Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,634 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, cybil said:

Out on a long walk yesterday, I spotted a very tall May pole in a neraby village. How did they got it up, fully decorated with the Kranz and the German flag using only two people? 

One was the local Obelix. That's how.

2 minutes ago, alexunterwegs said:

It is noticeable that there are rather less litter bins in Germany than back in the UK. Can be annoying waiting to find one, not that I am (hardly) ever tempted to be a litter bug. 

Just proves that if people are properly taught in the first place, society doesn't have to pick up the tab later. (must be a scientific theory to back that up).   

Yer Germany never had the IRA planting bombs in their bins.

2 hours ago, cybil said:

Out on a long walk yesterday, I spotted a very tall May pole in a neraby village. How did they got it up, fully decorated with the Kranz and the German flag using only two people? 

One of the villages near me have a very tall pole, the local fire brigade use their ladder appliance to hoist it up :)

Shit. Down at the beach today with the dogs- allowed. Swimming probably allowed from Monday on uncrowded beaches eg here-  cos no tourists. . Hairdressers opening Monday. Travel permission extended to cover a couple of towns we need to go to sometimes.

But- compulsory mask wearing in public places. This is new here.

We both have a so far unworn mask. Run on them Monday, I expect. But where are they? None around here to buy...

We know we have been fortunate so far on Crete, which is one of the safest places in Europe right now.

I'm sure everyone here would like to join with me in wishing PM Johnson and his girlfriend all the best with their wee baby son,  Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson. 

Apparently, they named the baby after the doctors that saved the PM. 

God bless them and all who sail in them! 

Carrie Symonds and Boris Johnson name baby son after doctors who saved PM's life

Carrie Symonds and Boris Johnson have named their baby son Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson - with the name Nicholas chosen in a nod to the two doctors who saved the prime minister's life.

Announcing the news on Instagram, Ms Symonds said the baby was named after the prime minister's grandfather, Wilfred, and her grandfather, Lawrie.

She said he was also named after the two doctors, Dr Nick Price and Professor Nick Hart, who saved Mr Johnson's life when he was in intensive care with coronavirus last month.

hairy.JPG.6804128f83c75332b12326f1c18c6d

Looks like he's wearing a fucking wig! 

18 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

I'm sure everyone here would like to join with me in wishing PM Johnson and his girlfriend all the best with their wee baby son,  Wilfred Lawrie Nicholas Johnson

Nope not me and not because it`s Johnson.

I can never see the point in congratulating total strangers,(because that`s what they are even though some people think because they`re famous that they know them)like politicians,celebrities or whoever.

Plus we know you posted this just to troll basically.

You‘re the one on the right!😂 The one on the left looks like he‘s filling up at the petrol station!

11 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Nope not me and not because it`s Johnson.

I can never see the point in congratulating total strangers,(because that`s what they are even though some people think because they`re famous that they know them)like politicians,celebrities or whoever.

Plus we know you posted this just to troll basically.

I wish all parents and their babies love and pleasure - whoever they are. I think it is totally normal to wish strangers much joy at the birth of a child, whoever the parents are. 
I just came back from a doggie walk and saw a bloke setting up a barbeque in his patio.

I asked him if it was a special day on Crete today and he told me it was his birthday.

So I wished him Happy Birthday Greek-style and he was happy.

Why not?

Good will gesture.

No one was harmed and a butterfly spread its wings and hopefully made a start to improving the world.

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

I wish all parents and their babies love and pleasure - whoever they are. I think it is totally normal to wish strangers much joy at the birth of a child, whoever the parents are. 

So who have you sent congratulations to today then ?

Just posted! Didn‘t send congratulations but offered them personally to a guy out on his patio.

People on here also offer congratulations on someone‘s birthday even if they don‘t the poster personally or offer commiserations if they are sad. Because that is a goodwill gesture.

And thinking back to my youth- I even remember a hearse passing down our street and people doffed their caps out of respect though they didn‘t know the dead person.

That‘s how old I am!

😂

7 minutes ago, john g. said:

Just posted! Didn‘t send congratulations but offered them personally to a guy out on his patio.

Have you sent congrats to anyone else today who you may not know,have never met or are likely to meet just because they`re famous?

World of difference between congratulating a stranger personally than one of the above.

No, I haven‘t! I don‘t do Facebook!😂

But my partner Nicole sent a message to some famous Hungarian pianist yesterday I had never heard of before his stay-at-home performance of „ the Two of Us „

Along the lines of „ beautiful and heart- warming.“

Not the same principle?

Goodwill and nice one..

3 minutes ago, john g. said:

No, I haven‘t! I don‘t do Facebook!😂

But my partner Nicole sent a message to some famous Hungarian pianist yesterday I had never heard of before his stay-at-home performance of „ the Two of Us „

Along the lines of „ beautiful and heart- warming.“

Not the same principle?

Goodwill and nice one..

Admiring someones work and acknowledging to them you admire it is a world of difference than if that pianist had just had a baby and your partner sent them a congrats mail.

What about sending commiserations to a stranger who has just lost their child? Empathy. Does that work?

2 minutes ago, john g. said:

What about sending commiserations to a stranger who has just lost their child? Empathy. Does that work?

Not for me but that`s a personal choice.If a complete stranger sent me commiserations it would probably make it worse for me.

Fair enough, keleth. We all have our way of dealing with bad news. And I am not „ arguing „with you, by the way. Just putting forward a point of view.

12 minutes ago, john g. said:

. And I am not „ arguing „with you, by the way. Just putting forward a point of view.

aka ... an arguement..