Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,521 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Keleth said:

This is all very gentle and humorous but what if the hairdresser has Corona or 1 of her customers has,then it doesn`t sound so gentle and humorous.

Well, keleth, of course what you are saying is true. I don‘t watch Greek TV but the people in town seem to be fully aware of the latest official advice and are mostly following the guidelines. The atmosphere is now somewhat more relaxed than a week or two ago- it felt like a Science Fiction film a couple of weeks ago.

Here in our village, however , I am even more careful. Mask in the minimarkets.. the locals are not following social distancing at all. I am the only one with a silly mask here. And I am really careful. Many here are in their 70‘s and 80‘s and would be great extras in the movie “ in the Name of the Rose “!

No kidding! The incest here would itself be an interesting topic to film! No kidding again..

59 minutes ago, john g. said:

Many here are in their 70‘s and 80‘s and would be great extras in the movie “ in the Name of the Rose “!

No kidding!

,The interiors for "The Name of the Rose" were filmed at Kloster Eberbach in the Rheingau...some of the buildings are in a remarkable state of preservation and are used as a hotel/hospitality suites. In a previous incarnation I took a group there from the British Medical Association Wine Circle. The vintners were selling some of their "specials" - e,g, wine to be enjoyed after their son's wedding etc, etc. About half way through the tasting I was very much the worse for wear, I have to say...staggered to the tour-bus and slept for a hour, much to the driver's amusement.

8 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

A little more steam...

Bertsdorf-3.jpg.08d08bd2a53cb02596df1698

099 731-2 at Bertsdorf on the Zittau-Kurort Oybin line - July '94

Was there 10 years before you (in DDR times) and travelled both to Kurort Oybin and Kurort Jonsdorf.

Started off (after a breakfast which included rhubarb juice rather than orange or grapefruit juice) from an "Interhotel" in Görlitz - and travelled on a branch line which criss-crossed the DDR/Poland border several times along the valley of the River Neisse (as in the "Oder-Neisse line").

Decided to have lunch in at Zittau station. A uniformed guy from the Czech customs or border police wandered in, rubbed his hands gleefully and said: "Mmmm - I'll have a portion of xyz." So I thought I'd have the same. Oh my God! Grey lumpy something (supposedly meat???) in a thin grey sauce...looked as if a dirty dischcloth had been wrung out into a bowl. He looked at me, I looked at him, and he gave what I can only describe as a Gallic shrug. We left our money on the table and beat a hasty retreat.

A comment I posted on FB

As pointed out by Mike, if you go to YouTube and search “Plandemic Documentary the Hidden Agenda Behind Covid 19, or some similar search for a video that is 26:09 in length — the links keep getting deleted. Now a lot of people call it censorship but it's really the very messy word of content moderation. Social media has been a boon for conspiracy theorists and there are enough wackos out there who will act this, just look at all the cell towers being burned (hat tip Bill Gates is using 5G for mind control). Normal times nobody thinks to much of this but now in the middle of the pandemic it's taken on even more urgency. Good or bad the tech giants have decided that they are only going to allow official channels (WHO NHS government officials etc) to stay up.

So perhaps the bigger question is big tech too big?

Who is the middle aged white guy in Silicon Valley who gets to decided what are the official channels we're allowed to view?

Is it right that in a middle of a massive killer pandemic that a poorly paid contractor in the Philippians is given the job of deciding what is allowed and what needs to be removed?

56 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

So perhaps the bigger question is big tech too big?

Who is the middle aged white guy in Silicon Valley who gets to decided what are the official channels we're allowed to view?

Is it right that in a middle of a massive killer pandemic that a poorly paid contractor in the Philippians is given the job of deciding what is allowed and what needs to be removed?

Is big tech too big? Yes it is. Is the now legacy media also too big? Yes it is. They all repeat the same 4am talking points. Take a look at this video embedded in the Tweet 71:

8 hours ago, Keefy said:

Was there 10 years before you (in DDR times) and travelled both to Kurort Oybin and Kurort Jonsdorf.

At that time I was working in Libya, unfortunately there were no trains there. Some bits of the old line from Benghazi to Tripoli were visible in places.

If your child tests positive for Covid in California the authorities will come and take your child away. What era does this remind us of?

There is nothing in this video about wrenching children away from their homes. Though of course children are people so that is how the point is being stretched.

Not that I'm against being vigilant about authoritarianism, but look at the background of this Bigtree guy to get the feel of where he's coming from. Antivaxxer promulgating discredited information for a start ...

All you have to do is see the poster and you know it's manufactured (or completely fake) controversy.

1 hour ago, jeremytwo said:

Is big tech too big? Yes it is. Is the now legacy media also too big? Yes it is. They all repeat the same 4am talking points. Take a look at this video embedded in the Tweet 71:

I believe the second one was when a Conservative owner bought a bunch of TV stations and sent them all a script to read from

6 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

All you have to do is see the poster and you know it's manufactured (or completely fake) controversy.

post, not poster, for the scrillionth time.

That being said, it's really hard this morning not to flex my mod muscles or request certain material not be posted to "my" topic :ph34r: and FFS I scroll past anything linked from Twitter.  By anyone.  Regarding anything. Ever and anywhere.  Bobsakes cut it out.  If I wanted to read Twitter nonsense, I would go to Twitter.  In my opinion it's even an bigger cesspool than FB; with the latter at least you're allowed to type out a halfway thought-through piece of content.  With only 140 characters allowed per post it's no surprise Twitter is full of oversimplified half-truths and other assorted fragmented flotsam.

That's a lofty goal, @dessa_dangerous, but if you're at a bar having a conversation about a given topic and someone sitting at a table in the back starts flinging poo at you, the bar, the bartender, and all the other patrons, do you have a polite discourse about the positives and negatives about flinging poo? Even after he's been told unequivocally that all his sources telling him that flinging poo is completely acceptable behavior are wrong, again and again?

We have a "conspiracy theories" thread where he's free to post his stuff (for others to ignore) to his heart's content. This is supposed to be a thread on the lighter (and maybe weirder) side of the COVID-19 crisis, not another playground for him to spread his Qanon garbage.

Sorry, I know I'm attacking the poster again, but really, how can you not?

Anyway, back on topic:

People have got a bit better at not quoting the whole thing every time, though, and that has made a tremendous difference.

11 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Sorry, I know I'm attacking the poster again, but really, how can you not?

Put the poster on ignore.  The attacks from you, AlexTr, fraufruit, keleth and SpiderPig result in more posts not less.   If you are addicted to attacking and virtue signalling or have fascist leanings wanting everyone to agree with you or be banished, well that's on you.   

By the way, feel free to 

Adjust your self-righteous attitude.

Acknowledge that you are not always correct.

Stop your whining.

Get some exercise.

You're welcome.  

24 minutes ago, balticus said:

Put the poster on ignore.  The attacks from you, AlexTr, fraufruit, keleth and SpiderPig result in more posts not less.

He`s been ignored by everyone before but it doesn`t stop him.

Unlike you he is not just someone trying to promote an agenda but in a way he is dangerous.

26 minutes ago, balticus said:

Adjust your self-righteous attitude.

Acknowledge that you are not always correct.

Stop your whining.

Get some exercise.

People in glass houses is an apt reply to you here.