Cancel holiday over corona virus?

345 posts in this topic

A friend of mine flies with RyanAir quite a bit and he forwarded me an email from them last week, which mentioned that people could reschedule their flight without having to pay any fees and only pay any difference in the cost of flights but there wasn't any mention of a refund anywhere in the email.

50 minutes ago, warsteiner70 said:

A friend of mine flies with RyanAir quite a bit and he forwarded me an email from them last week, which mentioned that people could reschedule their flight without having to pay any fees and only pay any difference in the cost of flights but there wasn't any mention of a refund anywhere in the email.

Let's see how long they get away with that. Concert promoters and the Bundesliga teams are trying the same thing: claiming that the events haven't been canceled, merely rescheduled at some point in the future, to be announced.

That way they get to keep your money for the time being.

Just in case anyone needs to cancel a BA flight.

I had a BA flight booked to London for April 2nd. I was given the option to cancel as BA has rescheduled the return flight but it would be for flight vouchers rather than a refund. I then found a link to this article... https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/19/how-to-trigger-an-online-avios-flight-refund-using-google-chrome/

Using that process I was able to get a cash refund for the whole journey rather than the voucher. If you've booked seats though, you wouldn't get that refunded so maybe the voucher would be better in that scenario. 

46 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Let's see how long they get away with that. Concert promoters and the Bundesliga teams are trying the same thing: claiming that the events haven't been canceled, merely rescheduled at some point in the future, to be announced.

Does that mean people with season cards wont see part of that money back? 😬

39 minutes ago, Tallicame said:

Just in case anyone needs to cancel a BA flight.

I had a BA flight booked to London for April 2nd. I was given the option to cancel as BA has rescheduled the return flight but it would be for flight vouchers rather than a refund. I then found a link to this article... https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/19/how-to-trigger-an-online-avios-flight-refund-using-google-chrome/

Using that process I was able to get a cash refund for the whole journey rather than the voucher. If you've booked seats though, you wouldn't get that refunded so maybe the voucher would be better in that scenario. 

Wow!

Someone come up with the eurowings solution 🤭

49 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Yep, but RyanAir have a long history of treating their customers like sh*t and yet people still book with them. Maybe this will end up being their downfall but so long as they can offer flights for 20 euros (or even less) people will probably still fly with them even though they were unable to cancel flights and get refunds.

does anyone have family or friends stranded abroad? We got family there trying to get home from Finland and they said it’s an absolute nightmare

7 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

does anyone have family or friends stranded abroad? We got family there trying to get home from Finland and they said it’s an absolute nightmare

Where is home? Don't know about Denmark, but Germany is letting in Germans heading home and EU foreigners passing through to get home to their countries.

22 hours ago, diego.hh said:

Update 2.

This was only possible because Schleswig Holstein is closed for tourist, and you cannot rent a place if your tenants are not able to access.

Which was exactly what I posted in my first post.

Falls Sie Ihr Ziel nicht erreichen können, zum Beispiel wegen eines Einreisestopps oder eines Sperrgebiets, können Sie auch einzeln gebuchte Leistungen, wie zum Beispiel Hotels, stornieren und bekommen Ihr Geld zurück. Zumindest wenn für die Buchung deutsches Recht gilt.

For people who have flights booked to Germany with Ryanair and are not a citizen of the Schengen region of Europe, you are all entitled to a refund off Ryanair as the German government have banned anyone outside of this region flying in 

49 minutes ago, CiaraDoran said:

For people who have flights booked to Germany with Ryanair and are not a citizen of the Schengen region of Europe, you are all entitled to a refund off Ryanair as the German government have banned anyone outside of this region flying in 

Again, does that include permanent residents of Germany?

Kid#2 and his Dad are booked on a Monday afternoon flight from LHR to HAJ and we will see.

Kid#1 has elected to stay, which I think is an OK decision.

Kid#2 is German, Paps is a Brit. Who knows? 

On 3/18/2020, 11:42:39, arunadasi said:

We often order takeaway from an excellent Indian restaurant here. My son is friends with the owner and we get a full meal for two for €10. The restaurant is very popular, always bustling, so I can imagine they'll switch to mainly takeaway. Last time I popped in to order (next time I'll order over the phone), which was last Saturday, many tables were occupied and the waiters seemed as busy as ever. I think they also do deliveries.

I heard that starting tomorrow all restaurants have to close at noon, any idea if takeaway is still allowed?

32 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

I heard that starting tomorrow all restaurants have to close at noon, any idea if takeaway is still allowed?

Yes, they say even if the dining rooms are shut down completely, takeout and delivery will still be possible.

On 3/13/2020, 11:10:55, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks for posting this.  Right now my only option is to cancel with no refund, but if there is a flight cancellation I will be in much better shape.  So, I will wait.

Well, waiting paid off - for real.  My flights were scheduled to depart Monday morning.  Today, BA canceled my entire itinerary.  I had to call AA (which issued the ticket), but I was on hold only about 24 minutes, unlike some of the endless wait times I had read about earlier in the week.

I am getting a full refund.

16 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Well, waiting paid off - for real.  My flights were scheduled to depart Monday morning.  Today, BA canceled my entire itinerary.  I had to call AA (which issued the ticket), but I was on hold only about 24 minutes, unlike some of the endless wait times I had read about earlier in the week.

I am getting a full refund.

Thats amazing!

i still cant get expedia to answer my calls! 😬

54 minutes ago, atinherne said:

Thats amazing!

i still cant get expedia to answer my calls! 😬

My flight to China was cancelled by the airline and the airline says they will refund it but has to go through opodo because my friend booked through them. He can not reach opodo. Nobody answering and they don't officially have an email address. He found one though and tried emailing but they didn't get back yet.

8 minutes ago, LeonG said:

My flight to China was cancelled by the airline and the airline says they will refund it but has to go through opodo because my friend booked through them. He can not reach opodo. Nobody answering and they don't officially have an email address. He found one though and tried emailing but they didn't get back yet.

Opodo is terrible for responding. I had some issue with them recently and they kept me waiting for ages and didn't help at all. Good luck.

37 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Yes we are on the same boat!

I would say they are overwhelmed... understandable- and we are too frustrated! 😭

Ok an update and it came just this last few secs!

expedia just sent an email hotel has been Cancelled and we will get a full refund.

Our reservartion was NON refundable btw!. This is the first time we book non ref. Wont do it again even if we have to pay a bit more 😬

kudos to expedia!