Should bullying be seen as a criminal offence in Germany?

23 posts in this topic

Hi just wondering what people think about bullying being a criminal offence. I personally think it should be, no one should be allowed to torment someone else without consequences. I was reading about what protection there is to bullying in Germany.  https://www.koerperverletzung.com/mobbing/#Was_ist_Mobbing_Eine_Definition  says that actions asociated with bullying such as harassment and physical abuse are seen as criminal offences but ´bullying´itself isn´t one. What are people´s opinions on this? 

Bullying is a bit hard to define. So I would say a big "no".

It´s even worst than defining sexual harassment. Both very subjective, hard to prove, full of miscommunication. And in the case of bullying, much less important.

Also there is a biological need for (light) bullying, which is to establish the ranks between beta males/females. And of course between alfa males/females. But not between alfa and beta males, as true alfa males don´t need it. Alfa females is another thing...

True it is subjective I do agree, but some cases of bullying are undeniable and i feel that for extreme cases there should be punishment. 

Extreme cases of bullying usually mean violence or something similar, which is probably already covered by other laws.

Yes, I think it should be. If the law has been able to define harassment on the grounds of sex, age, gender, race, disability, etc. it should be able to define psychological harassment on no grounds at all. After all, burglary or assault isn't considered to only count as a crime if the victim falls into some particular sex/age/gender/race category.

Bullying is tricky, by it's nature it doesn't have to be an active act (as in punching someone) but can just be done as part of a shared culture (as can happen in schools etc).
To me, it's far to broad a thing to be able to put in to one illegal box.
You then have the complication of bully/target and how it is perceived. I've seen people being bullied (at least in my opinion) but they didn't see it that way and one person make a bullying complaint due to negative feedback (that was justified).

Maybe possible to make the various forms it can take illegal (some already are). 

1 hour ago, Lorelei said:

Yes, I think it should be. If the law has been able to define harassment on the grounds of sex, age, gender, race, disability, etc. it should be able to define psychological harassment on no grounds at all. After all, burglary or assault isn't considered to only count as a crime if the victim falls into some particular sex/age/gender/race category.

Ok, please provide some concrete examples of what should be considered bullying.

And just how would TTs MrPerfect citizen react if his son or daughter was getting mobbed or bullied in school?  

Sometimes mike... you should simply shut the fuck up!

Apparently, online bullying is already a federal crime in the US.

A Southern California man was sentenced Monday to more than five years in prison for cyberstalking and harassing families and friends of victims of the 2018 mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

Brandon Michael Fleury, 22, of Santa Ana in Orange County, was convicted by a federal jury in Florida in October of interstate transmission of a threat to kidnap and interstate cyberstalking.

I'm waiting for someone to say it was just a bit of banter, for example, one of the snowflakes who cries bullying when the things they do get done to them.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

I'm waiting for someone to say it was just a bit of banter, for example, one of the snowflakes who cries bullying when the things they do get done to them.

Is anyone on here threatening to kidnap other members or confront them with an AR-15?    🙄

Keep it somewhat real if you are able.

🤪

7 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

And just how would TTs MrPerfect citizen react if his son or daughter was getting mobbed or bullied in school?  

He was, we took him out of that school. Not because of bullying but because of physical assault, which is already considered a crime. The kids were later kicked out of the kindergarten as many parents reported the same, including a chocking that required medical treatment (not on my kid). We removed our kid because the teachers always said they saw nothing, so we could not legally act. 

Kids will be kids. Most of what @Lorelei put on that list is part of normal learning to become an adult. Otherwise we end up with a bunch of wimps that can't take a criticism. The new generation is already the "ice tea" generation, we are overprotecting them.

7 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Sometimes mike... you should simply shut the fuck up!

Hey, don't bully me! I am going to sue your ass! :D <-- see how easy this criminalization could go wrong?

We have always taken the view that kids will be kids, some kids have problems and we understand that but our sympathy goes when they hit our daughter.

This has led us to go through the school and directly to the parents on one occasion. So far we have been lucky, the parents were basically 'yes, sorry, we know, both we, the school and a child counselor are working on it'. Kid left our daughter alone ad since then me just looking at him seems to work.

This approach is not always possible, during my uni time I did a course that had us in a primary school one of two afternoons a week. The school was in a shit area, really bad. Parents were in constantly about bullying and fighting etc. 
I think I was asked to hang around twice by female members of staff as there were no other male staff around as the parent waiting in the lobby was known for acting in an aggressive way to female staff, but nice as pie to male staff.
He was shorter than I am (which is not that easy) and not a nice guy.His son was always in trouble for bullying and a kid had finally hit his kid back so this was his time to be able to complain.
Later we had the other father in as he was unhappy that his kid was in trouble for finally hitting the other kid back.

I crossed that area off my 'places to live' pretty quick. 

I happily stand to be corrected but I thought "Mobbing" (bullying) was already a criminal offence in Germany.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Most of what @Lorelei put on that list is part of normal learning to become an adult. Otherwise we end up with a bunch of wimps that can't take a criticism.

Beg to disagree. Bullying is so often passive-aggressive. Instead of confronting real or perceived problems openly and constructively, the perp is indirectly aggressive, which makes it difficult for the victim to confront the behaviour. "Non-confrontational" (cowardly) behaviour is supposed to pass for "diplomacy" and has a negative effect as problems are not resolved. Some bullies do not realise they are bullies as they know no other way of behaving having learned the patterns from their entourage. Claiming the victims are over-sensitive snowflakes (or cannot take a joke) is a well-known tactic.

21 minutes ago, onemark said:

I happily stand to be corrected but I thought "Mobbing" (bullying) was already a criminal offence in Germany.

No ´mobbing´ itself is npt considered a criminal offence. 

4 hours ago, AlexTr said:

Wow go America I definitely think online bullying should be illegal. If someone is getting bullied online there is literally no escape not even in the safety of their own home.