Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Job Hunt in Munich

23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

i moved to Munich with my husband at the end of last year and am in the hunt for a professional job. As a hospital project manager back home I was told there were heaps of jobs in Munich and finding one wouldn’t be a problem. I have been applying in Pharma mainly however, so far I have only received rejections. I have refined my application documents along the way which includes

- using the German format lebenslauf and cover letter which I have written in German and english (depending on the job)

-creating an account on Xing which I am told is more popular than LinkedIn here

-I can speak intermediate german which I have also included, will include my B2 certificate at the end of next month once i sit exam.

Does anyone have any tips they can add?

thanks for your help! 😊😊😊

Anna

2 hours ago, Annadeutschland said:

As a hospital project manager back home I was told there were heaps of jobs in Munich and finding one wouldn’t be a problem.

First of all, who claimed that there were "heaps of jobs" in your field?

What exactly does a hospital project manager do? Does it require knowledge of the local health care system and the relevant laws regarding running a hospital?

2 hours ago, Annadeutschland said:

I can speak intermediate german which I have also included, will include my B2 certificate at the end of next month once i sit exam.

If you are looking for jobs where government regulation is important, it is not suprising that you are having difficulty due to lack of business fluent German.

Hi Anna, a bit of my experience:

- German HR departments are, generally speaking, mere check boxing people. So they check your CV and tick the boxed on the requirement they have from the hiring manager.

They won't call you or think out of the box. So make sure that your CV is tailored for every company you apply. Make sure that all the key words/requirements are on your CV as on the job post.  

- a cover letter is almost mandatory, not a template but again create a specific one per application. You need to show you are, almost, begging to work with them and you will be grateful to have the opportunity to serve them, kind of.

- extend your CV, you are a project manager, just strip from your cv all the hospital details and brand yourself as a project manager. That will give you the chance to apply to other companies I guess.

WIsh you luck!

I agree, German HR people are the laziest, most uncreative HR I've ever seen.

When a highly qualified guy applied at my company referring to his CV on Linkedin, they adamantly refused to read it and expressed confusion about what they were supposed to to do.

I applied for a job via email.

The German multinational eventually replied via snail mail...

with a rejection letter and a printed out copy of my CV.

Talk about kicking and screaming, whilst being dragged into the 21st century

What qualifications (acceptable to German companies) do you have on paper, I mean certificates.

German HR people do indeed work with tick boxes, no correct certificate no job, not even an interview.

After 17 years with a company (10 in UK, then 7 here in DE) covering first the fields of sales support then as a business analyst  here recommending improvements for the dep't manager I was made redundant due to cost cutting as the company was nearing insolvency.

Could I get another job anything like that?

No chance, I was sick of being told "You're not qualified to do that" by HR dep'ts who just ignore experience and look for certificates.

2 hours ago, travelerworker said:

- extend your CV, you are a project manager, just strip from your cv all the hospital details and brand yourself as a project manager. That will give you the chance to apply to other companies I guess.

I don't agree here. If a company has a vacancy as project manager, you need to demonstrate experience in the involved industry. In IT, for example, you need qualifications like Scrum Master, PMP or Prince2 on top.

9 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I don't agree here. If a company has a vacancy as project manager, you need to demonstrate experience in the involved industry. In IT, for example, you need qualifications like Scrum Master, PMP or Prince2 on top.

I am not at expert on the field, but if you can manage a project can be any kind of project I assume. Of course you have more experience on certain projects, fair.

It is like saying: I am a BMW driver...well you can, with a bit of effort, drive a Mini in England.
This way she will have more chances.

2 hours ago, Metall said:

I agree, German HR people are the laziest, most uncreative HR I've ever seen.

When a highly qualified guy applied at my company referring to his CV on Linkedin, they adamantly refused to read it and expressed confusion about what they were supposed to to do.

Oh boy, here too! Seems they are in a 1970ties time warp.

12 minutes ago, travelerworker said:

I am not at expert on the field, but if you can manage a project can be any kind of project I assume. Of course you have more experience on certain projects, fair.

It is like saying: I am a BMW driver...well you can, with a bit of effort, drive a Mini in England.
This way she will have more chances.

How many years of professional experience do you have working in Germany?  Have you applied to many German companies? 

24 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

If a company has a vacancy as project manager, you need to demonstrate experience in the involved industry. In IT, for example, you need qualifications like Scrum Master, PMP or Prince2 on top.

Since the OP has not provided anymore info I find it difficult to speculate on alternate career paths.

Also, project management is not a regulated field. So basically anybody can call himself project manager , print a CV and apply for jobs. 

Some companies, most of them in Germany, will be looking for certifications, but other more forward thinking will be looking for experience, attitude, etc.
There are many IT and startups around here that will give you a chance.

So keep trying!

8 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

What qualifications (acceptable to German companies) do you have on paper, I mean certificates.

German HR people do indeed work with tick boxes, no correct certificate no job, not even an interview.

After 17 years with a company (10 in UK, then 7 here in DE) covering first the fields of sales support then as a business analyst  here recommending improvements for the dep't manager I was made redundant due to cost cutting as the company was nearing insolvency.

Could I get another job anything like that?

No chance, I was sick of being told "You're not qualified to do that" by HR dep'ts who just ignore experience and look for certificates.

I only have my Bachelor and Masters University certificate plus B2 german certificate. All of my project management and business analyst skills were learnt through experience and years on the job...

9 hours ago, travelerworker said:

Hi Anna, a bit of my experience:

- German HR departments are, generally speaking, mere check boxing people. So they check your CV and tick the boxed on the requirement they have from the hiring manager.

They won't call you or think out of the box. So make sure that your CV is tailored for every company you apply. Make sure that all the key words/requirements are on your CV as on the job post.  

- a cover letter is almost mandatory, not a template but again create a specific one per application. You need to show you are, almost, begging to work with them and you will be grateful to have the opportunity to serve them, kind of.

WIsh you luck!

Thank you for your advice. I will try tailoring the resume with keywords from the job advert. I have been warned that HR here are quite bad so to try and find contacts in the companies instead! 

6 hours ago, engelchen said:

How many years of professional experience do you have working in Germany?  Have you applied to many German companies? 

Since the OP has not provided anymore info I find it difficult to speculate on alternate career paths.

I don’t have any experience working in Germany and i focus my applications on multinationals. A hospital Project manager ie implementing new IT systems with hospitals for prescribing notes etc etc 

6 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

SCRUM master is NOT project manager!

6 hours ago, travelerworker said:

Also, project management is not a regulated field. So basically anybody can call himself project manager , print a CV and apply for jobs. 

Some companies, most of them in Germany, will be looking for certifications, but other more forward thinking will be looking for experience, attitude, etc.
There are many IT and startups around here that will give you a chance.

So keep trying!

Disagree. Project Manager implies that you managed the tasks, milestones and priorities of a team before. If you call yourself project manager and never did that, no certification can help you!

All of my project management and business analyst skills were learnt through experience and years on the job...

This is a problem in Germany. Unfortunately, Germans expect applicants to have a certificate for everything and will believe someone can do something if they have a certificate for it. 

52 minutes ago, Annadeutschland said:

A hospital Project manager ie implementing new IT systems with hospitals for prescribing notes etc etc 

If you want to work with hospitals, you'd need to first work on your German as well.

Can you manage IT projects in other industries? 

I would recommend setting up a xing profile (it is used here much more than linkedin) as well as contacting a Beratungsstelle from the IQ Netzwerk: https://www.migranet.org/beratungsangebote

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

No, but it is an important tool to lead agile IT projects. 

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Exactly. A SCRUM master does *process* management, not project management. They also are pretty useless.