übergangsklasse for teenage English speakers

7 posts in this topic

Please help me with fresh information. This topic has been raised a few times but dated back to 2006... 

We are moving to Munich in April 2020. My children are 11 and 14 and they are quite bright but their German language skill is lacking.  After a lot of research and email comms with the Schulberatung I am more confused than ever about the options available. 

It seems to me like the first thing to do is to learn enough German to attend normal school. We have 3 months before the end of the 2020 school year and I want to use this time as wisely as possible. So, my questions are like this: 

1. do ALL Realschulen offer übergangsklassen for foreign lerners? Shall we just register at our local school where we end up living and sign up till the end of the year. Should I be looking for a Realschule or a Mittelschule? 

2. if my children end up NOT being able to attend a Gymnasium... it seems to me that a Realschule graduate still has the possibility of completing an Abitur? is this correct? is there a restriction on what University courses can be studied? 

these have been useful links for me : 

https://www.realschulebayern.de/eltern/uebertritt/uebertritt-an-das-gymnasium/

https://www.pi-muenchen.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Uebersicht_Schulsystem.pdf

I would love to hear about your own experience transitioning teenage kids into the German schooling. I am trying to avoid International schools if I can. 

Thanks in advance. 

On 26/02/2020, 16:35:29, megan.hobson said:

Please help me with fresh information. This topic has been raised a few times but dated back to 2006... 

The situation in schools has deteriorated and there is a shortage of teachers across the country. 

We are moving to Munich in April 2020. My children are 11 and 14 and they are quite bright but their German language skill is lacking. 

Your kids are too old for German public school.

2. if my children end up NOT being able to attend a Gymnasium... it seems to me that a Realschule graduate still has the possibility of completing an Abitur? is this correct? is there a restriction on what University courses can be studied? 

It is possible in Bavaria to complete Realschule retake a year and then go on to a Gymnasium to take the Abitur, however, without excellent German it is not possible to obtain an Abitur (especially in Bavaria).

I would love to hear about your own experience transitioning teenage kids into the German schooling.

Try this thread: 

https://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/topic/349052-did-anyone-arrive-in-germany-with-a-child-due-to-start-gymnasium-realschule/

I am trying to avoid International schools if I can. 

Why? This would probably be the best solution if your kids speak English.

Why do you want to avoid International schools? 

Do you/partner have a job lined up? Then try and negotiate package with some education funding? If it is the cost that concerns you.

On 26.2.2020, 17:35:29, megan.hobson said:

1. do ALL Realschulen offer übergangsklassen for foreign lerners?

I´m not sure what you mean by Übergangsklasse. My daughter visited a "Einführungsklasse" at the local Gymnasium in Bavaria. This was a grade 10 class which kids from Mittel- and Realschule could voluntarily visit before going to grade 11. My daughter didn´t mind doing that extra year and she liked it as it helped her bridge the gaps. She graduated with Abitur.

if my children end up NOT being able to attend a Gymnasium... it seems to me that a Realschule graduate still has the possibility of completing an Abitur? is this correct?

Yes, provided your marks are sufficient. You´d have to visit a Gymnasium or Fachoberschule after graduating from Realschule.

is there a restriction on what University courses can be studied? 

Not if she graduates with the "allgemeine Hochschulreife" (aka Abitur) a Gymnasium offers as opposed to the "fachgebundene Hochschulreife" (aka Fachabitur) a Fachoberschule would offer. Be aware that there are not only Universities but Fachhochschulen as well offering tertiary education. If you graduated from a Fachhochschule and had "only" fachgebundene Hochschulreife you could go to University without any restrictions.

8 hours ago, jeba said:

I´m not sure what you mean by Übergangsklasse.

It is where foreign children learn German. 

8 hours ago, jeba said:

My daughter visited a "Einführungsklasse" at the local Gymnasium in Bavaria.

However, your daughter is a native German speaker. Since the OP's kids don't speak German,  your daughter's experience is not comparable. 

8 hours ago, jeba said:

Yes, provided your marks are sufficient

How exactly are foreign children with weak German  skills supposed to obtain good enough grades to even be admitted to a Gymnasium? 

51 minutes ago, engelchen said:

How exactly are foreign children with weak German  skills supposed to obtain good enough grades to even be admitted to a Gymnasium? 

At Mittelschule that should be doable even with not so perfect German skills, provided there is enough motivation / ambition. Lack of the latter is what keeps many kids going there back according to my daughter. And that´s the impression I had of many of the parents, too. Most didn´t even bother to attend parent-teacher meetings.

Once having graduated with "mittlere Reife" they´d have another year at the Einführungsklasse to brush up their German.

On 26.2.2020, 16:35:29, megan.hobson said:

We are moving to Munich in April 2020. My children are 11 and 14 and they are quite bright but their German language skill is lacking

I'm usually quite pro using the local schools, but this could be quite a tall order. You will either need to spend megabucks on International schools, or on Nachhilfe - extra help outside of school. 

There is a thread where a family moves with kids similar to yours and everything goes great, but I can't find it at the moment. They are in a village somewhere, but you might have pm-ed her - I'll look again.