Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Ryanair Munich/Dublin route not available after March 2020?

10 posts in this topic

I have family coming to visit later in the year and we've used RyanAir for the past few years which has been great for the budget.

When I go to RyanAir to look for flights from Dublin/Munich there is nothing past the end of March 2020. I've had a goggle but I haven't found anything about them canceling this route. I found a few articles saying there were scaling back on their routes in Germany with a few other airports having the routes canceled but nothing about Munich.

Have I missed something? Does anyone know if this route really has been canceled?

Ryanair, stopped flying Nuremburg to Manchester, about he same time last year, which I used ...

The problem Ryan air has is that they only 737 aircraft, they ordered several hundred, but as we know 737's are not allowed to fly at the moment. So as older 737's become to old, they just stop a route, and the story carry's on. 

Ryanair only buy one type of airplane, because they do not have to train their pilots on multiple layouts of A/C - they also get a discount on buying large numbers  of the same airplane.

but now we see the downsides ....

Forgot should also say

Ryanair buys large numbers of 737, then sells them after a number of years, often to an agreed plan and price, so they always get the most fuel efficient planes. Some of the planes have to be sold to the agreed plan. When the 737 got grounded and they have to sell their airplanes. Then have a problem, to operate the routes they have, because they are not get the new airplanes and had sell their own airplanes.

In this situation, they can stop some routes or try and rent airplanes from elsewhere. It seems at the moment they have decided to cut the routes.

Thanks for the info guys. It makes sense now.

Guess we're back to Aer Lingus which isn't a bad thing, they're a better airline but the prices from RyanAir were at times hard to fault. 

I used to fly Ryanair Manchester to Stuttgart until they stopped a year or so ago. And apparently it's a route they've started and stopped a few times before. That was on business, so wasn't about price but simply because they had the only direct flight.

I don't think it's anything to do with 737s; they've always changed routes from time to time to see where it's more profitable. The flights always seem to be full in my experience, but they're not always cheap. Manchester to Nantes (near where my father lives in France) cost me something ridiculous like €25 last April, but then in August flying Ryanair to Berlin cost €250. It wasn't even last minute; booked about a month in advance. And I know they operated to Poitiers in France for only 3 months last summer, so you can see why they might stop less profitable routes to prioritise those that have higher demand for summer.

I don't know why I'm defending Ryanair ;-)

2 hours ago, Dembo said:

I don't think it's anything to do with 737s; they've always changed routes from time to time to see where it's more profitable. T

thinking is one thing, please read and you will learn 

https://simpleflying.com/ryanair-boeing-737-max-10-order/

or direct from boeing 

https://www.boeing.com/commercial/customers/ryanair/boeing-launches-737-max-200-with-100-airplane-order-from-ryanair.page

They only operate 737's and they are allowed to fly - routes  have to be cut

Maybe you can see a pattern, my flight cut, the orginal OPs flight cut and your flight cut

I always thought Ryanair  only use  Memmingen airport which is named Munich West . When we are flying to Ireland we always use Aer Lingus, we are no longer dependent upon school holidays or holiday planning in work so can choose the cheapest flights. Munich airport is only 35 minutes away with the  S Bahn from Neuaubing which means no parking fees have to be paid.  Aer Lingus also have special offers. We have booked for June and it costs us €110 per person return. Only with hand luggage.  Aer Lingus ran flights from Munich to Belfast a few years ago bur stopped due to lack of demand.

RyanAir do still fly to Memmingen but they had also been flying Munich to Dublin for the past few years which was great for cheap flights.

I do wish that Aer Lingus, Munich to Belfast route was still running as that would be the most perfect option. There was talk of them bringing it back last year but it appears to have come to nothing. 

EVERY flight I've taken from Munich to Dublin or vice versa on Aer Lingus/RyanAir/Lufthansa is absolutely jammed packed. There's very rarely a seat free so it's obviously a very popular route. Maybe when RyanAir get their issues sorted it will be back, fingers crossed! 

I would also prefer to fly to Belfast but  the  journey from Dublin to Banbridge where I stay with my brother only  takes an hour . It takes almost as long to travel to Munich Airport from Aubing ( Ca. 40 minutes ) in the S4, changing and waiting  at Hirschgarten  and sometimes longer with a car if the Autobahn is blocked. I have never experienced problems with seating on Aer Lingus flights. We never book seats  in advance as  24 hours before departure when we check in online we have always got seats. We find that only   hand luggage is prefereble as  when you arrive you can proceed to  Customs and do not need to wait . We keep toilet articles and clothing   with our relations