Americans?

19 posts in this topic

Toytown says there are around 4,000 U.S. citizens resident in Munich, or 0.3% of the city's population.

Where is everybody?

I guess there was an "Americans in Munich" drinks night, but the link no longer works.

"The Arc" (American Sports Bar) is now closed...

I did find Champions..will look. 

For a long time, if I was out in another country I really would not want to run into, meet, or hang out with other Americans.

If I'm honest, it's still a rule of thumb because American tourists are typically very annoying.

Am wondering if this is rule of thumb for others...

I've been in and out of Munich for the past 5 years (lived one year before; subsequent visits) and never sought other Americans,

I never met anyone else from the US who lived here. Only visitors+people on short business.

This time around I have been here a month, I've met one American who came here for work and was also interested in hanging out with others from the US.

Another one I met had lived here for years and did not seem interested at all to engage beyond the event where we were. Which, I understand.

This supports the rule of thumb theory though. 50/50 so far..

Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Just find myself wanting to hang and talk with people who understand the brand of humor, regional jokes, how it is adjusting here,

I don't have to slow down my English, etc..

Any Americans left here on TT? Is it worth pitching some sort of US meetup? Or should I just go to a TT meetup?

Thanks all,

~Chicadee

I have not seen any American meet groups on TT, but I do not look all the time :). Its mainly English speaking groups, from all country's.

You may try

https://www.internations.org/munich-expats/americans   - to find only Americans, but I guess it will be full of other nations aswell.

or

https://www.meetup.com/cities/de/m%C3%BCnchen/  many groups, including Americans, but again will have other nations aswell.

or

https://www.munichskiclub.com/, if you like skiing, last time I went  ( 20 years ) has a few Americans in it. 

7 hours ago, Chicadee said:

"The Arc" (American Sports Bar) is now closed...

But The Keg is now open, with the same awesome management.

That might be a good place to start.

Once spring rolls around you can Play Softball with the Haar BBQ Disciples (we are only religious about drinking beer and Softball, so don't worry about the name).  I often drive up to Augsburg on Sundays to Play ball with the Brew Crew / Rams.  

I also organize Ski trips with a huge mix of nationalities, many of which are native-Englsih speaking.  

Send me a PM if you're keen. 

I second @El Jeffo's comment re: the Keg.  

5 hours ago, yesterday said:

I have not seen any American meet groups on TT, but I do not look all the time :). Its mainly English speaking groups, from all country's.

You may try

https://www.internations.org/munich-expats/americans   - to find only Americans, but I guess it will be full of other nations aswell.

or

https://www.meetup.com/cities/de/m%C3%BCnchen/  many groups, including Americans, but again will have other nations aswell.

or

https://www.munichskiclub.com/, if you like skiing, last time I went  ( 20 years ) has a few Americans in it. 

No problem with other English speakers (Irish, English, Australian, etc) they're just not hard to find :)

Thank you for the links, I will check them out.

3 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

Once spring rolls around you can Play Softball with the Haar BBQ Disciples (we are only religious about drinking beer and Softball, so don't worry about the name).  I often drive up to Augsburg on Sundays to Play ball with the Brew Crew / Rams.  

I also organize Ski trips with a huge mix of nationalities, many of which are native-Englsih speaking.  

Will definitely check out the Keg. Terrified to ski-but check your PMs ;)

3 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

The English-Speaking Music Ensembles e.V. still need folks in the orchestra -- and saxophones in the Big Band.  The choir is full.  Next concert: April 26.  https://www.facebook.com/events/468274884077821/

https://www.esme-ev.de/the-orchestra/

If you’d like to join the ESME orchestra, please fill out the Introduction Form.
Presently we are specifically looking to increase our lower string section, with spaces available for violas, cellos and double bass, although violins would also be welcome. We also have space for brass instruments (specifically trombones, trumpets) and for a further bassoon. The flute and clarinet sections are full.

Bake This improv still posts here, as does Entity Theatre.

Meetups have left Toytown because Editor Bob deactivated useful functions like the event calendar.  Oh well!  

I am NOT an American.. but I speak a simmilar language and I will also annoy the fuck out of you too...

I will hit you up next time I come down to Munich!!

Are you 100% American or do you have a bit of Brit in you?

Love 

Piggy.. 

I'm a dual citizen (US and German) and spent my adult life in the US (around 15 of my 38 years on this planet). And I'm about to hop back over the pond to Germany at the end of Feb. and plan to settle in Munich in the near future. I'd be happy to hang with Americans as I love keeping up the language skills I've acquired over the years (I can confuse most Americans, although if they've spend some time in Germany they are more likely to pick up the accent and also the more time I spend back in Germany the more my accent returns :( )... 

LBC

10 hours ago, CincyInDE said:

Yesss. I need to get back to skiing. Florida just doesn't work for it. I'm also terrified of it but once I'm on them I do ok :P 

19 hours ago, Chicadee said:

Maybe it's because I'm getting older. Just find myself wanting to hang and talk with people who understand the brand of humor, regional jokes, how it is adjusting here,

I don't have to slow down my English, etc..

No need for slowing anything down here  :lol: - omg if you knew the speed at which I talk, and the amount. But I know what you mean. I can't watch movies in German (just terrible) and it's tough to find friends who can follow along in English without subtitles. Once I move I'll be on lookout for OV theaters, plays, comedy shows... oh and lots of English speaking friends. 

9 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

I am NOT an American.. but I speak a simmilar language and I will also annoy the fuck out of you too...

I will hit you up next time I come down to Munich!!

Are you 100% American or do you have a bit of Brit in you?

Love 

Piggy.. 

Howdy Pig :) 100% American. [ Irish/ German/ Czech] 

If you are moving to Munich, there is a weekly Curry Night with mixed British/US attendants and lots of socializing!

1 hour ago, Metall said:

If you are moving to Munich, there is a weekly Curry Night with mixed British/US attendants and lots of socializing!

Yes, I've been following that :) Thanks. 

Related question, but specific to the big events in Minga. I recall ages ago there was a Toytown Germany Oktoberfest gathering organized. Does that continue?

Hi there,

I was wondering if there are people in and around Munich who are from the US or Canada and would like to meet up? I am new to Munich (arrived about 2 months ago) and I am looking to find people from North-America in this big city. I am Canadian and feel a bit lost in Germany still. I would love to get to know others who are from North-America and went through similar experiences.

Regularly scheduled meetups will recommence if we ever get out of soft lockdown. 

Wednesdays: Curry
Fridays: Friday Beer Garden  Ian and Gwyn have been running a virtual Friday Beer Garden with webcams over Jitsi, an open-source video conferencing platform.

These meetups are not exclusively North American, but most participants can nevertheless be understood. 

My post from February 11th is still true, although I don't think the corona virus will be tackled before the end of ski season, and softball is done for the season.