Cancel holiday over corona virus?

345 posts in this topic

I was planning a trip to Malta in April but all Ryanair and easyjet flights are cancelled.

1 hour ago, syedalisajjad said:

Guys don't cancel your flights if they are non-refundable. I was about to cancel my flight to London but meanwhile it was cancelled by British Airways and i got a full refund. Just wait, maybe the Airline cancels the flight themselves...

Wow, that is a surprise, did they give a reason for the cancellation, corona virus? Which airport were you travelling from? I have a flight booked to London in May but I guess they won't cancel that till much closer to the date.

I still have no idea if my holiday in Egypt will go ahead or not, I really can't afford to loose the cost of it but Egypt is not the place I would choose to be seriously ill or quarantined. :(

2 hours ago, syedalisajjad said:

Guys don't cancel your flights if they are non-refundable. I was about to cancel my flight to London but meanwhile it was cancelled by British Airways and i got a full refund. Just wait, maybe the Airline cancels the flight themselves...

Thanks for posting this.  Right now my only option is to cancel with no refund, but if there is a flight cancellation I will be in much better shape.  So, I will wait.

1 hour ago, keith2011 said:

Wow, that is a surprise, did they give a reason for the cancellation, corona virus? Which airport were you travelling from? I have a flight booked to London in May but I guess they won't cancel that till much closer to the date.

I still have no idea if my holiday in Egypt will go ahead or not, I really can't afford to loose the cost of it but Egypt is not the place I would choose to be seriously ill or quarantined. :(

no, they didn't mention any reasons. Gave me a choice to re-book or refund and I went for a refund...my flight was scheduled for April 4, 2020 from Stuttgart to Heathrow

23 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks for posting this.  Right now my only option is to cancel with no refund, but if there is a flight cancellation I will be in much better shape.  So, I will wait.

yes, definitely you should wait...hopefully the situation gets better or maybe the flight gets cancelled...i also had tickets booked for eurostar from London to Paris with no refund...but i didn't cancel and would wait...maybe the train gets cancelled...if it doesn't i would still lose 158 Euros whether i cancel or don't travel...at least, i won't let eurostar sell those tickets to someone else because i cancelled :)  

5 hours ago, slammer said:

I was planning a trip to Malta in April but all Ryanair and easyjet flights are cancelled.

Doesn't anybody on this thead realise that the world is going through a crisis which is affecting everybody and is not

a temporary nuisance which is designed to frustrate their personal holiday arrangements?

It doesn't matter how dangerous this virus really is, but it is important how world leaders are reacting.

Just stay at home and find something else interesting to occupy your valuable first world time.

1 hour ago, Acton said:

Doesn't anybody on this thead realise that the world is going through a crisis which is affecting everybody and is not

a temporary nuisance which is designed to frustrate their personal holiday arrangements?

It doesn't matter how dangerous this virus really is, but it is important how world leaders are reacting.

Just stay at home and find something else interesting to occupy your valuable first world time.

I do.. I post crap on TT and you?

What you don´t know is that I lived on Malta and consider it home, I also have some things there that I need to take care of, your move.

On 11.3.2020, 15:37:56, lisa13 said:

why do you care what other people are doing?

Indeed, why have forums like this at all? :wacko:

17 hours ago, Acton said:

I don't think you realise that everyone's view of state of the world is dependant on their own circumstances. Having to cancel a holiday and loosing hard earned cash may seem trivial to you but will be a personal crisis for me! That does not reduce my concerns about what is going on at present, in fact it brings it home to me.

1 hour ago, silty1 said:

Indeed, why have forums like this at all? :wacko:

sure - that's what I meant of course.  screw it.  shut it down

hyperbolize much?

I have trips planned to the UK in May and June. Luckily I've not booked the flights yet, but have Airbnb and one hotel night booked, but I think I have a date I can cancel by for a full refund. I'd also planned an overland return trip Ireland UK early April to fetch some stored furniture but that is definitely not in. Nothing was booked.

I'm sorry for my daughter and her best friend. Best friend has a wedding planned for end March, in the UK. My daughter is bridesmaid, as best friend was for her wedding. Big day! Daughter and husband have booked flights from Dublin, and plan to travel. 

