VLH took 4 months to prepare tax return and 200 invoice. My rights?

3 posts in this topic

Dear forum members,

Tax return filing deadline was Feb 2020 (wihout penalty). 

My scenario is: moved to Germany from other country in 2018, Married, regular salaried employee. Provided all documents to them by Oct 2019. And there was no other documents/questions asked by them and I followed-up every months about progress but no reply.

Suddenly today I get invoice of 200 euro and tax return which I need to sign and pay invoice before filing.

Also, I am not satisfied tax return file which he prepared. I think, I need second opinion with tax return.

At this point, can I not pay this tax consultant and approach other tax consultant (VLH or other agency) to get second opinion or may be file return with other?

Is this ethical? 

Thanks.

Are you talking about your tax return for 2018?

If so, according to my tax lady, the final day to send in returns was this past Monday.

Not sure why you have a problem with paying for the service you have received - they have done the work already, and I guess you will have signed a form stating that you will pay their bill.

(BTW - your bill is about a quarter of mine!)

A "second opinion " at this stage will only incur more expense, so I suggest you give it a miss.

If you are so unhappy with the service VLH has provided, then go to another tax company next time.

Correct, deadline has been passed already while I gave him all documents 4 months back and he took signature from me on same day to his bill.

First, he didnt deliver service on time (I already missed deadline despite multiple follow-up) and second, he missed or didnt consider relocation expenses for my wife (I will have to discuss with him). When I asked him, who will be responsible for late filing then his reply is that "I think it is not a compulsory assessment, then there are no deadlines.".:unsure:

Sure, preparing tax return is hard and complicated in Germany. But 4 months from a VLH expert?? Is this normal for my scenario (explained in original post)?

Its hard to digest for me but like you said I will have to move-on.