Best safe & affordable area to live for a new job at Dusseldorf main airport

10 posts in this topic

My son will be moving from the UK to Dusseldorf to work at the main airport within days. He has never been to German, never mind Dusseldorf, before. He does not drive and so needs to be within a short walking distance of a 24 hour public transport link to and from the airport. Can someone say what kind of transport makes most sense (particular train, tram or bus) in this context and which areas of Dusseldorf are best for accessing these direct transport links to the airport. I'm assuming there is no accommodation immediately adjacent to the airport - he'd happily walk (plane noise not an issue for him). A ten to twenty minute journey would be ideal. Are there less expensive ways of travelling e.g. a monthly, yearly ticket etc?

He will not have a large salary so will be looking for an apartment or flat share. Are there good sites to look at to find out what might be on offer?

Any info about budget? Obviously there will be monthly rent, gas/electricity but is there an equivalent of the UK council tax, a city tax perhaps and other costs to consider?

Any help and advice appreciated

Many thanks!

Thank you for your help in moving the post. 

I apologise for offending you. I was just trying to go online to seek the help of local people. I do not know Germany nor am I skilled on the net, as you have now advertised. My son may well be much better in both things. I was just trying to save time for him and get back with helpful advice from those who know the town. 

Hi,

I think it's easier to recommend which areas not relocate to in Düsseldorf due to either high prices or poor direct public transport connectivity to the airport. These would be off the top of my head:

+ Angermund 

+ Wittaler 

+ Kaiserswerth

+ Lohausen

+ Stockum

All of these are located on the wrong side of the airport and can only be reached by either bus or by taking a tram into city centre to the main trainstation and then taking a surface train to the airport. Areas where I think your son might be interested in could be the following:

+ Derendorf 

+ Pempelfort 

+ Düsseltal 

+ Oberbilk

+ Flingern Süd

+ Stadmitte 

Should either be close a surface translation stop or be a short tram ride away from one.

If he's looking for an initial place to stay that isn't horribly expensive there is a hotel called Kempe Komfort near the station Düsseldorf Wehrhahn which is a 10 minute ride from the airport on the S Bahn. They also rent out furnished apartments in the area.

As for hidden costs he needs to be aware that in most cases if he rents, the utilities included aren't final. The bill will be adjusted according to the meter readings at the end of the year so taking long steaming showers or turning up the heat too much will come back at him later. There is no council tax here but there is a tv fee, around 50€ every 3 months. Also 8.5% of his income will go to health care.

Edit: Also tell him that when he registers his address here, there is a question about religion. If he is Catholic or Lutheran/Evangelical he'll have to pay 9% church tax.

16 hours ago, LeonG said:

Edit: Also tell him that when he registers his address here, there is a question about religion. If he is Catholic or Lutheran/Evangelical he'll have to pay 9% church tax.

However, the basis of calculation isn´t taxable income but rather the actual tax you owe. Also, AFAIR it´s 8% "only", at least in Bavaria.

In theory he could even just live out in Duisburg, take  bus or tram to the hbf and the next by regional train stop would be the airport. It's not walking distance but he would likely save alot of money on the rent.

Why would anyone want to live in Duisburg?

I use to live in Meerbusch and worked at the airport for about 6 months and it was quite accessible with personal transport.(15mins drive).There is also a very Good connection with the bus from Meerbusch Büderich directly to the airport. Tramps and trains are very well connected but you will always have to leave maybe an hour before work time . Meerbusch is a very quiet residential area and good for people who work in Düsseldorf and want to stay out but nearby. There are furnished apartments for short stay and some few cheap hotels(nothing big or fancy).Hope this helps.