Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Moving to Hamburg Area, request for a few pointers and general advice

2 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have also posted this in the Schleswig-Holstein and the Niedersachsen forums as they will be equally relevant areas (Mods please delete if I shouldn't duplicate posts in this way). I've just accepted a job offer and I'm preparing to move to the Hamburg area in the next few months, from Stuttgart, where I have been based for a number of years. I am in the process of looking for a house to live in. When I was up last week for the interview, I took the opportunity to drive around the area a bit, and we're settling on living in the either a north-of-the-river area (Pinneberg/Halstenbek/Wedel) or a south-of-the-river area (somewhere along the B73 between Neu Wulmsdorf and Dollern/Stade) - This puts my employer geographically in the middle of the search area and avoids the silly prices of Blankenese.

The reason for the post is that some of the "Moving to Hamburg" posts on here are quite old and I'm wondering how relevant they still are.

I've done the usual Immobielienscout / Immowelt searches, but I know there are always "more" in Germany, such as local news papers / local knowledge.

Can any one local help me out with some links to good places to look for houses that may not be more widely advertised?

Also does anyone have any experience with a Makler they could recommend? We're not finding any offerings that are 100% ideal at the moment, but that's because we have three kids and, what I am finding (when I find a "suitable" house) is that is has been split into two appartments of two bedrooms. So I'm thinking about trying the Makler route, as you can grab the exposes that don't make it to Immobielienscout / Immowelt.

Thanks, in advance, and I look forward to getting to know some of you at a meet up or similar!

I've been in/near Pinneberg now 7yr, with spouse and child. I work in Schenefeld. The area is good.

If you are south of the river housing is much less expensive, but because there is much less of everything, and commuting to/from the north side will be a nightmare.

No Makler can possibly be recommended, same as everywhere else.

No, there is no "secret" list of housing that is not widely advertised. Maybe is good to ask your (future) HR?

Finding suitable housing will be challenging. The further you go (say Elmshorn, or Bad Bramstedt...) the less difficult, for obvious reasons of course.

You can PM me if you wish.

Good luck.