Tax on meat for the sake of preventing animal cruelty

26 posts in this topic

Consultants to the ministry of agriculture suggested to introduce a special tax on meat of 40 cent/kg which should be forwarded to farmers in order to allow them to improve the conditions under which animals are kept.

Would that work? Would there be enough popular support? I´m a bit sceptical that a tax alone would help. I think they must create more awareness of the problem. Maybe it should be mandatory to depict suffering animals on the package of meat just as there are pictures e. g. of cancerous lungs on cigarette packages. Or texts like: "for the sake of allowing you to buy this Schnitzel 10 cents cheaper the piglet was castrated without anesthesia (and don´t think it´s just a quick cut - they have to squeeze out the testicles as well)".

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

The farmers wouldn't get half of it after all the bureaucracy was paid. How could they control what the money was spent on?

Too funny! :D

Just as they control that e. g. hygiene regulations in restaurants are followed. Have authorities inspect stables. If need be raise 10 cents more to cover the cost of enforcement.

I don't think they can hire a few hundred inspectors and pay their pensions on 10 cents per kilo. What about all the imported meat?

This is getting nuttier and nuttier.

1 hour ago, BradinBayern said:

How about they spend the money on developing lab grown meat?   

As much as I´d like to buy that I doubt this is feasible. Plus it would take too long.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I don't think they can hire a few hundred inspectors and pay their pensions on 10 cents per kilo

Then replace 10 cents by whatever is necesssary.

What about all the imported meat?

Would have to be taxed the same way as well. Otherwise there would soon hardly any German meat be offered.

2 minutes ago, jeba said:

As much as I´d like to buy that I doubt this is feasible. Plus it would take too long.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/10/lab-grown-meat-could-be-on-store-shelves-by-2022-thanks-to-future-meat-technologies/

Nahmias says using a refrigerator-sized bioreactor, a manufacturer could get about half a ton of meat and fat in about 14 days. In about one month, growers can make an amount of meat equivalent of two cows’ worth of meat (a cow takes about 12 to 18 months to raise for slaughter).

They need to get the price down though.  

How to inspect the farms from which the foreign meat comes which is the whole purpose, right?

Too many holes.

Obviously, you couldn´t enforce German regulations in other countries. But you could enforce it in Germany at least. And tax foreign sourced meat as well. Plus you could make it mandatory to let customers know where things are sourced from. That´s being done now already for many products.

Doesn't Switzerland have it's own unique standards on meat? And that EU-standards aren't compatible with Swiss meat standards?

I seem to remember being told that people were not supposed to bring meat from Germany across the border in to Switzerland, but I don't know if it's true or at least more nuanced than that.

6 hours ago, jeba said:

Consultants to the ministry of agriculture suggested to introduce a special tax on meat of 40 cent/kg which should be forwarded to farmers in order to allow them to improve the conditions under which animals are kept.

Would that work?

Work for what? Improve the conditions or to reduce meat consumption? 40c/kg will not be even noticeable on the final meat price.

6 hours ago, jeba said:

Would there be enough popular support? I´m a bit sceptical that a tax alone would help. I think they must create more awareness of the problem. Maybe it should be mandatory to depict suffering animals on the package of meat just as there are pictures e. g. of cancerous lungs on cigarette packages. Or texts like: "for the sake of allowing you to buy this Schnitzel 10 cents cheaper the piglet was castrated without anesthesia (and don´t think it´s just a quick cut - they have to squeeze out the testicles as well)".

What problem are you talking about? Existing conditions or cruelty? I think you took this topic, which seems to be about conditions, and transformed into your personal view about cruelty, which are completely different topics.

22 minutes ago, Mackle said:

I seem to remember being told that people were not supposed to bring meat from Germany across the border in to Switzerland, but I don't know if it's true or at least more nuanced than that.

The Swiss can and do bring meat across the border from Germany, but have strict amount limits (on certain dairy and alchohol products as well) and are fined if they are caught exceeding them.  They flood Konstanz on the weekends, especially for large shopping trips and to avoid VAT.  The stores have to give them paperwork (frustrating for store employees) in order to claim back their 19% VAT.  We locals avoid Swiss shopping days because they are much more crowded and hectic.  The pros and cons of the current system are a hotly debated topic in this region.  

My Swiss friends each have a story about riding the bike over, buying some meat a few ounces over the limit, and feeling cheeky about riding back home with the purchase.  Sometimes the prices are so much better here it's not even worth worrying about the VAT refund.  I live a 10 minute walk from the Swiss border, an expensive but absolutely beautiful country.

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

What problem are you talking about? Existing conditions or cruelty?

Cruel conditions.

There are already Tierhaltung levels 1-4 shown on packaged meat in all major supermarkets.  If we buy meat, we always buy premium level 4 for higher animal welfare.  My husband complained at first as the price is higher though when he became aware of farming horrors, he's fine with it.  We also only buy Weidemilch.  

https://www.haltungsform.de/

https://bewusst.rewe.de/themen/mehr-tierwohl/?ecid=sea_google_vs_nonbr_%5Bdm%5D-bewusste-ernaehrung-%5Bnt%7Cnb%5D_%7Bb%7D-+tierhaltung_text-ad_8728277707_87672934749&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlo2lx-XN5wIVx-N3Ch18DA9UEAAYASAAEgLdRvD_BwE

18 minutes ago, emkay said:

If we buy meat, we always buy premium level 4 for higher animal welfare.  

These labels aren´t worth as much as the industry wants to make you think. Chances are you´ll still buy pork from pigs which were e. g. castrated without anesthesia and "anesthetised" by immersion into CO2 (which is exactly what causes the agonising feeling you get from not being able to breath). If you really want to make a difference buy meat from free range pigs or at the very least not from a supermarket but from a butcher who slaughters himself.

On 2/12/2020, 8:17:43, jeba said:

Would that work? Would there be enough popular support? I´m a bit sceptical that a tax alone would help. I think they must create more awareness of the problem. Maybe it should be mandatory to depict suffering animals on the package of meat just as there are pictures e. g. of cancerous lungs on cigarette packages. Or texts like: "for the sake of allowing you to buy this Schnitzel 10 cents cheaper the piglet was castrated without anesthesia (and don´t think it´s just a quick cut - they have to squeeze out the testicles as well)".

I agree except tax on Halal Meat. All meat which is halal is humanely obtained

On 12.2.2020, 08:17:43, jeba said:

Do you really think they will send the money out to New Zealand when lamb is bought over the counter?

8 hours ago, HEM said:

Do you really think they will send the money out to New Zealand when lamb is bought over the counter?

Of ourse not. It could still go to support animal-friendly farming in Germany.

11 hours ago, TraceKira said:

I agree except tax on Halal Meat. All meat which is halal is humanely obtained

I doubt that. AFAIK muslim butchers even got an exemption from the requirement to anesthetise animal before slaughter.