Cancel holiday over corona virus?

387 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, diego.hh said:

I even have to pay Reinigungsgebühr 150 Eur and Stay tax 98.00 Eur. It is unreal, I could cry! 

That is grossly out of order.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

Be sure to give bad ratings to these people on their websites.

Oh yes Fraufruit I will definitely write a great review warning people about this  

7 minutes ago, diego.hh said:

In the case of big corporation like Eurowings it is of course IMHO, more difficult, but renting directly like Fewo-direkt does, I even have to pay Reinigungsgebühr 150 Eur and Stay tax 98.00 Eur. It is unreal, I could cry! Anyways I am sure that If had an insurance then it will have an exception for a virus pandemic.

You are right!

pandemic is not covered in the travel insurance- well at least not in mine 😭

5 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

That is grossly out of order.

I will probably not cry, is going to be more in drinking whiskey direction, anyways I will talk with the verbraucherzentrale lawyer on Wednesday and see what we can do, or in other words how much Whiskey do I need to buy.

1 minute ago, atinherne said:

You are right!

pandemic is not covered in the travel insurance- well at least not in mine 😭

really, It was a Joke

20 minutes ago, diego.hh said:

I will probably not cry, is going to be more in drinking whiskey direction, anyways I will talk with the verbraucherzentrale lawyer on Wednesday and see what we can do, or in other words how much Whiskey do I need to buy.

Please do keep me updated!

😬

@diego.hh

I was also worried about this as we've had our Easter holiday cancelled on Rugen, fortunately for us we have agreed with the landlord to offset the costs we have paid against a future booking.

However before we spoke with him I did find this from the Verbraucherzentrale'

Don't know how good your German is but basically it reads that under German law if your holiday is cancelled due to an entry ban or restricted area then you are entitled to a refund.

Unfortunately though it may involve having to hire a lawyer if the landlord is not going to play ball.

Currently on Rugen holidaymakers are actually being asked to leave as they haven't got the infrastructure to deal with large cases of sick people should the virus take hold on the Island.

53 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

@diego.hh

I was also worried about this as we've had our Easter holiday cancelled on Rugen, fortunately for us we have agreed with the landlord to offset the costs we have paid against a future booking.

However before we spoke with him I did find this from the Verbraucherzentrale'

Don't know how good your German is but basically it reads that under German law if your holiday is cancelled due to an entry ban or restricted area then you are entitled to a refund.

Unfortunately though it may involve having to hire a lawyer if the landlord is not going to play ball.

Currently on Rugen holidaymakers are actually being asked to leave as they haven't got the infrastructure to deal with large cases of sick people should the virus take hold on the Island.

Hey @Sir Percy B thanks for your reply! my German is okay, my wife is German so no issues, we are aware of this article in fact we arrange a call with a lawyer from the Verbraucherzentrale, but we were told that this actually meant for Pauschal-bookings in this case where the Tenant is direct involved, will be difficult. For your entertainment this is the answer of the Tenant

haben Sie keine Reiserücktrittsversicherung, die für solche Fälle einsteht. Das Risiko einer Stornierung trägt der Mieter und nicht der Vermieter. Die Stornobedingungen stehen in den Mietvereinbarungen. Von daher müssten Sie jetzt eigentlich 100% bezahlen. Beste Grüße

As you can see she is not willing to negotiate, I have hope on her wording using “eigentlich”, but it might be just an expression. I will talk with the lawyer on Wednesday, and at least I will as her to refound the Cleaning fees and the Kurtaxe.

To be honest I just don’t think we will achieve much, we will see! Thanks for taking the time to post!

1 hour ago, diego.hh said:

Hey @Sir Percy B thanks for your reply! my German is okay, my wife is German so no issues, we are aware of this article in fact we arrange a call with a lawyer from the Verbraucherzentrale, but we were told that this actually meant for Pauschal-bookings in this case where the Tenant is direct involved, will be difficult. For your entertainment this is the answer of the Tenant

haben Sie keine Reiserücktrittsversicherung, die für solche Fälle einsteht. Das Risiko einer Stornierung trägt der Mieter und nicht der Vermieter. Die Stornobedingungen stehen in den Mietvereinbarungen. Von daher müssten Sie jetzt eigentlich 100% bezahlen. Beste Grüße

As you can see she is not willing to negotiate, I have hope on her wording using “eigentlich”, but it might be just an expression. I will talk with the lawyer on Wednesday, and at least I will as her to refound the Cleaning fees and the Kurtaxe.

To be honest I just don’t think we will achieve much, we will see! Thanks for taking the time to post!

In English, the "tenant" is actually the person renting that place (you) but the person who owns the place and rents it out is the "landlord" or "landlady" or owner if you will.  

So she asks you if you are insured for cancellation which I assume not.  She states that booking and cancelling is at your own risk and that you should read what it states in the contract.  Because she says "eigentlich", you could plead with her to give you a discount and see if she does but it's well possible that she's dependent on the income from the rental and will not be seeing any booking for who knows how long.  I agree she should at least refund the kurtax and cleaning fee but not even sure if she legally has too.  So you have a good reason to cancel because you can't get there but that is not her fault.  It's just an unfortunate situation.

9 minutes ago, LeonG said:

In English, the "tenant" is actually the person renting that place (you) but the person who owns the place and rents it out is the "landlord" or "landlady" or owner if you will.  

