Cancel holiday over corona virus?

380 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Boethius said:

Fortunately or not the position of the German government is having an open-door policy.  

For those flying to the States and you're not having any symptoms, fly into Dublin and go through the US Preclearance Facility at the airport in Dublin.  It is similar to that of a US domestic flight when you land.  No passport control.

If you are thinking this a way to "mask" your origin point, it is unlikely to work.

The US uses a system called APIS.  Prior to your flight, the airlines must transmit your information and itinerary to the US.  This includes origin flights.  So, if you are flying from the Schengen area, that will be included in the itinerary, no matter how many intermediate stops you might make.

In addition, your passport is scanned when you leave Germany, and this information is available to US CBP.

2 hours ago, atinherne said:

😮😬

i tried to cancel will not get a cent back!

oh well 

My airline already offered a refund or a later flight but it's a different situation because the flight I'm on is cancelled.

Yeah, I am not worried about getting there.  I am also not worried about Germany not letting me back in - if I can get back.

My two concerns are:

- Possible future "mandatory" quarantine upon arrival in the US, even for US citizens and residents.

- The strong possibility that flights back to Germany from the US will be severely reduced or eliminated for some period of time.

I am only supposed to be there for a week.  If I'm quarantined, I miss my return.  If there are no available flights back for some period of time, I will have a huge problem with no solution.

At this point it is all "if". 

7 minutes ago, LeonG said:

My airline already offered a refund or a later flight but it's a different situation because the flight I'm on is cancelled.

I am on eurowings since I booked with expedia they dont want to refund or change dates. 🙄

Just now, atinherne said:

I am on eurowings since I booked with expedia they dont want to refund or change dates. 🙄

My friends actually booked my flight through opodo but the airline already contacted them and offered that they could deal with them directly.  It's a Chinese airline called Hainan Air.

However, the Chinese now have a new policy, mandatory quarantine for all arrivals for 14 days.  They knew some people who just arrived and they were supposed to get locked up in a hotel for two weeks but through intervention from the embassy they were allowed to go home with strict instructions not to leave the home.  Security cameras were even installed to make sure they stay there.

we have a trip on the ferry in May to Hull and I just got an emai from P&O saying that the boarding time has been put  forward by 2 hours,I have a feeling they are or will start screening/temperature testing ,I have insurance on the fee (600 or so euros) and am wondering if the trip/boat is cancelled if I can claim this back?

12 minutes ago, Boethius said:

My point is that Lufthansa may start canceling flights to the states.  It isn't about masking your country of departure.  

Gotcha.

I am flying on BA, but I think the particular airline choice won't matter.

The US Department of Homeland Security announced they would publish guidelines / rules for travel from Europe to the US by this coming Friday night (our time).  I suspect that the airlines are waiting for the official guidance before they do anything other than what they've already been doing.

As of today, the airline website only lists the previous country restrictions (China, Italy, etc.) when it comes to eligiblity for refunds or the like.  I will probably have to wait until the weekend or early next week before I have a better idea what I can expect, and what my options might be.

28 minutes ago, Boethius said:

My point is that Lufthansa may start canceling flights to the states.

I would be certain of that.

US news outlets are now reporting that the DHS guidelines are expected to include a mandatory quarantine upon arrival, even for US citizens and residents.

If this is indeed the case, it seems my only option is to postpone / cancel my trip.  Now I have to wait and see what the airline will allow me to do.

Family members of US citizens and permanent residents are also allowed back (spouse, siblings under 21 and unmarried, parents, kids), plus other exceptions: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspension-entry-immigrants-nonimmigrants-certain-additional-persons-pose-risk-transmitting-2019-novel-coronavirus/

We have parental leave in April and May... wanted to go to Japan mostly, with a few days in South India and Bali... now we might go to New Zealand and Oz, if allowed. Worst case we put away one month for quarantine time? I don't know.

TBH, all those countries currently report much fewer cases than where we are, so it might actually be better for us statistically, and for them too if we make sure to get checked before leaving. We planned on mostly caravaning so we would be isolated mostly.

Haven't booked ANYTHING, but still tracking prices which are pretty good, and also of course, whether Germany will soon be blacklisted :-/

Just received this -

Dear Expedia Traveler,
We know many of you are trying to contact us to find out more about adjusting your travel plans due to the situation with COVID-19, and we are deeply sorry for the delays. We are clearly facing extreme call volumes at this time, and wish we could respond to everyone immediately. Please know that we are working as fast as we can to update our site with options that allow you to manage your itinerary directly, as well as re-deploying Travel Advisors from other parts of the business in an effort to assist those who are calling in.
The quickest way to find out if your travel plans can be changed without a penalty will be to check the airline or hotel website directly; please verify with your provider first before contacting Expedia. As always, Expedia follows the policies of our partners, which means that any credit, refund or change will be at the discretion of the airline, hotel, cruise line or other travel provider.
If your travel plans do not currently fall under a flexible change policy or are not scheduled to begin within the next 7 days, we ask that you please delay your call to our customer service until your trip becomes eligible or you are within 7 days of your trip start date, so we can help those with more imminent travel first.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during these difficult times. We will continue to do our best to serve you and do whatever we can to help you travel with better peace of mind. For more information, please visit our Customer Service Portal.
Sincerely,
The Expedia Travel Team

So I decided not to go. I’d rather lose the money and be at home than be stuck and/or ill far away from home all on my own and/or be carrying the virus unknowingly into a country with so far no cases. 

24 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Just received this -

Dear Expedia Traveler,
We know many of you are trying to contact us to find out more about adjusting your travel plans due to the situation with COVID-19, and we are deeply sorry for the delays. We are clearly facing extreme call volumes at this time, and wish we could respond to everyone immediately. Please know that we are working as fast as we can to update our site with options that allow you to manage your itinerary directly, as well as re-deploying Travel Advisors from other parts of the business in an effort to assist those who are calling in.
The quickest way to find out if your travel plans can be changed without a penalty will be to check the airline or hotel website directly; please verify with your provider first before contacting Expedia. As always, Expedia follows the policies of our partners, which means that any credit, refund or change will be at the discretion of the airline, hotel, cruise line or other travel provider.
If your travel plans do not currently fall under a flexible change policy or are not scheduled to begin within the next 7 days, we ask that you please delay your call to our customer service until your trip becomes eligible or you are within 7 days of your trip start date, so we can help those with more imminent travel first.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during these difficult times. We will continue to do our best to serve you and do whatever we can to help you travel with better peace of mind. For more information, please visit our Customer Service Portal.
Sincerely,
The Expedia Travel Team

I have tried expedia also and follow their instructions but hotel would not deal with me directly and said has to be handle by expedia... expedia calls back saying all they can do is change dates of hotel and it has to be for this year. Loose flight! 

14 minutes ago, willowhands said:

So I decided not to go. I’d rather lose the money and be at home than be stuck and/or ill far away from home all on my own and/or be carrying the virus unknowingly into a country with so far no cases. 

I can only imagine how dissapointed you must be feeling now 😫

8 minutes ago, atinherne said:

I can only imagine how dissapointed you must be feeling now 😫

Yeah I am Not Happy about this right now. But I’m pretty sure it’s the right decision. 

3 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

The strong possibility that flights back to Germany from the US will be severely reduced or eliminated for some period of time.

I was back to the US for 2 weeks on 2/22 on a full flight.  I flew back to Zurich from DC this past Saturday (3/7) on a flight that was less than 1/4 full. I don't see how they can pofitably keep running flights like that.  I was already worried about flight cancellations and was very relieved to get back here.