Recruiter / prospective employer wants date of birth?

37 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, catjones said:

Those ^^^^ generalizations (in my experience) are not age applicable.

True, but I learned they become more frequent in pre-retirement people. Can't really blame them, but won't work with them.

2 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Only banks and insurance companies still maintain technologies from the "good old days" like COBOL :).

no COBOL here :) my thing since 1978 is PL/I, IMS-DB/DC, a little DB2, lots of JES2-JCL, I can read Assembler, I know SAS - and I have 13 years of Windows client/server hands-on experience on top of that (VIsual Studio up to 2016, TFS, SQL-Server, SSIS, SSRS, VB.net, of course I can do Excel/Access too).

I am what Germans would call an "eierlegende Wollmilchsau" - feels great to be needed

8 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

No, as in:

• have no pride in their work
  • have no will to learn new things
  • don't care if the outcome has quality or not
  • hide problems from managers, to delay being dismissed

BTW, not a single developer in my team is pushed to work more than 8 hours a day! We even had a case where we were constantly sending a guy home.

oh my...haven't I heard the same criticisms of mellennials?

seriously this is a ludicrous set of presumptions.  FFS you yourself say you haven't had any applicants over 50 so how can you even make these assertions?

eta:  correction, you said no applicants over 45.  And you're basing your assumptions on contractors who are notoriously not highly engaged no matter their age.  come on man, you can do better.

18 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

oh my...haven't I heard the same criticisms of mellennials?

Sure, age matters, once again. I didn't say it was only a problem of old people!

seriously this is a ludicrous set of presumptions.  FFS you yourself say you haven't had any applicants over 50 so how can you even make these assertions?

eta:  correction, you said no applicants over 45.  And you're basing your assumptions on contractors who are notoriously not highly engaged no matter their age.  come on man, you can do better.

I had around 12 contractors in my project, almost all above 45 and 5 or 6 above 55. I've had very engaged contractors, I've had very professional but 9-to-5 contractors and I've had some which are just waiting for retirement. Most of those we reject them during screening/interviews, but still we had a couple which revealed themselves to be worthless, just waiting for retirement. Both around 60 year old. One of them blatantly lied for 2 months, stating he was almost finished with a major refactoring, until we found out he had done almost nothing!

I've also had young guys (especially permanent) with their own set of problems. So age does give you some information about potential issues.

Not to mention early 30's married women without kids... I have absolutely no problem with that, but I've already said here some years ago that I was very surprised that the head of HR, a woman, told me to avoid hiring potential mothers! Anyway, we only had one of those cases and we offered her a job.

49 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

True, but I learned they become more frequent in pre-retirement people. Can't really blame them, but won't work with them.

Your loss. But I'm sure you'll change when you reach "pre-retirement" age

4 minutes ago, French bean said:

Your loss. But I'm sure you'll change when you reach "pre-retirement" age

Nah, already moved on to management :)

We only get better with age :D

Also I plan on having enough money for a comfortable retirement between the age of 50 and 55, so if at 58 I am no longer having fun, I'll just stop working. Although I doubt it because I am a workaholic.

On 3/2/2020, 9:54:29, sos-the-rope said:

Is it OK for them to ask? Should I provide it?

Yes, it is legal to ask for that.

Yes, it is legal to refuse to answer that question.

Yes, it is legal to refrain from processing your application any further after you decided to refuse to answer that question.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Not to mention early 30's married women without kids... I have absolutely no problem with that, but I've already said here some years ago that I was very surprised that the head of HR, a woman, told me to avoid hiring potential mothers.

It was fun seeing the reactions when employers realize that my wife had her first child at 46.  They thought they were safe!  LOL.

5 hours ago, HEM said:

COBOL: how to get so little done in so many lines of code!

the definition of "state of the art".

I love how quickly this slid down the TT slope.

In the end I just asked directly but politely if it’s really necessary.

That’s the German code for “I refuse that request 100% and I demand you proceed with this”. Minutes later “we’ve passed it on and you’ll get a phone interview soon”.

On 3/3/2020, 2:17:25, MikeMelga said:

Hiding it is an issue. Puts you down on the list immediately.

And yes, age is unfortunately relevant.

Again, hiding what?! I’m not hiding anything. You don’t need DOB to figure out approx age. I’ve figured out a lot of TTers’ without knowing their birthdays ;-)

I just thought, if you don't give a rat's ass about the job, you could always toy with them and put your birth date several centuries in the past.

When they ask, just say in your first incarnation that was your date of birth. They can't discriminate against you for having a wacky take on when you were truly "born". :-) 

3 hours ago, paulwork said:

I just thought, if you don't give a rat's ass about the job, you could always toy with them and put your birth date several centuries in the past.

When they ask, just say in your first incarnation that was your date of birth. They can't discriminate against you for having a wacky take on when you were truly "born". :-) 

Brilliant but I’ve got that cornershop song going round my head now

15 hours ago, paulwork said:

Here you go. It’s the album title but I’m pretty sure it’s a lyric of one of the songs too. Classic tunes.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ1eM7cfQ_CPbdUPtrsOIqGKluuCsIBG3

On 04/03/2020, 22:11:01, MikeMelga said:

Nah, already moved on to management :)

We only get better with age :D

Yes, they usually are OK by the time they get the gold watch but from the POV of a 30 year old engineer  in general most are/were A*holes who couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery! Present company excepted of course.;)

My opinion, in this respect, has not changed with experience and  years and indeed has if anything been hardened.

On 03/03/2020, 14:34:32, kaffeemitmilch said:

It seems to be standard on German CVs, so I'm surprised you're surprised. I've been including mine since here since the beginning, unless I'm applying for a position at an international organization.

same here