Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stupid package stuck in customs at Frankfurt airport

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have two wonderful purple scarves meant for Lent that I ordered from the USA two months ago. They are worth 100.00 dollars combined. I hoped they would arrive by now but  they are  stuck in customs at Frankfurt airport. They have been there since February 20th. Has anyone ever contracted someone in the Zollamt there and been successful? I would happy to just pay any taxes or fees to the local DHL authority or even take a trip down to the local Zollamt.

Thank you.

Have you received official notice from the Zollamt that the package is at the airport?

If so, it should say what you now need to do.

I believe you would have to go there yourself to collect the package, but I am not 100% sure.

Think there was a thread here about something similar... oh yes, loads of them - type "Zollamt" into the search box.

No I am afraid that I haven't gotten a note, email or call. The only reason I know the package is in customs is because the US postal service has stated its status as there.

I had the same thing last year a package from USA was held in Frankfurt and the status never changed. I didn't receive any notifications, I didn't have any luck trying to contact someone at the Zollamt. It was like that for six weeks and then the package just turned up with an €8 euro customs charge! Status still says it's stuck in customs. It really is a waiting game!

I think the customs office is too busy to send you a letter to claim your tax now.   Next time you need to stick  the receipt or invoice with the commodity's price in to the package to facilitate their processing your duty issue.

Well everyone, believe it or not I got a response back. I emailed a general enquiries office in English. The answer better than nothing but completely confusing :( Here is an excerpt:

The is the standard procedure that a shipment is delivered to the receiver or to his locally competent customs office. 

For a better understanding I would like to explain import via postal traffic to you:

Upon import post packages, parcels or letters containing goods from third countries are taken to one of the four international offices of exchange of Deutsche Post (German Post). At this office of exchange the shipments are customs cleared if all necessary documents and information are attached to the consignment and there are no restrictions or prohibitions on the relevant goods.

Customs clearance itself usually takes a few days only. But for clearance German Post has to present the goods to customs and to submit a customs declaration. Due to the high number of consignments which are imported daily, German Post is sometimes not able to present the goods to customs immediately.

(Please note in this context, that the statement "Into Foreign Customs" or similar in the tracking system is created automatically as soon as the goods have entered the international office of exchange of German Post. It does not mean that German Post has actually presented the consignment to customs for customs clearance by then.)

After customs clearance German Post delivers the shipment directly to the consignee. Should customs duties or taxes have incurred, which German Post has paid in advance, these will be asked from the consignee upon delivery. Customs does not have any influence on the period until delivery by German Post.

If a consignment cannot be customs cleared at the international office of exchange (for example if an invoice or declaration of value is missing) the consignment will be forwarded to the local customs office which is locally competent for the consignee's address.

In this case German Post has to inform the consignee with a formal notification about the shipment of third country goods, and that it has been sent to a local customs office (mentioning a so-called PUEB number of the parcel as well as the address and opening hours of the local customs office). They also have to ask the consignee formally to make the customs declaration themselves at the local customs offices by providing the missing documents or information. It is also possible to send the missing documents with reference to PUEB number to the local customs office. If the consignee doesn't submit a customs declaration or sends the documents within 14 days or refuses to accept the parcel, customs returns it to the forwarder. The deadline for letters, registered letters and small parcels is just 7 days. The forwarder sends the parcel back to the consignor or destroys the goods. This depends on the instruction in the declaration of contents CN22/CN23.

As far as this answer contains legal statements, this information can – for legal reasons – only be given to the best of our knowledge and is non-binding.

Well...I am glade they tried to help but as it stands my stuff has been paid for and nonetheless stuck in customs now for 10 days. The only thing now that I can think of doing is perhaps sending a PDF of my paid receipt to the office in in question. I can be patient...I just don't want my stuff sent back to the USA. I have had this before with some books---it took a month and half to get to me after arrival in Germany and I had to pay taxes to the DHL delivery person.

Oh German bureaucracy...I'll never get used to you :)

Hey good news everyone---package arrived in my mailbox on Friday: Complete with a 19.00 Euro tax bill!:D

@NativeFraulein; Oh German bureaucracy...I'll never get used to you :)

Last year I sent a package to the US and it got lost in customs for 3 weeks.

Also the US have bureaucracy. So, it is not typically German.