Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Trying to find the right unemployment office in Berlin

8 posts in this topic

Okay so I have been working for years in Frankfurt am Main but I have been trying to get to Berlin for the last couple years. I finally realized that I was not going to be able to find work in Berlin while still living in Frankfurt. It is simply too difficult and expensive to keep traveling up to Berlin for interviews. So I found an apartment in Berlin and quit my job in Frankfurt and moved here.

I have found a temp agency here that has lots of work and assures me that they can find me something quite quickly but they told me that they normally deal with people who are registered unemployed. My problem is that I cannot seem to find which office I am supposed to go to register as unemployed. Can anyone advise me? I am living in an apartment near Prinzenstraße U-bahn station.

Just to avoid all the unnecessary replies I will get, I am already fully aware that signing on in Berlin can take a long time. I also know what I need to bring with me to the unemployment office. All I need to know is which office I need to go to start the process. Also, I really do not need people's opinions about signing on in Germany. I am just looking for the office location. I am sorry if this makes me sound rude or abrupt, I have just found in the past that when you ask something on Toytown, you get fifty replies from people that have little or nothing to do with what you actually asked.

Anyone know which office I need to go to?

8 minutes ago, LostManAbroad said:

I have found a temp agency here that has lots of work and assures me that they can find me something quite quickly but they told me that they normally deal with people who are registered unemployed.

I know you asked for "helpful answers only", but this part sounds like bullshit. If their business model revolves around collecting placement subsidies for the unemployed from the Arbeitsagentur, rather than getting booking fees from their (business) customers, I wouldn't place any value in any of their assurances.

Now, to answer your question, as a resident of (Friedrichshain-)Kreuzberg, you need to go to the Arbeitsagentur Mitte.

Good luck.

Thank you for the information. Your concerns about their business model is exactly the same concern that both my brother and a few other people have voiced. I still want to sign on just as a precaution to not being able to find a job quickly and I am definitely focusing more on trying to find work directly through schools and organizations that help children with learning disabilities rather than rely on this agency for work.

Once again, thanks.

19 minutes ago, LostManAbroad said:

I am definitely focusing more on trying to find work directly through schools and organizations that help children with learning disabilities rather than rely on this agency for work.

What formal qualifications do you have? How well do you speak German?

I do speak German. As for my formal qualifications, I have an NVQ 3 in Health and Social Care from England which my last employer was able to discover is the equivalent to Qualifizierte Fachkraft but I have not found any organization here that can formally recognize it.

I have also been working in German junior schools for the last 6 years and in social care since 2006. I am finding that experience means far less in Germany than it does in England. Here, it seems, if you don't have the piece of paper that says you can do it, then you can't do it.

4 hours ago, LostManAbroad said:

I have an NVQ 3 in Health and Social Care from England which my last employer was able to discover is the equivalent to Qualifizierte Fachkraft

What type of Fachkraft? Pflegekraft?

but I have not found any organization here that can formally recognize it.

I still haven't quite understood exactly what you do and if it would fall under Pflege or Bildung (you need to know the approximate German equivalent in order to know where to apply for the Anerkennung).

I am finding that experience means far less in Germany than it does in England. Here, it seems, if you don't have the piece of paper that says you can do it, then you can't do it.

Welcome to Germany <_<

8 hours ago, LostManAbroad said:

Here, it seems, if you don't have the piece of paper that says you can do it, then you can't do it

and, sometimes even more flummoxing is that if the bit of paper says you can, then even in the face of much evidence to the contrary, then you can. German Beamter....

If you are still looking for a job:

Hilfe in Corona-Zeiten: Persönliche Assistenz für Menschen mit Behinderungen gesucht

Pressemitteilung vom 25.03.2020

Die Senatsverwaltung für Integration, Arbeit und Soziales teilt mit:

In der Persönlichen Assistenz suchen Menschen mit Behinderung zurzeit dringend Unterstützung, um auch in dieser angespannten Situation selbstbestimmt leben zu können.

Die Persönliche Assistenz umfasst die Pflege und Freizeitgestaltung in und außer Haus, Unterstützung im Haushalt, bei der Arbeit und/oder bei der Kommunikation. Der Stundenlohn beträgt 13,16 € brutto (Anfangsgehalt). Hinzu kommen Zuschläge für Nacht-, Sonn- und Feiertagsdienste. Die Persönliche Assistenz sollte empathisch, solidarisch und flexibel einsetzbar sein.

Kontakt:
Berliner Assistenz Verein e.V., Christine Damaschke
Pohlstraße 51, 10785 Berlin
Der Verein ist unter folgender Adresse zu erreichen.
BAV e.V., Skalitzer Str. 6, 10999 Berlin
Telefon: 030 616 589 50
E-Mail: kontakt@berliner-assistenz-verein.de

ASL – Arbeitsgemeinschaft für selbstbestimmtes Leben
schwerstbehinderter Menschen e.V., Skalitzer Str. 6, 10999 Berlin
Tel.: 030 61 40 14 00

ASL und BAV sind Beratungsstellen für behinderte Arbeitgeberinnen und Arbeitgeber, die ihre Assistenz selbst organisieren.