Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Software Developer jobs in Germany : private company versus public service organization

12 posts in this topic

I am currently working for a start-up as a software developer. salary is around 50 K. I have got another job offer from a university as a software developer. At the university salary scale for the position is under pay group 11 TV-L - around 45 K. Which job will be better ? Do you think jobs at public service organization is better in Germany ? 

In private companies you can climb the career ladder faster and have bigger salary increases. I wouldn't accept a 10% pay cut.

15 minutes ago, Imra said:

I am currently working for a start-up as a software developer. salary is around 50 K. I have got another job offer from a university as a software developer. At the university salary scale for the position is under pay group 11 TV-L - around 45 K.

A 10% pay cut is not really an improvement, however, I'm going to tell you a secret that not many people realise; it is now possible for certain new hires to negotiate a guaranteed bonus (Zulage).  

Which job will be better ? Do you think jobs at public service organization is better in Germany ? 

Who knows if it'll be better, however, start ups in Berlin are not always reliable. 

21 minutes ago, Imra said:

I am currently working for a start-up as a software developer. salary is around 50 K. I have got another job offer from a university as a software developer. At the university salary scale for the position is under pay group 11 TV-L - around 45 K. Which job will be better ? Do you think jobs at public service organization is better in Germany ? 

At what level are you (1-6)?  It seems they have assigned you level 3.    They will assign you a level based on your equivalent experience, etc  Ask for level 4.  That is more in line with what you are making now. https://oeffentlicher-dienst.info/c/t/rechner/tv-l/west?id=tv-l-2019&g=E_11&s=3&f=&z=&zv=&r=&awz=&zulage=&kk=&kkz=&zkf=&stkl=

The thing about public service organizations is that you will never go about the max for your pay group.  So for tvl 11, it looks like the max is abut 60 k.  That is the most you will ever be able to make at this position (unless the pay is renegotiated by the union of course).

The advantage is that you will have a much more seccure position, the opposite of working for a start-up.  The disadvantage is that you might ake less in the long run if the start up does well.  You should ask yourself - what do you think of the prospects of the start-up?  Are you more cautious and security oriented, or more adventurous and risk-taking?

pay group 11 TV-L was mentioned in job advert. they assigned me to level 2. So is it possible to ask them to change tha pay scale ?

2 hours ago, Imra said:

pay group 11 TV-L was mentioned in job advert. they assigned me to level 2. So is it possible to ask them to change tha pay scale ?

It is based on years of experience.  If you have more experience, then you should try to negotiate a higher wage level.  When negotiating, you should realize that you cannot go from tvl 11 to tvl 12.  That is not going to happen.  However, if you argue that you have more related experience then you should be able to go from a level 2 to a level 3.  Usually, level 1 is for someone starting out (no experience) and level 2 is for someone with some limited experience (one year). Level 3 should be fairly easy to ask for if you have 3 years or more.  I know of people who have negotiated for higher levels with more experience.  

i have experiences of working part-time for 1 year (20 hours/week). But they do not count part-time works. They only counted full-time works. My full-time works are around 28 months. I also have Masters degree. To reach level 3, i need 3 years (36 months) of full-time experiences.  

12 hours ago, Imra said:

In the pubic sector is your contract limited to 2 years at a time?