Returning to Germany after life in the US

6 posts in this topic

I am a dual citizen of both Germany and the US and have passports for both countries. As a young child, my parents moved to New York from the Pfalz and gave up their German rights. As a minor, I was not naturalized by the US, but granted citizenship. Now retired at 60, I plan to move back to Germany (Hesse area) where my two sons now reside with their families, having followed a career path that minimized the relocation impact. The issue is I have no idea where to begin.. My husband, who has dual citizenship from both the US (birth) and Iceland (from previous marriage) is another issue as well as bringing along our crossbreed rescue dog which I will have to address later. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving is not a problem because you are allowed to live here but getting healthcare can be a headache if you are older and were never insured in the EU.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LBC said:

I am a dual citizen of both Germany and the US and have passports for both countries. As a young child, my parents moved to New York from the Pfalz and gave up their German rights. As a minor, I was not naturalized by the US, but granted citizenship. Now retired at 60, I plan to move back to Germany (Hesse area) where my two sons now reside with their families, having followed a career path that minimized the relocation impact. The issue is I have no idea where to begin.. My husband, who has dual citizenship from both the US (birth) and Iceland (from previous marriage) is another issue as well as bringing along our crossbreed rescue dog which I will have to address later. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

 

Re Leon´s post: if your parents were publicly health insured in Germany and if you were not self-employed the past 5 years in the US ( and some other rules), you might be able to apply for public German health insurance. It makes no sense to even contemplate a move to Germany without health insurance.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John...I have no idea about public health insurance with regards to my parents in the 1950's. I am a retired school teacher, having put in the allotted years to retire at 60. I currently pay $640/month for my private insurance here. Therefore self-employment is not an issue, but the "some other rules" might be. Cute dog!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Moving is not a problem because you are allowed to live here but getting healthcare can be a headache if you are older and were never insured in the EU.

Do you have any idea what private health care would cost if I have to take that route? I do plan on working once I move for an international school. My prior occupation (pre January) was as a teacher.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LBC said:

Do you have any idea what private health care would cost if I have to take that route? I do plan on working once I move for an international school. My prior occupation (pre January) was as a teacher.

 

Talk to John. He's an insurance broker.  Normally if you are employed making more than 450€ a month your employer takes care of your insurance automatically but I think there is still some hang ups if you are over a certain age and were never insured here. Will you be an employee of the school or a contractor? That can make a big difference too.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now