Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Microwave potato chips

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone else tried this? do you have any tips or tricks?

I sliced the spuds very thin using my slicey dicey thingy, then dried them for several hours.

Lightly brushed the slices with olive oil and sprinkled a bit of salt over the top.

I nuked them for about 7 minutes, turning half way through. 

they were crispy and tasty.

chips.JPG

@tor, I admire your willingness to do the work. The chips look great and I'm sure they tasted great. In my opinion, life is too short to make chips-from-scratch, and eating delicious c-f-s will just shorten life further.
Please invite me over the next time you do this - perhaps sharing your bounty will increase our life span. :) 

24 minutes ago, tor said:

Has anyone else tried this? do you have any tips or tricks?

I sliced the spuds very thin using my slicey dicey thingy, then dried them for several hours.

Lightly brushed the slices with olive oil and sprinkled a bit of salt over the top.

I nuked them for about 7 minutes, turning half way through. 

they were crispy and tasty.

chips.JPG

Looks like aubergine!:P

...that is the meanwhile-Greek in me!

the process was actually quite simple. The most labor-intensive part was slicing the potatoes, which took all of 30 seconds. positioning them on the plate took about 30 seconds...waiting took a couple of hours, then brushing them with oil and salt took about another 30 seconds.

now I have chips with 3 natural ingredients, instead of ??

I baked French fries last night (just from a bag of them found in the frozen food section, sunflower oil already on them) in the oven with some salt sprinkled on top of them. Opening the satay peanut sauce jar from last week's indulgence, I saw fuzzy white mold so went for the curry ketchup instead. Chopped some thin sliced red onions, put them in a small bowl, poured curry ketschup over them and stirred. Just ate the French fries by dipping them in that suace. Delicious! 

I often mix ketchup, mustard, mayo, and a little horse-radish as a dip sauce for fries. Maybe next time I'll go all Brit and just use salt & vinegar. :) 

3 hours ago, tor said:

now I have chips with 3 natural ingredients, instead of ??

I've been buying   LAY'S® Lightly Salted Potato Chips.... Potatoes, Vegetable Oil , and Salt.

3 ingredients

tried the micro version....tasted like thin cardboard

just thought about the last time, I was in the UK, eating hedgehog (c̶h̶i̶p̶s̶) crisps - to be correct.

Looks wonderful - I did see in Munich a couple of years ago a special ( I guess expensive ) plastic mat with holes in it, that was designed to be put in the Mircowave to make crisps - which I had bought it, then I could make my own hedgehog crisps. Trouble is were are you going to get canned hedgehog in Germany

13 hours ago, catjones said:

tried the micro version...tasted like thin cardboard

try using olive oil. mine tasted great,

Has anybody ever tried this with potato peels (in oven, not microwave)? I have seen the recommendation in a no-waste infomercial and this post reminded me of that... Haven't tried yet myself, but I am intrigued.