address registration

45 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a bit of a particular situation regarding my Anmeldung.

I am living in a flat that I rent here in Munich, been here 3 years so far.

My company is offering a new position, which requires me to travel a lot. So keeping my flat makes no sense.

I will be traveling every week to different German cities and over Europe, mostly for 1 week, to support my colleagues

at other locations. So I am planning to give up my flat and book a hotel room when back here.

So what should I do regarding my Anmeldung? there is no way they will understand this at the office...but at the same time 

don't want to "pretend" to be living at somebody's house.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

This doesn‘t answer your question, but: where are you going to leave all of your „stuff“ while you‘re traveling?

On 16/02/2020, 16:36:47, martinamr said:

This doesn‘t answer your question, but: where are you going to leave all of your „stuff“ while you‘re traveling?

Hi, you are right, doesn't answer my question at all :)...so details on that won't help other people to help me here.

Anyways I am sharing with you: I am selling some old stuff, giving away other, and leaving a couple of boxes at my office.

On 15.2.2020, 19:30:26, travelerworker said:

I will be traveling every week to different German cities and over Europe, mostly for 1 week, to support my colleagues

at other locations. So I am planning to give up my flat and book a hotel room when back here.

So what should I do regarding my Anmeldung?

You need to abmelden if you are no longer living in Germany. Please note that this will have legal consequences regarding taxes, residence permit, health insurance etc. 

4 minutes ago, engelchen said:

You need to abmelden if you are no longer living in Germany. Please note that this will have legal consequences regarding taxes, residence permit, health insurance etc. 

I know, that would be easy. That is why the situation is tricky because I will be living in Germany, but traveling around. 

One week at the Berlin office, one week at a client's in Nuremberg, 2 weeks at another client location in Frankfurt, etc.
Then going back "home" to Munich for 1 week.

Keep your flat.

At some stage in the future you will not be doing this job and you will need somewhere to hang your hat on a more permanent basis.

11 minutes ago, onemark said:

Keep your flat.

At some stage in the future you will not be doing this job and you will need somewhere to hang your hat on a more permanent basis.

Thank you for your advice. Anyways my maths goes like this: 1200 euro I am paying now for rent - 400 euro for a hotel (avg) 1 week = saving 800 euro monthly. After 1 year is 9600 euro.

I prefer the 9600 euro :)

On 25/02/2020, 15:58:37, travelerworker said:

I know, that would be easy.

Not easy, but rather the only legal option.

25 minutes ago, travelerworker said:

Thank you for your advice. Anyways my maths goes like this: 1200 euro I am paying now for rent - 400 euro for a hotel (avg) 1 week = saving 800 euro monthly. After 1 year is 9600 euro.

I prefer the 9600 euro :)

Then get a cheaper apartment. 

Your "money saving idea" could end up being very expensive for you if you are caught lying to the authorities. 

6 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Not easy, but rather the only legal option.

Then get a cheaper apartment. 

Your "money saving idea" could end up being very expensive for you if you are caught lying to the authorities. 

"but rather the only legal option." unless you are a lawyer I won't take that for granted :)

"lying to the authorities" that is not correct, I am making this post precisely because I don't want to lie and I want to reflect my situation as good as possible. Quite the opposite would be to declare I am living on a flat that I only spend 5 days per month, that would be lying. :)

Just now, RenegadeFurther said:

Then rent a flat in Bautzen or in East Germany outside the major towns. 

I don't know how anyone thinks it is a good idea to rent a flat somewhere I don't live, don't live there, keep it empty, just to do the address registration...

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

What address are you going to use for your employer,  health and any other insurance, tax authorities?   

good thinking, I need to figure out that, I will check with HR what is possible in this scenario...they were not really knowledgable about the address registration...

Sublet your apartment with you as “roommate” for one year or whatever suits you. It’s Munich. Problem solved.

48 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Ok let us know how you get on.  And any other things that need an address.

3 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

Driving licence, passport, bills, warranties etc.

1 hour ago, travelerworker said:

400 euro for a hotel (avg) 1 week

in Munich?  

that estimate is not accurate, on average, so unless you have a very particular hotel in mind, I have a hard time believing this.

1 minute ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Add extra costs for washing, ironing, eating out, etc.

and where will he live on the weekends?  Will the employer cover hotel costs in his assignment city for non-working days?

Employers don't cover that. I have some colleagues on a long project assignment in one particular city and then we get a furnished apartment since this is cheaper than hotels. In other projects you typically have a hotel from Monday to Thursday (Fridays home-office and laundry day).