Microwave repair shops/technicians + is it worth it?

8 posts in this topic

Hello kind folks, 

I did the genius thing of putting an egg into the microwave oven- and sure enough, at some point it exploded. The fuse tripped for that section, but that was easily restored. but in the process, the exploding egg managed to crack a part inside (the cover shielding the magnetron??) and now the microwave won't come on. Problem is, this belongs to the landlord and obviously I either need to get this back to working condition or replace it. Needless to say, I am not looking forward to paying up my stupidity tax. Please help with the following:

1. Is there an inexpensive/reasonable repair person and/or a shop- recommendations with prices will be highly appreciated, 

2. Is it common to get microwave ovens repaired or is it more sensible to junk this one and buy a new one? 

Thanks much!

IMG_20200207_075120418_Easy-Resize.com (2).jpg

That is a part called the Waveguide cover there are some instructions on line how to replace. Most of the time it would cost more to call someone than repair depends on the brand.

@GoBikethank you for identifying the part- I now have much more clarity in terms of what to look for! @fraufruit yup, I saw that :) Many thanks! 

But after having checked all of these helpful leads, I came to the sad conclusion that it's very likely more than a waveguide cover issue- because there are folks talking about running microwaves w/o it as well- not recommended, but possible apparently. But my machine still won't come on. So clearly my problem (and misery) is greater. Could you please think if you know of a cheap repair shop? I could even lug the 11 kg thing there. It's a fairly cheap one - Koenic, it's just that I leave in two months max and if it can be fixed for half the price, I'd still think it a bargain. 

Mine didn't work without the wave guard, and I got one off Amazon, fitted it myself (thank you, Youtube) and the microwave survived another 6 or 7 years (not that you care about more than the next 2 months) so I would recommend having a go.