Changing Work Contract to 'Aushilfe', Will Each Month's Work Still Contribute to Unemployment Benefit?

2 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Was hoping someone might be able to help me out with what is for me a bit of a confusing situation!

I currently work in service at a cafe with a befristet but Festangestellte contract, which is due to expire at the end of April. As I've recently started looking for a new, more skilled job, I informed my bosses that I did not want to take on a permanent contract as I've decided I want to move on to other opportunities. Therefore we opted for me staying on with them after April as an Aushilfe, giving me time to find work and them time to find and train someone to replace me. Though nothing has been signed yet. They want me to stay until they've found and trained someone and in return have told me they won't get rid of me until I've found something else too. I'm concerned this might have been a mistake, as I won't be paid for holidays if we have to close due to corona virus post April and also because I'm hoping that at some point in the future I might receive an education voucher (Bildungsgutschein) from the Jobcentre. However, I haven't yet worked a year in Germany and am thus currently ineligible. I'd like to ask first and foremost if anyone knows whether work performed while employed as an 'Aushilfe' counts as the kind of work that contributes towards these small payments to the Jobcentre that eventually allow you to claim unemployment benefit? And secondly, more of a subjective query, what people might think about the appropriateness of after announcing I wouldn't like to take on the permanent contract, to change my mind and request to work with a permanent contract that I would then resign from when I've found something? 

Many thanks in advance!

There's no crime in changing your mind, but you have tipped off your employer that one way or another you are no longer dependable.  I'd be looking for your replacement if I were them and prepare for your departure.

Next time, deal with realities and not plans.  Find the next job before you give notice at your current job.  I don't know if you've noticed that the world just flipped upside down in the past few days and that service jobs are useful only if there is someone to serve.