Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A good substitute to eggs

6 posts in this topic

Hi recently trying out veganism and just wondering if anyone knows any food that serves as a good substitute to eggs?

Depends on how you want your eggs.

As binder you can use applesauce or mashed bananas for sweet stuff. Mashed pumpkin for savoury. And soaked ground flax seeds and tofu are neutral.

If you want to make a meringue  you would whip chickpea juice (yes, really)

If you want it boiled, fried or poached though . . .  I don't know. I'm sure there's a product on the market, but I don't know it.

In addition to the above :

You can make a scrambled eggs equivalent using extra firm silken tofu (or just firm tofu if the silken is hard to come by). If you're aiming to make it seem vaguely authentic, colour with turmeric and give it an "eggy" flavour with kala namak (also called black salt - although it's pinkish in colour). I have even seen a recipe for fried egg: cut the egg shape out of firm silken tofu and make the "yolk" out of mashed potato mix - again coloured with turmeric and flavoured with black salt :D

Some mixtures - pancake batter for example - you can leave the egg out altogether and it won't make any difference.

Ground flax seeds are my favourite as a binder: 1 tablespoon ground seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water replace one egg. The dark colour might affect the appearance of your mixture though.

• 1/4 cup of plain yogurt per egg
  • 1 tablespoon vinegar+ 1 teaspoon baking powder whisked together per egg
  • 1/4 cup mashed banana per egg
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce per egg

Ideas for veganizing a chocolate cake recipe I recently made, from the lady who posted the recipe. In fact I had run out of eggs, but did have a pot of ei-ersatz from Natura, which is a lupin-flour based powder. Presumably it was reduced in the Reform shop which is next to the car park I use for the bank, and therefore the bargain bins outside the windows are a source of entertainment more often than they should be.

Anyway, even though it dated from 2018, it did the job and the cake was brilliant. 

I don't think it would be very convincing as scrambled egg, and definitely not fried!

Ow right. Tofu scramble. Geez, I've not made that in ages.
I think our recipe is from . . . . the veganomicon?