble rot"...the fungal infection (botrytis) makes small holes in the skin of the grape and some of the juice evaporates, leaving a very sweet honey-flavoured raisin behind.

So Lidl in town has had its rules for several weeks already- security guard at the door, you wait in a queue, one comes out with their shopping and then one person is allowed in, disinfecting your hands close to the security guard.

My partner Nicole had just been allowed in and I was then at the head of the queue- then a woman recognised me, greeted me and brushed past me.

Then she was ushered out by the security guard- „ go to the back of the queue.“

Her response: „ Oh, I didn‘t know about the rules.“

Who is she? She runs a flower and plant shop just over the road from Lidl!!!!

Nice try, lady!😂

14 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Evening, fraufruit! They should listen to the great British comedian - TONY Hancock (RIP etc )..in this sketch: at an NHS hospital to donate blood to save lives etc!

😂

A company that offered to make life-saving protective masks as the coronavirus began its spread across the U.S. in January was snubbed by government officials.

Michael Bowen, the owner of medical supply company Prestige Ameritech, told the Department of Health and Human Services that he could begin producing 1.7 million N95 masks a week, only to be denied, The Washington Post first reported.

“We still have four like-new N95 manufacturing lines,” Bowen emailed a top HHS official on Jan. 22, the day the first coronavirus case was detected in the country. “Reactivating these machines would be very difficult and very expensive but could be achieved in a dire situation.”

Laura Wolf, director of the agency’s Division of Critical Infrastructure Protection, responded that the government wasn’t “anywhere near answering those questions for you yet” in response to Bowen’s offer.

“We are the last major domestic mask company,” Bowen emailed the next day. “My phones are ringing now, so I don’t ‘need’ government business. I’m just letting you know that I can help you preserve our infrastructure if things ever get really bad. I’m a patriot first, businessman second.”

The new revelation is part of an 89-page whistleblower complaint from former federal vaccine chief Rick Bright, who alleges he was removed from his position as retaliation for his early warnings about the pandemic and his refusal to make “potentially harmful drugs” to combat the virus.

The newly revealed emails also show that Bright attempted to warn agency leaders about mask shortages, citing Bowen’s offer. But the offer fell “on deaf ears,” Bright told Bowen in an email. 

“U.S. mask supply is at imminent risk,” Bowen replied. “Rick, I think we’re in deep shit.”

I see that at least 10 times whenever I go on the street (sadly, the one of the left, not the one on the right).

Yes they do. WHO,RKI JHU et al are now recommending the usage The incubation period for COVID-19 is thought to extend to 14 days. This means you may be infected, have no symptoms but can still spread it, a mask reduces the possibility of this.

On 8.5.2020, 21:40:22, Keefy said:

It is indeed, and, according to legend, it's where Germany discovered the secrets of late-picked wine.

The monks at Kloster Eberbach apparently had to wait for permission from the Abbott of Fulda before picking the grapes. One year, the messenger from Fulda was seriously delayed (the legend does not say why). By the time he arrived, the grapes were dried out and rotten.

"OK, brothers, the Abbott says you can pick 'em."

"Is the Very Reverend Father out of his tiny mind? Look at this for a crop...seems that Satan has already burnt the things to smithereens!"

But the dutiful monks duly picked the grapes and made the wine, and to their surprise it turned out to be delicious...rich and honey-flavoured.

Anyway, that's the legend...but actually what happens is that the late-picked grapes can be subject to "Edelfaul"/"Noble rot"...the fungal infection (botrytis) makes small holes in the skin of the grape and some of the juice evaporates, leaving a very sweet honey-flavoured raisin behind.

This is also one of the first places ( So I heard from one of my chums who lives in the middle of these vinyards) that made "Ice wine"...   Thats them old wine grapes that have endured the first -5 or below frost!....  

I do particularly like the "Whire red wine!!"   Thats red wine, made in the traditional red wine way and then all the colour pigment filtered out just before bottling!!    Fecking amazing stuff!