Cancel holiday over corona virus?

353 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, willowhands said:

Yeah I am Not Happy about this right now. But I’m pretty sure it’s the right decision. 

Will you still take this time off or back to work? 

We will  be loosing over 2000 eu 😨

8 minutes ago, atinherne said:

Will you still take this time off or back to work? 

We will  be loosing over 2000 eu 😨

I’m freelance so I’m screwed either way 

23 minutes ago, willowhands said:

I’m freelance so I’m screwed either way 

Ok that makes it worst 🙄😭

am sorry! Mean it...

6 hours ago, atinherne said:

So you will then cancel? 

Have just done so - having been under constant pressure from family members  :(

Most of the paid fees lost.

1 hour ago, willowhands said:

So I decided not to go. I’d rather lose the money and be at home than be stuck and/or ill far away from home all on my own

Thats the main reasoning.  My ex-vacation probably came a week too soon - I suspect there will be a big shutdown next week in Europe.

So sorry, HEM. I know how much you and the wife were looking forward to it. We got there and back just in time. Don't worry, we ate enough good food and drank enough wine to cover you two. :D

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

So sorry, HEM. I know how much you and the wife were looking forward to it. We got there and back just in time. Don't worry, we ate enough good food and drank enough wine to cover you two. :D

Thanks - actually I was to go on my own (the wife claims not to like Mallorca).

Not only Expedia has high call rates.  I treid to phone Lufthansa this morning to get their take on the situation with flights but got a short message that all phones were more than full & that one should change flights via the web.  But that doesn't work (at least in my case) for flights booked via a "Veranstalter".

9 minutes ago, HEM said:

Have just done so - having been under constant pressure from family members  :(

Most of the paid fees lost.

Thats the main reasoning.  My ex-vacation probably came a week too soon - I suspect there will be a big shutdown next week in Europe.

Do you guys still get to do something around where you live? Or back to work? 

My boss is demandind i do not go on my holiday! 😫

7 minutes ago, HEM said:

Thanks - actually I was to go on my own (the wife claims not to like Mallorca).

Not only Expedia has high call rates.  I treid to phone Lufthansa this morning to get their take on the situation with flights but got a short message that all phones were more than full & that one should change flights via the web.  But that doesn't work (at least in my case) for flights booked via a "Veranstalter".

I have been in contact with expedia via fb messanger, they are actually replying there!. Have you tried?

10 minutes ago, atinherne said:

Do you guys still get to do something around where you live? Or back to work? 

My boss is demandind i do not go on my holiday! 😫

Officially I am retired - in reality I'm doing pretty much full-time voluntary work for the sport of gliding.

9 minutes ago, atinherne said:

I have been in contact with expedia via fb messanger, they are actually replying there!. Have you tried?

Expedia is not involved in my case.

5 minutes ago, HEM said:

Officially I am retired - in reality I'm doing pretty much full-time voluntary work for the sport of gliding.

Expedia is not involved in my case.

Ahhhhhh ok! 

😀

Airlines are flying ghost flights to keep their landing slots. I wonder if this means they are also selling tickets on those flights. If so, and if they feel they still need to keep their landing slots, at least in the short term, then I figure there will be a few here and there, and that tickets might go for cheap.

34 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Airlines are flying ghost flights to keep their landing slots.

Who's going to take their slots?

17 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Airlines are flying ghost flights to keep their landing slots.

Reference?

I was talking to a long-retired Lufthansa captain last weekend & he was saying this his son who is an LH captain on A330 & A340-600 is basically sitting at home as all his destinations have been struck off - so hes not even flying empty planes!

Guys don't cancel your flights if they are non-refundable. I was about to cancel my flight to London but meanwhile it was cancelled by British Airways and i got a full refund. Just wait, maybe the Airline cancels the flight themselves...

15 hours ago, HEM said:

Reference?

I was talking to a long-retired Lufthansa captain last weekend & he was saying this his son who is an LH captain on A330 & A340-600 is basically sitting at home as all his destinations have been struck off - so hes not even flying empty planes!

It's mentioned at https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51809318

Under international guidelines, which are enshrined in European law, take-off and landing slots at these airports are limited.

In the UK, the rules apply to Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Manchester, London Luton and London City.

Slots are granted according to historical rights at these airports. If, for example, a carrier operated a particular schedule through the summer season last year, it retains the right to those same slots this summer.

But there is a catch. Under the "use it or lose it" rule, slots have to be used at least 80% of the time. If an airline fails to reach that threshold, the slots are put back into a pool and allocated to other carriers.

Although they are technically granted for free, there is a thriving secondary market on which the most desirable slots can change hands for significant sums - tens of millions of pounds across a season. So airlines are very reluctant to lose them

4 minutes ago, syedalisajjad said:

Guys don't cancel your flights if they are non-refundable. I was about to cancel my flight to London but meanwhile it was cancelled by British Airways and i got a full refund. Just wait, maybe the Airline cancels the flight themselves...

Yep, this is worth checking. My trip to Japan in April is looking less likely mainly because there will probably be an explosion of cases here in DE in the next couple of weeks and Japan may put restrictions on flights from Germany. A couple of the visitor sites that I was planning to see have been closed in Japan but I was still thinking about going but now will probably not. At the moment Japan Airlines are refunding all tickets regardless of fare rules for flights up to 5th April and my flight is on the 7th and I can see that date increasing to the end of April or maybe even longer as the cases here rise.

15 minutes ago, syedalisajjad said:

Thanks for the heads up!

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

can't they take action to suspect this rule - maybe "freeze" the slots - until things get back to some semblance of normal?

ffs the priorities just get weirder

The IATA is lobbying heavily for this step - suspending the use-it-or-lose-it rule.