Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

speed camera app

21 posts in this topic

Presumably because speed cameras are intended to encourage people to take note of speed limits and drive within them all of the time, not only where there is an active camera.

2 hours ago, kiplette said:

Presumably because speed cameras are intended to encourage people to take note of speed limits and drive within them all of the time, not only where there is an active camera.

My Sat Nav has a speed camera warning so surely they should also ban them on the Sat Navs?

Interesting since they DO announce the speed traps on the radio. :) But aren't the radar detectors illegal too? Here in FL it seems almost everyone has one in the car. 

I know quite a few people that regularly use BlitzApp. We used it on a trip to Düsseldorf a few weeks ago. How do they catch you using it?

8 minutes ago, LostBetweenCountries said:

Interesting since they DO announce the speed traps on the radio. :) But aren't the radar detectors illegal too? Here in FL it seems almost everyone has one in the car. 

Not surprised because of the speed limits in the States. When I was there, it was 55 mph.

2 minutes ago, Acton said:

Not surprised because of the speed limits in the States. When I was there, it was 55 mph.

The speed limits aren't the problem (I struggle much more with the 30k limits) but the cost of a speeding ticket in FL starts somewhere around $200 for exceeding by 10-15mph and that's if you're not in a school or construction zone (which it seems everything in Orlando is a construction zone :D ). I always kinda smiled when I got a EUR10-15 ticket in Germany for minor infractions and moved on with life.  

The law says that you cannot take a device with you which warns of (or even disturbs) speed traps.

Whether a satnav / smart phone with navigation software is a device *solely* for that purpose

is something the courts are beginning to make decisions about.

See Bussgeldkatalog

If you have a radar warner, the sort that sits on the dash and watches for radar or laser impulses

(which would anyway only tell you that you've already been made)

then this is easy to spot by the traffic cop the next time you're stopped for a checkup.

A smartphone / satnav on the other hand would have to be beeping and blinking for the cop to notice.

As the link explains, it's a grey area, but some courts have already ruled that a smartphone was being

used illegally as a speed trap warner.

So, to answer the OP: 
Yes illegal in Germany.

But probably difficult to spot that you're using one.

The rules are hardening up to make the cops more aware of the use of

a satnav as a radar warning. So with time, more risky to have on board.

Why not just watch your speed and concentrate on the traffic and road signs ?

Now, if someone had a Renault Sport with the RS monitor and TomTom-based Navigation system built in, they just might have speed camera alerts also built in. That is if the locations were registered / notified as it doesn't automatically detect.

Of course this is purely a 'maybe' which I couldn't possibly confirm.

I used to have a TomTom (without the Renault) and if I remember, there was a statement in the handbook

that these radar warnings were to be switched off in Germany as the current legal situation

was "unclear".

TomTom still warns that the speed trap warrning rules are "unclear" and the driver / user must decide themselves 

whether to risk a fine or not.

TomTom (in German as this only applies to Germany)

Drivers who use radar detectors in Germany can be fined. In 2015, a driver in Lower Saxony had to pay a fine for using a special speed camera app. However, it is not clear to what extent this applies to other regions of Germany and whether the police will initiate further prosecutions and impose fines.

Although TomTom offers a speed camera service in Germany, users must decide for themselves whether they want to use it. If a User does not wish to use the service in their area, the speed camera warnings must be turned off. For information on how to turn off safety camera warnings, see our FAQ

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I know quite a few people that regularly use BlitzApp. We used it on a trip to Düsseldorf a few weeks ago. How do they catch you using it?

I suppose if the police stop you and your cell phone is beeping they will know you are using it and will have grounds to look at your phone.

However apparently it's not illegal for a passenger to use the app :)

When I was still back in the UK an American colleague brought a speed trap detector back from The States. It was OK at detecting speed traps, but much better at detecting MacDonalds restaurants from half to a mile away.

They apparently used some frequency / wavelength in one of their systems that the detector was searching for :lol:

16 minutes ago, Malt-Teaser said:

When I was still back in the UK an American colleague brought a speed trap detector back from The States. It was OK at detecting speed traps, but much better at detecting MacDonalds restaurants from half to a mile away.

They apparently used some frequency / wavelength in one of their systems that the detector was searching for :lol:

They were common in Iceland 20-30 yrs ago but we didn't have McDonalds then. I don't think detectors are illegal there but scramblers are.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

I suppose if the police stop you and your cell phone is beeping they will know you are using it and will have grounds to look at your phone.

However apparently it's not illegal for a passenger to use the app :)

Good answer. Easy enough to turn off the phone when/if one sees the blue lights coming. Not likely since one has already slowed down because of the warning.

I can absolutely understand that the state prohibits it because they want people to pay. But why is it legal in the radio??

I always thought it was legal on the radio, because the law makers would have to introduce it and it just not worth it, when you consider

- There is a relatively low number of reports I hear on the radio, so coverage is low density - the APP or SATNAV  has a lot more

- When I listen to the radio, I often to not know the location, were as the app warns as you get close to it.

So the reports on the radio are considered important enough to make a law about.

my 10 cents.

One SAT/NAV I had, had a software switch, if you turned it on in Germany you got a warning that you could be finned

What I've read is that it's legal on the radio because they don't tell you the exact location.

10 hours ago, Santitas said:

Why is it legal for them to announce it on the radio?

§ 23 Abs. 1c der Straßenverkehrsordnung besagt:

(1c) Wer ein Fahrzeug führt, darf ein technisches Gerät nicht betreiben oder betriebsbereit mitführen, das dafür bestimmt ist, Verkehrsüberwachungsmaßnahmen anzuzeigen oder zu stören. Das gilt insbesondere für Geräte zur Störung oder Anzeige von Geschwindigkeitsmessungen (Radarwarn- oder Laserstörgeräte).

§ Section 23(1c) of the Road Traffic Act states

(1c) Anyone who drives a vehicle may not operate or carry a technical device intended to indicate or interfere with traffic monitoring measures. This applies in particular to devices for disturbing or displaying speed measurements (radar warning or laser jamming devices).

(Translated by deepl.com)

It's the way the law was written.

A radio is not intended to indicate traffic monitoring measures.

Now if you want to get your lawyer to argue that your telephone with the blitzer app is also 

not intended to- then go ahead.

To me (but I'm not a lawyer), the app is fitted with the intention to indicate traffic monitoring measures.