Planning for second child while on maternity leave?

37 posts in this topic

Hello Community,

So this is that situation/plan. My wife is currently pregnant, and the Kindergarten that she works at has sent her home with full pay. No problem there. 

We are hoping to have another child fairly soon after this one is born. 

What we would like to know if my Mrs chooses to take 2 years maternity leave, and falls pregnant during the second year, would she receive a full pay (Arbeitverbot, I think?) like she is now? Or does she actually have to be back at work to receive that?

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Nothing wrong with forward planning, but you may not necessarily want to set this particular train in motion ever again, let alone one year later....:lol:

Ahhhh, young parents and their innocent knowledge of kids :)

Get the first one going, take some time to learn what it means, before jumping immediately to the second.

Yes, @MikeMelga. I had three children (no twins) before the eldest turned three; thirteen years later I had another baby and then his little brother, born 4 1/2 years after. 
Give your first baby a chance to become a person before kicking it out of the cradle. It's better for him/her and easier for you. 

7 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Get the first one going, take some time to learn what it means, before jumping immediately to the second.

I fully agree with you, but sometimes circumstances may not allow for a waiting period (e.g.-age, health)

10 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

My kids are 14 months apart and it was great. I don´t see any downside to having kids of similiar age.

We had a daughter, she was amazing. But we lost her before her second birthday. Although we are still dealing with that grief, depression and anxiety, we know more than anything that we want to have more children. It's complicated and emotional decision, but we have no doubt about what we want. 

44 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Here's somebody asking the same question: 

https://www.rund-ums-baby.de/recht/Beschaeftigungsverbot-nach-Elternzeit-Gehalt_93154.htm

The lawyer seems to think that the lady will get full wages again although in this case it complicates things that before finding out that she was pregnant again, she had asked to come back part time in which case she would only get part time pay.

Thank you Leon G, this was helpful. 

Seems like the answer directly above mine is as close as we are going to get in this thread :)

I am a fairly recent Mother, my daughter is almost 18 months.

Several families I know through DD's  baby group are either pregnant or just recently had a child. The record being a Mom who had twins when her first child was 11 months. This see

The one thing they all have in common: they all complain about how difficult it is...well...yes obviously. I myself am a 'Irish twin' being that my brother and I are only 10 months apart in age.

I don't know why (apart for health/age) reasons that so many people insist on having two in diapers at once. The families with the most balance I know have a healthy three or four year age gap.

Some Mothers I know think that doing a two for one deal will quell any suspicions from their employers that they will quickly get pregnant again. Not my experience at all. When I came back the first thing that happened to me is that my once unlimited contract had a new end date. Is that because of I married and fertile? I won't ever know for sure. It seems to me that other people assume  once you have had one child that you will quickly have another.

Yeah lots of people wanting to give their opinion on how we should feel, but very little help in the facts department. 

What we would like to know if my Mrs chooses to take 2 years maternity leave, and falls pregnant during the second year, would she receive a full pay (Arbeitverbot, I think?) like she is now?

Even if she receives a tigkeitsverbot to work with children, she can still be given other work to do during her pregnancy (for example, administrative work without direct contact with the children).

It's not about her not working, but whether she would be paid her full salary. She has not problem doing that work. 😊 In fact she is getting a little bored 😂

34 minutes ago, NativeFraulein said:

When I came back the first thing that happened to me is that my once unlimited contract had a new end date. Is that because of I married and fertile? I won't ever know for sure. It seems to me that other people assume  once you have had one child that you will quickly have another.

So they changed your unlimited contract?  How is that legal?

20 minutes ago, LeonG said:

So they changed your unlimited contract?  How is that legal?

No I believe the basis of the change is that I went from full time to part time. 

1 minute ago, NativeFraulein said:

No I believe the basis of the change is that I went from full time to part time. 

That is only a charge in hours. AFAIK they can't change it from permanent  to temporary.