Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Work with the computer - chair required?

12 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

 

I'm experiencing an issue at my workplace as our team has recently been treated very badly by the management - our chairs have been taken away from us. It might sound a bit bizzare to you but I work in logistics/operational team in a huge warehouse so it's not an office type of job. However I do work with a computer, I even have two screens on my desk. I've got a feeling that this decision hasn't been considered carefully by the folks who made it.

Complexity of this issue is the fact that this is not a German company (HQ outside Germany , within EU). We do not have any HR representatives on site. Needless to say no trade union folks to refer to either...

Could someone help me or direct me to someone who knows? I can't afford the lawyer...

I was thinking that for all employees working >1h with computer it is required to be seated ?

 

Cheers!

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look here.

 

If the work can be carried out wholly or partly in a seated position or if the work process allows for temporary sitting, seating must be provided for employees at the workplace. Where, for operational reasons, seating cannot be provided directly at the workstation even though the work schedule permits temporary sitting, seating must be provided for employees near the workstations.

Ausstattung

(2) Kann die Arbeit ganz oder teilweise sitzend verrichtet werden oder lässt es der Arbeitsablauf zu, sich zeitweise zu setzen, sind den Beschäftigten am Arbeitsplatz Sitzgelegenheiten zur Verfügung zu stellen. Können aus betriebstechnischen Gründen keine Sitzgelegenheiten unmittelbar am Arbeitsplatz aufgestellt werden, obwohl es der Arbeitsablauf zulässt, sich zeitweise zu setzen, müssen den Beschäftigten in der Nähe der Arbeitsplätze Sitzgelegenheiten bereitgestellt werden.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why did they take away your chairs?

 

I think ergonomics need to be considered.  If your computer is on a normal desk, and because you have no chair you'd need to bend over or kneel on the ground to use it - that is really not ok!  If it's placed on a high desk intended for working in a standing position, you might have less traction.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Abysmo said:

Complexity of this issue is the fact that this is not a German company (HQ outside Germany , within EU). We do not have any HR representatives on site. Needless to say no trade union folks to refer to either...

 

Even if your company itself is not unionised, you can still join a union. We discussed it in this thread a few months ago.

 

I think you could benefit from union membership and a really good Rechtsschutzversicherung; your employer seems somewhat sketchy.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, engelchen said:

 

Even if your company itself is not unionised, you can still join a union. We discussed it in this thread a few months ago.

 

I think you could benefit from union membership and a really good Rechtsschutzversicherung; your employer seems somewhat sketchy.

Thank you @engelchen this is really useful ! I'll think about it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tor said:

Have a look here.

 

If the work can be carried out wholly or partly in a seated position or if the work process allows for temporary sitting, seating must be provided for employees at the workplace. Where, for operational reasons, seating cannot be provided directly at the workstation even though the work schedule permits temporary sitting, seating must be provided for employees near the workstations.

Ausstattung

(2) Kann die Arbeit ganz oder teilweise sitzend verrichtet werden oder lässt es der Arbeitsablauf zu, sich zeitweise zu setzen, sind den Beschäftigten am Arbeitsplatz Sitzgelegenheiten zur Verfügung zu stellen. Können aus betriebstechnischen Gründen keine Sitzgelegenheiten unmittelbar am Arbeitsplatz aufgestellt werden, obwohl es der Arbeitsablauf zulässt, sich zeitweise zu setzen, müssen den Beschäftigten in der Nähe der Arbeitsplätze Sitzgelegenheiten bereitgestellt werden.

@tor thank you for your input, sounds really interesting...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

why did they take away your chairs?

My guess?  Some micro-managing prick of a new boss came in and saw someone sitting down and thought they were lollygagging.  Something similar happened to my brother. Didn't last long when he stopped using the computer altogether and started playing "not in my job description".  Got his chair back and his job description upgraded. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0