So she asks you if you are insured for cancellation which I assume not.  She states that booking and cancelling is at your own risk and that you should read what it states in the contract.  Because she says "eigentlich", you could plead with her to give you a discount and see if she does but it's well possible that she's dependent on the income from the rental and will not be seeing any booking for who knows how long.  I agree she should at least refund the kurtax and cleaning fee but not even sure if she legally has too.  So you have a good reason to cancel because you can't get there but that is not her fault.  It's just an unfortunate situation.

Hi @LeonG Thanks for the correction, yes your assumption is right, I am not insured for cancellation. The reason for the cancellation is that I am not allowed to enter the island, actually I still would love to go there. I don’t know if she is dependent on the income, the landlady is and architect and has a studio with his husband in Hamburg in front of the Alster, It looks like they own some other houses in Fehmarn, but hey… who knows.

I agree with you that this is an unfortunate situation, basically the cancellation policy says 50 % if you cancel 15 days before, I did contact her on the 15th (13 days before the arrival) because I saw in the news, that I was not going to be able to get there.

As I mentioned before I am not having any expectations, and also sure that she is not legally obliged to do a refund, I will wait for the legal advice on Wednesday and hope that I can at least get something back I will take any offer, something that strange is that Fewo-direkt stated, is that there is no invoice or contract between the landlady and me, I have an invoice for the Fewo-direkt services for 182,07 Eur.

47 minutes ago, diego.hh said:

I agree with you that this is an unfortunate situation, basically the cancellation policy says 50 % if you cancel 15 days before, I did contact her on the 15th (13 days before the arrival) because I saw in the news, that I was not going to be able to get there.

As I mentioned before I am not having any expectations, and also sure that she is not legally obliged to do a refund, I will wait for the legal advice on Wednesday and hope that I can at least get something back I will take any offer, something that strange is that Fewo-direkt stated, is that there is no invoice or contract between the landlady and me, I have an invoice for the Fewo-direkt services for 182,07 Eur.

So if you had wanted to cancel, you would have had to do it through Fewo directly.  You were unlucky that they didn't announce a couple of days sooner that you can't get there.  In that case, you could have managed to cancel in time.

On 3/15/2020, 10:44:21, lisa13 said:

That's great if you can get out of the country you've been visiting.

I know someone with family in this very situation.  It's not a joke.  France had to negotiate special conditions to fly to Morocco to pick their people up and take them back so hopefully Germany does something similar.

Germany has announced that efforts will be made to repatriate citizens who are stranded outside the country.  Morocco was specifically called out.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germany-initiates-emergency-plan-to-fly-back-stranded-tourists/a-52803474

thanks @Space Cowboy

would have been nice if they'd offered info on who to contact if you're stranded.  I have been encouraging my friends to harass the local German consulate but so far it does not seem fruitful.  Note I have no idea what happened with them since yesterday.

@lisa13

Details here:-  https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/ReiseUndSicherheit/covid-19/2296762

First and foremost, a number of countries will be particularly affected, starting with Morocco, the Dominican Republic, Egypt, the Maldives and the Philippines. Travellers in these and all other countries should first obtain information on travel and security advice, contact their tour operator or airline and register on the crisis prevention list (www.diplo.de/elefand).

thanks @pappnase - I found that just after I posted and passed it on.  

my first attempt to reach the site was met with "closed for maintenance", I got it to load once, now it's simply returning "site unavailable"

likewise, they have been trying to reach the consulate and federal foreign office by phone but they can't get through.  it's not great.

eta:  a core problem is that they didn't book via a travel agency so their flights were not part of a package.  Of course the airline tells them to piss off as they are not flying to morocco anymore :/

Just wanted to update about my holiday (Pauschale) booked for 22nd March in Egypt. We have made the obvious choice not to go but it is still not clear if we will get any money back. To date we have not cancelled and the travel company are saying they will only guarantee a refund if they cancel but if we cancel, more than 48 hours before the scheduled flight, they will "consider" a good will refund. If we do not cancel 48 hours in advance or simply and do not turn up for the flight then that will be detrimental to any free will refund.

Any advice much appreciated.

11 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Just wanted to update about my holiday (Pauschale) booked for 22nd March in Egypt. We have made the obvious choice not to go but it is still not clear if we will get any money back. To date we have not cancelled and the travel company are saying they will only guarantee a refund if they cancel

They are playing chicken with you. The borders are closed, they have to cancel.

14 minutes ago, keith2011 said:

Just wanted to update about my holiday (Pauschale) booked for 22nd March in Egypt. We have made the obvious choice not to go but it is still not clear if we will get any money back. To date we have not cancelled and the travel company are saying they will only guarantee a refund if they cancel but if we cancel, more than 48 hours before the scheduled flight, they will "consider" a good will refund. If we do not cancel 48 hours in advance or simply and do not turn up for the flight then that will be detrimental to any free will refund.

Any advice much appreciated.

They will "consider" it and say no.   They will have to cancel it, I assume.

@diego.hh: why don't you offer her 500€ so the loss is a little distributed between you two?

Do you plan to visit fehmarn next year? Possibly she could give you a lower rate than.

I think, it is always good to be on good terms with everyone ( except the boss od Ryanair)

We planned a long weekend in Hamburg end of March.

I had the choice to book a room for 600€ and pay immediately or 700€ with the possibility to cancel.

Luckily I choose the more expensive option. The same with the train tickets.

Now I still have three days holiday left (have to take it 'til the end of March) which I can't really use,

and my company sent me home to do home office (still without VPN connection) sinse I am the oldest

guy in the team and they don't want to risk my life.

However, I also offered to take unpaid leave - as long as it takes.