Cancel holiday over corona virus?

387 posts in this topic

I can't help being so relieved that the tenants of my Eastbourne flat chose to cancel the tenancy when they did, end February. The state agent quickly found a new tanant who moved in on the 27th. We -- I and my two kids -- went over to the UK to check on the flat, do some repairs, rewire the whole place, clear out the garage, etc.

We returned on the 27th. After that day all hell broke loose and it would not have been possible to do anything, go anywhere.

I and my son had actually planned to drive back to pick up some furniture end of this month but that has been postponed indefinitely. 

22 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I just cancelled my airbnb. I guess I won't be doing any travelling outside Ireland this year.

Now there's just my South Ireland tour in August to think about. A friend plans to fly over from Germany but I imagine she will cancel so I will too. What a shame.

Eta: Getting a full refund btw. Airbnb have a special ruling now that you can cancel because of COVID 19 for a full refund.

Got a couple of friends that do Airbnb and they all said bookings have dried up completely. 

Wonder what's going to happen when millions of small business can't pay the rent mortgage!

I felt really sorry for my bnb host and explained and apologised, told him I'll come next year if  possible. He replied to say no problem.

We were scheduled to go to Langeland (Danish Ostsee) with the camper van from 21 March to 03 April. That has obviously fallen by the wayside, and we'll count ourselves lucky if our respective employers allow us to cancel the vacation days, as we can certainly think of a better time to use them.

I was also planning to visit West Michigan in the second half of June, and have cancelled that as well. Thank goodness I had not booked any flights yet, so am spared that headache.

5 minutes ago, the.frollein said:

we'll count ourselves lucky if our respective employers allow us to cancel the vacation days, as we can certainly think of a better time to use them.

My employer has already made the decision that approved vacation has to be taken and will not let people cancel the vacation time.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

My employer has already made the decision that approved vacation has to be taken and will not let people cancel the vacation time.

Sucks or?

Mine is taking me for a ride to MINUS hours! 

2 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Wonder what's going to happen when millions of small business can't pay the rent mortgage!

They'll lose their preferred, semi-legal method of living beyond their means and will stop distorting housing markets in heavily touristic areas?

We are due to go to Turkey at end of JUly for 2 weeks. Its a large gathering of family.

Havent booked yet. Think prices will go down, considerably? 

20 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

We are due to go to Turkey at end of JUly for 2 weeks. Its a large gathering of family.

I think July will be much worse than it is today, with even more travel bans. Just a guess, though.

First of all sorry for my English, I am not native speaker.

We booked a house in Fehmarn for 2 families a week March 28th - April 4th (1800 EUR). Yesterday we saw in the news that all the islands are closed from today, so basically you are not able to get in the island. We contacted the tenant in order ask for a refund as we are not allowed to travel there.

Basically de answer was…well you should have taken an insurance on order to be covered for this kind of situations. We also contacted the company Fewo-Direkt, and of course they are also not able to help, they say it is up to the tenant to refund the money.

I know that I might not be legally entitled to a refund because of the AGB and whatever, but… I can understand why would the tenant keep the money and take advantage of the situation? I have contacted the verbraucherzentrale, I have an appointment with them, but I was told that it will be difficult or impossible to get the money back.

I also contacted my bank and they say that I can do “reklamtation”, if fewo-direkt refuses to help, but I am not sure of the implications of starting the process I am already sure that I am not entitled to.

Do you guy have any ideas?

5 minutes ago, diego.hh said:

First of all sorry for my English, I am not native speaker.

We booked a house in Fehmarn for 2 families a week March 28th - April 4th (1800 EUR). Yesterday we saw in the news that all the islands are closed from today, so basically you are not able to get in the island. We contacted the tenant in order ask for a refund as we are not allowed to travel there.

Basically de answer was…well you should have taken an insurance on order to be covered for this kind of situations. We also contacted the company Fewo-Direkt, and of course they are also not able to help, they say it is up to the tenant to refund the money.

I know that I might not be legally entitled to a refund because of the AGB and whatever, but… I can understand why would the tenant keep the money and take advantage of the situation? I have contacted the verbraucherzentrale, I have an appointment with them, but I was told that it will be difficult or impossible to get the money back.

I also contacted my bank and they say that I can do “reklamtation”, if fewo-direkt refuses to help, but I am not sure of the implications of starting the process I am already sure that I am not entitled to.

Do you guy have any ideas?

We are many in the same situation :(

I would say keep trying but if the owners were willing to negotiate they would have already told you that in your last email. 

Eurowings also not willing to refund and hotel either in Ibiza

1 hour ago, oscar 63 said:

If you can get a decent price then go ahead and book now as no-one knows what will happen. The general consensus among the medical people is that the warm weather will bring the spread of the virus to a halt but who knows? Maybe with that and the closing of bars, clubs, etc, in 4 weeks time we will be over the worst of things and the reported cases will gradually reduce but no-one can say for sure.

Whenever you do decide to book it's probably best to make sure you can cancel and get a refund just in case.

The way I see it, flights will get cheaper, there will be price-gouging or there will be no flights. Hard to predict. These are exceptional times.

Looks like Bavaria has gone into lockdown, basically everything is shut except food supplies.

Gonna be a sucky few weeks to come.

7 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The way I see it, flights will get cheaper, there will be price-gouging or there will be no flights. Hard to predict. These are exceptional times.

Back home the local airlines have very low prices with open dates for the whole 2020.   Still very risky for the consumer but I understand they are fighting bankruptcy right now.

At some point the question: "Is this all really necessary?" is going to gain traction. That, and: "It´s just a flu!" And no matter how you try to explain that this could be quite deadly if not containd they are not going to believe it.

For those of us doing our best to isolate at home and only going out for daily walks in uncrowded places, traveling seems crazy. Unless, of course, people are trying to get home.

Traveling and pandemic just don't go together, IMO.

I keep thinking of Aiden, my car mechanic in New York City. It can't be much of a holiday with everything in lockdown. I just hope he gets back safely on Friday. It was crazy to travel, but the situation then was still ambiguous. 

1 hour ago, atinherne said:

I would say keep trying but if the owners were willing to negotiate they would have already told you that in your last email. 

1 hour ago, atinherne said:

In the case of big corporation like Eurowings it is of course IMHO, more difficult, but renting directly like Fewo-direkt does, I even have to pay Reinigungsgebühr 150 Eur and Stay tax 98.00 Eur. It is unreal, I could cry! Anyways I am sure that If had an insurance then it will have an exception for a virus pandemic.