I'm secretly hoping the airline will cancel the flight so that the decision is taken from her. It's definitely a quandary.

I've a bus trip through southern Ireland booked for August, and a German friend id flying over to come with me. Hopefully by then things will be clearer.

6 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I have trips planned to the UK in May and June. Luckily I've not booked the flights yet, but have Airbnb and one hotel night booked, but I think I have a date I can cancel by for a full refund. 

I have never done the AirBnB or house swapping, and I don't know how these types of businesses will survive the COVID crisis.

As expected it was not a matter of you canceling your holidays but instead holidays canceling you.

On 3/12/2020, 11:13:02, Space Cowboy said:

Gotcha.

I am flying on BA, but I think the particular airline choice won't matter.

The US Department of Homeland Security announced they would publish guidelines / rules for travel from Europe to the US by this coming Friday night (our time).  I suspect that the airlines are waiting for the official guidance before they do anything other than what they've already been doing.

As of today, the airline website only lists the previous country restrictions (China, Italy, etc.) when it comes to eligiblity for refunds or the like.  I will probably have to wait until the weekend or early next week before I have a better idea what I can expect, and what my options might be.

The airline updated their website last night (I am flying BA, but bought my tickets through AA).  The policy is: no refunds.  Instead, AA will sit on everyone's money.

AA is waiving change fees for rebooked flights once, but any difference in airfare must be paid.

My next opportunity to go on my trip is June, so I can rebook for then and pay only the fare difference (or lose money if the ticket price is lower).  If June turns out to not be possible, then rebooking would involve paying a change fee, and (again) the fare difference.

My scheduled day of departure is 23 March.  I am going to wait until the last possible moment, in case BA decides to cancel any of the segments.  In that situation, I may be able to get a refund.

On another note:  since I live in Mainz, I am right on the primary flight path for FRA.  I am used to a constant stream of aircraft overhead.

I can see directly the impact that the Coronavirus is having on commercial air travel - the skies are nearly empty.  It's not quite to the level of post-9/11 in the US, but it's getting there.

37 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

On another note:  since I live in Mainz, I am right on the primary flight path for FRA.  I am used to a constant stream of aircraft overhead.

I can see directly the impact that the Coronavirus is having on commercial air travel - the skies are nearly empty.  It's not quite to the level of post-9/11 in the US, but it's getting there.

One little known side effect of the airtraffic shutdown after 9/11 was that the global temperature rose by almost a degree. It seems that the condensation from airtravel increases earths albedo significantly.

14 minutes ago, slammer said:

One little known side effect of the airtraffic shutdown after 9/11 was that the global temperature rose by almost a degree. It seems that the condensation from airtravel increases earths albedo significantly.

Are you really sure about that? I understood that there was a measurable decrease in average night time temperature during the 9/11 air traffic shutdown as a result of increased heat radiation (out into space) through clearer skies.

On 3/12/2020, 10:30:32, Boethius said:

For those flying to the States and you're not having any symptoms, fly into Dublin and go through the US Preclearance Facility at the airport in Dublin.  It is similar to that of a US domestic flight when you land.  No passport control.

BBC News is now reporting that the US travel ban for Europe will be extended to the UK and Ireland.

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

As expected it was not a matter of you canceling your holidays but instead holidays canceling you.

I wished mine would have done that.  I'm certain that I would have got to Mallorca yesterday but apparently SpaIn is restricting movement (one cannot be certain what is fact & what is media extrapolation).  A vacation that comprised daily coach tours to various parts of the island isn't going to be a success if movement is restricted!

I was probably lucky to get to Budapest & back a week ago.

3 hours ago, keith2011 said:

Are you really sure about that? I understood that there was a measurable decrease in average night time temperature during the 9/11 air traffic shutdown as a result of increased heat radiation (out into space) through clearer skies.

A climate scientist took the moment to travel around the US (by car) and take measurements. I can´t find the original white paper but here is something from CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2002/TECH/science/08/07/contrails.climate/index.html