Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

3,125 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

From a FB expat group:

stupid_burns_1.JPG.61255b98335b86c56d4ad

stupid_burns_2.JPG.87d062944e46d18669155

The stupid - it burns worse than coronavirus!

follow up from the OP of that FB post:

carlosshit.png.60768c8afb18fec56d7fb0ea6

I STILL can't decide if he's purely trolling or not.  But judging from his choice of profile pics, I'd say, probably.

Flummox: the Rewe near me is almost out of all types of beans/lentils, but the asian store literally next door to Rewe is full of massive bags of every type of dried bean imaginable, all cheaper than what is being sold at Rewe. 

@AlexTr ugh disgusted and angered but somehow not knocked over with surprise.

Where do the people who will grow up into big Germans learn how to do life as little Germans?  Kita.  

I never once saw a_n Erzieher_in instruct a child to cover their mouths when coughing or sneezing.  I'm sure I've written here about the year scarlet fever (!!!) did the rounds at the kitas I taught at and there was just a sign up on the door advising pregnant women not to enter.  No other efforts to prevent the spread of what in the US is regarded as an obsolete, pioneer disease, something you die of while playing Oregon Trail like dysentery or whooping cough. And of course we have all seen grown-ass people on the tram or bahn coughing and sneezing openly onto all the other passengers around them.  So while what your neighbor did is DISGUSTING and she deserved a back-slap...   she'd be just as happy to feed a child from that snotty hand too, no doubt.

Not sure if this is the beginning of some kind of germ awareness in Germany, but twice while I was running my errands today and waiting in lines, I coughed into my coat; both times, people ahead of me in line turned around to see who the culprit was.  And other than myself I noticed almost no other coughing or sniffling people around.  Maybe they are beginning to pull out of the middle ages and realize that illnesses are caused by tiny little invisible things that fly through the air and not by drafts or going out of the house without socks on.

Happy birthday, @lisa13 !

20 minutes ago, willowhands said:

Flummox: the Rewe near me is almost out of all types of beans/lentils, but the asian store literally next door to Rewe is full of massive bags of every type of dried bean imaginable, all cheaper than what is being sold at Rewe. 

You can find BEANS?! In DE?!  (Yes, I can find beans, but only the little 500g packs and those at an abhorrent price)

Franken is indeed a bit backwards. :(

31 minutes ago, LostInEurope01 said:

You can find BEANS?! In DE?! 

asian and turkish markets are where it's at wrt beans and more exotic types of lentils.   Pricing is better too.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

today is my birthday and I booked it as a vacation day for some fun, but I'm feeling a bit too cautious to go out for a romp or meet up with any friends (I was sick most of the week, don't want to pass it on and certainly don't want to catch anything "new").  so boooooo.

All things aside, I wish you a happy birthday! 

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

today is my birthday and I booked it as a vacation day for some fun, but I'm feeling a bit too cautious to go out for a romp or meet up with any friends (I was sick most of the week, don't want to pass it on and certainly don't want to catch anything "new").  so boooooo.

Ergo I haven't done squat aside from baking a delicious loaf of no-knead bread, confirming I don't even need to leave the house for baked goods.  Win!  I will probably also do laundry in hopes that the machines are free today.  Not a big win but if it pans out, better than jockeying for position.

I also discovered in a round about way (by logging into company email on a day off) that maybe we are possibly working from home next week?  Not sure as my boss has a hard time ever saying what he means.  He alternately made it sound like we should self determine if we had any risky encounters to warrant working from home vs everyone should be working from home vs no one is logged into the online portal he wants us logged into during work-at-home hours vs no freaking idea what is going on.  I sent him an email but no response yet.  surprised?  me?  oh gosh no. 

the sun finally came out so maybe a bit of gardening is in the cards, too.

Happy 21st, Lisa!

🙏🏻👍🏼

someone please tell me I am not the only absolute paranoid ass to take a disinfectant wipe to the groceries upon getting home.  Not everything, mind, just things I think might have been touched by a lot of people.

I washed my green onions and celery, too.  Not with soap or anything!  That felt less ridiculous than wiping down packages of (fake) lunch meat, though :rolleyes: 

and today was not the first time I did it, either :ph34r:

1 minute ago, dessa_dangerous said:

someone please tell me I am not the only absolute paranoid ass to take a disinfectant wipe to the groceries upon getting home.  Not everything, mind, just things I think might have been touched by a lot of people.

Thanks Dessa! Now I'm going to end up doing this too and it is all your fault for giving me this idea.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

As this youngish woman, a kindergarten teacher, knelt down and pet my dog, she coughed a big, wet, cough into her hand. She played with the spittle in her hand for a moment and then allowed my dog to LICK IT OFF HER HAND AND THEN PET THE DOG WITH HER WET HAND. I had no words. We got out of there and the other neighbor did her best to distract me with talk of other news, but I was freaked out.

My real hate is spitting, the Chinese do it without thinking and also a lot of Turks and Arabs. The Chinese tourists aren't around as much as they use to be but the Turks still are. It's like they can't be classed as manly unless they can gob flem a minimum of 3M

2 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

How was your day?

Feeling fed-up:  I'd been looking forwarded for almost 6 months to my week's vacation on Mallorca due to start today.

Was to have comprised daily tours to various noteworthy places on the island & to include a trip with the railway to Solier.

I'd have gone but two nagging females at home saying "you should cancel" & the probably good chance of a total shutdown in Europe during the coming week thus leaving me stranded "forced" my to cancel yesterday at great expense.

First World problem...:(:(

12 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I washed my green onions and celery, too.  Not with soap or anything!  That felt less ridiculous than wiping down packages of (fake) lunch meat, though :rolleyes: 

and today was not the first time I did it, either :ph34r:

I am going full McCoy and washing the food wrapping in the shower and sprinkling it  with Run Wild eau de toilette. At least I’ll smell good if I get poisoned👍🏼

I have always wiped down tins and packets before putting them away. I remember an article about mouse droppings in stores!! So, another PA here!